What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I had a quick fettle this afternoon. Purple Ti disc bolts arrived for the new wheels I'm building so I popped them half in to check threads and colour match, pretty pleased with them. The discs are my existing black hope jobbies so should break the colour up nicely :okay:

20190208_162619.jpg

Then I re-wrapped the bars on the commuter - the existing tape had shifted slightly and was getting a bit manky in places. Not my best effort but good enough :laugh: I think it looks ace none the less :becool: Now I'm typing this I've realised I forgot to pop the seat up a few mm which I keep meaning to do when I'm next in the garage, D'oh! Maybe next time... :laugh:

20190208_162115.jpg
20190208_162103.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Flappy Friday everyone.

Shod my tourer with sensible flaps. But not too sensible.

View attachment 451386 View attachment 451387 View attachment 451388

Good job.

You will be pleased with the front flap.

Anyone riding behind you will be pleased with the rear one.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Gatorskin tubs removed (eventually :heat: ) from my son's new 3T Mercurio 60 race wheels. The new GP4000S tubs can be stretched and fitted now ready for the race season. A tub (from somewhere) also needs to be fitted to his back-up wheelset.

Cleaned and lubricated the Eastway R4.0.

Cleaned and got the Dawes Galaxy I picked up all working, including unsticky-ing the crank, wheel polishing, fitting new bar tape and a decent saddle:

dscf6161-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
Gatorskin tubs removed (eventually :heat: ) from my son's new 3T Mercurio race wheels. The new GP4000S tubs can be stretched and fitted now ready for the race season. A tub (from somewhere) also needs to be fitted to his back-up wheelset.

Cleaned and lubricated the Eastway R4.0.

Cleaned and got the Dawes Galaxy I picked up all working, including unsticky-ing the crank, fitting new bar tape and a decent saddle:

Nice. Are those clipless pedals (on the Dawes pictured above)?

What do you do with all the bikes you fix up? Do you ride them around for a bit and then sell them on?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Nice. Are those clipless pedals (on the Dawes pictured above)?

What do you do with all the bikes you fix up? Do you ride them around for a bit and then sell them on?

Yes- I popped them on as it came "with no peddles".

Some of the bikes I keep (Principia, Raleigh Sports) but most I sell on fairly quickly. I must get about 8-10 a year road-worthy with any profit made put back into my own bikes.

I like the idea of getting old, unloved bikes back into use once more.

CXRAndy

Guru
Ive got a Genesis Day One from 2018, bargain. I like the bike, but I always like to improve or adapt.

So to make it more like the higher end Day One models but with better equipment, I've added a Topeak touring rack and MTX Topeak pannier bag. Also I've just received dynamo lights and full Di2 hydraulic disc brake set to replace the cable pull brakes. Di2 because, I like the small hoods and If I want to go Alfine I'll do it with a Di2 hub. Front wheel will be re-laced for the Shimano disc hub.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Front (hub) brake on my Elephant bike had started sticking very badly. No experience with hub brakes outside of using them but decided to take it apart and have a look.

Firstly, it comes apart very easily! secondly: as soon as I looked inside I realised it was very simple mechanically. Tiniest dab on oil on the pivot, reassemble and it's lovely again. Took about 15 minutes.

Cleaned the outside of the hub a bit too, seemed to be growing a bit of moss!

D

Deleted member 1258

A little fettle for me this evening, bottom bracket on my fixed was as rough as a badgers a**e, and by the time I'd got its replacement was showing free play so changed it and had a bit of a clean up whilst I was doing it.

IMG_20190217_202011.jpg

mgs315

Got round to re-lubing the chain on the commuter as I’ve decided to take it away with me whilst on business for a few rides up Birmingham way.

As I’ve not ridden it for a month (due to working nights over a large area) or bothered to clean it at all the damn thing wouldn’t even bend/straighten round the cogs. Oops. All fixed now.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A friend needed 2 new tyres on her bike. She bought them last year just as winter was approaching but they got put to one side until today when the bike was brought out of hibernation. She had never fitted tyres before so I showed her what to do and kept an eye on progress.

Luckily, the tyres went on fairly easily. (I explained that there are some combinations of rim and tyre that can be really tight. I had one such evil combination which almost defeated me once, sitting knackered and sweating at the side of a Spanish mountain road on a blazing hot day - I think it took me about 40 minutes to get that tyre back on!)

Anyway - the new tyres look pretty good. I'd ordered slightly bigger ones than she had on before (1.75" rather than 1.5" because she had been complaining about the bumpiness of some of the surfaces we'd ridden on last year). The bike had been my first mountain bike - an old non-suspension Orange which is way too small for me so I'd given it to her after putting a rack and semi-slick tyres on it.

We rode the (Morecambe) Bay Way together in 2017 and had a week in Wales last year. We'll try and make time for another cycling break this year so it is good to get the bike ready for action. (I noticed a bit of a rumble from the rear wheel bearings and the transmission looks like it could do with some TLC too, so it looks like I will be offering workshop facilities again soon.)

mikeymustard

Veteran
A friend needed 2 new tyres on her bike. She bought them last year just as winter was approaching but they got put to one side until today when the bike was brought out of hibernation. She had never fitted tyres before so I showed her what to do and kept an eye on progress.

Luckily, the tyres went on fairly easily. (I explained that there are some combinations of rim and tyre that can be really tight. I had one such evil combination which almost defeated me once, sitting knackered and sweating at the side of a Spanish mountain road on a blazing hot day - I think it took me about 40 minutes to get that tyre back on!)

Anyway - the new tyres look pretty good. I'd ordered slightly bigger ones than she had on before (1.75" rather than 1.5" because she had been complaining about the bumpiness of some of the surfaces we'd ridden on last year). The bike had been my first mountain bike - an old non-suspension Orange which is way too small for me so I'd given it to her after putting a rack and semi-slick tyres on it.

We rode the (Morecambe) Bay Way together in 2017 and had a week in Wales last year. We'll try and make time for another cycling break this year so it is good to get the bike ready for action. (I noticed a bit of a rumble from the rear wheel bearings and the transmission looks like it could do with some TLC too, so it looks like I will be offering workshop facilities again soon.)
Are you just boasting that you have a friend who's a girl? :smile:

Top Bottom