What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Today I straightened a (slightly) bent derailleur hanger using the unsophisticated method of grabbing it with an adjustable spanner and pulling. I've known about this bend for a couple of years but it was only on number 2 bike and never that bad, and I'd put off fixing it as I thought it would be difficult. It wasn't.

I've had a slight but annoying shifting problem on the rear of the Montpellier, it got a bit worse over a few months. Strangely towards the end I had to adjust the cable tension when changing from big to little chainring to get the best out of each, fortunately it has barrel adjusters at the shifters so I could do it on the fly.
Over a couple of months I have changed the whole system. Inner and outer cables, (they were 4 years old), chain and cassette which were due anyhow and the hanger when I striped the thread on it with the alignment tool.

Shifting was better but I bit the bullet and replaced the rear mech which I was beginning ing to suspect was out of true.
Finally got my shifting zen back.

Last edited:

Denis99

Über Member
Spent all morning in the garage.

Changing over to 10 speed on my ICE recumbent trike.

Fitting the a new chain, well more like almost 3 chains as the chain length is very long, rear mech, thumb shifters, grips, cables with inline adjusters.

Then fettling front and rear mechs with the cables etc.

Much prefer thumb shifters to the twist grip 9 speed that was on the trike. The addition of an extra cog will be used on the trike for easier climbing also.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Prepped the Raleigh Pioneer for winter use, with different lights.

My Wilier Montegrappa commuter's been causing issues with the RH shifter, meaning I had 3 gears into the wind today (13, 15 and 18 cogs). The cable had frayed massively and it was a pain getting the bits out. With help a new cable's fitted.

The annoying bit? The bike was about to come off the road for a complete winter overhaul including new chain, bar tape, cable inner and outers. So I simply fitted a basic galvanised cable, which will do for a month or so.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Spent all morning in the garage.

Changing over to 10 speed on my ICE recumbent trike.

Fitting the a new chain, well more like almost 3 chains as the chain length is very long, rear mech, thumb shifters, grips, cables with inline adjusters.

Then fettling front and rear mechs with the cables etc.

Much prefer thumb shifters to the twist grip 9 speed that was on the trike. The addition of an extra cog will be used on the trike for easier climbing also.

I have to ask, do you buy chains for recumbent bikes in one length or buy several and join them?

Top Bottom