What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lol, Ive got a small hole in my fairly new tubeless tyre that has been blowing out at around 85 psi. I made the mistake of using Finishline sealant which never fixed it straight away and the hole has probably got bigger. Ive went back to Stans which is sealing it faster but the damage is done. So Ive decided to see if a spot of sealant on the outside of the tyre (today fettle :laugh: ). The next fettle might be to take the trye off and try to patch it.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've just put finish line in my mountain bike tires. They've not even sealed yet, I think I'm going to cut my losses and replace it with something else :sad:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am trying to track down and eliminate an elusive and annoying creaking/clicking noise from my CAAD 5 road bike. I wondered whether the cassette might be the source so I took it off and cleaned it, then greased everything and refitted it.
I did a 100 km test ride yesterday and that creaking/clicking noise has gone - yay!

Unfortunately, now an irritating squeaking noise between my pedals, shoes and cleats is much more obvious without those annoying transmission noises to distract me! I'll try cleaning and lubing the pedals next. I might also try increasing release tension to see if that helps - I normally set it to minimum to make sure that I can unclip in a hurry if I need to, but I would probably be ok with it a bit higher.

Denis99

Über Member
Did you insert an inner tube into the tyre and inflate it to its maximum pressure?

I have found that getting the tyre to seat with the inner tube in is the best way to get it to seat properly.

Then remove the inner tube, by breaking the tyre seal on one side of the rim only.

Sorry if you have done this, just trying of offer a little advice.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I didn't use an inner tube but I think I seated the tyres properly - I've got an airshot inflator which seems to do a good job. I decided to give the finishline another chance since I've just bought more of it so I whipped the wheels off again this evening and had another go; the front was completely flat, sitting on the rim. The rear had enough air left in it to keep its shape but I only measured a few PSI on the gauge. I popped both valve cores out and topped up the sealant, I've got 6-7oz in each tyre now. They are huge tyres, 27.5"x3.0" so I figured I'd put in slightly more than the recommended 4-5oz :laugh:

I then wound the valve cores back in and pumped them back up to 20PSI (max for the tyres) and spun, shook, rocked, tilted and spun some more until I couldnt hear any obvious leaks. I put the wheels back on and pumped them both back up to 20PSI and will monitor them; I guess I'll just keep putting air in and spinning them until they hold pressure :laugh:

Denis99

Über Member
Yes, I have the 27.5 plus tyres on my Marin Pine Mountain 2 also.

Usually add a bit more sealant to account for the larger tyre volume.

What tyres and rims are they?

JhnBssll

Veteran
They're Roval Traverse wheels and specialized ground control and purgatory tyres. All tubeless ready, or 2bliss as specialized seem to call it :rolleyes::laugh: I forgot to check them before I left for work this morning, I'll take a peek this evening :laugh:

I'll be fettling the transmission later. 11.4 mile ride, planned to be longer, had the rear derailleur pinging off the spokes on the 34 cog.
Then the front shifter threw the chain off BOTH ways at different points.
Pah.
:angry:

So... hanger bent. Went to LBS, he said slight enough that he'd re-align it if I bought the bike back Thursday - snowed under.
During the 4-minute walk home, I'd decided how I'd do it myself, and 10 minutes later it was reassembled, realigned, chain lubricated, and put away.
Tools required: the long 5mm Allen key I'd just reattached it with.
Result. Not a spoke ping in sight, and can't make the chain fall off.
That'll do pig, that'll do.
:biggrin:

But I think I'll try and get a replacement, just in case...

Stages power meter arrived this morning so just fitted and paired with the Garmin and all seems goodwill have to wait a couple of days for a test ride though.

IMG_2650.jpg

JhnBssll

Veteran
Checked the tyres again. Front had dropped to 5psi, rear 7psi. Both back up to 20 now and another spin and a quick ride around the block. I'll check again tomorrow :laugh:

Top Bottom