What Have You Fettled Today?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by threebikesmcginty, 29 Sep 2011.

1. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

File the spindle down to fit. :whistle:

I'd assumed @overmind was talking of replacing a worn out crank with a different type.

overmind and C R like this.
  2. C R

C R Über Member

I assumed he meant worn out bb, but it could be the crank.

overmind and raleighnut like this.
  3. overmind

overmind My other bike is a Pinarello

Yes, I meant worn out bb. That is a good point though. Of course the crank would not fit (Doh!)

The idea would be to put a square taper spindle in the BB with cup-and-cone bearings. But of course, I would need cranks/chainset that were square taper to fit this (I had not thought of that).

I suppose the question was. Would the shell of the BB that the hollowtech was fitted to have threads to fit a square taper fixed and adjustable cups. I think the answer probably depends on the bike.

A second related question would be. Do you think square taper BB's will disappear?

4. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

In reply to the 2nd question I think not however I think it'll become more difficult to get high quality ones, much like the adjustable spindles are now of woeful quality compared to older ones.

overmind likes this.
  5. C R

C R Über Member

I am pretty sure that the theads in modern threaded shells are standard. As usual, a quick check with Sheldon should clarify any doubts.

overmind and raleighnut like this.
  6. SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey 20% through Decade 7. Yikes! Moderator

Have just sprayed bits that can rust with ACF50. I hate rusty bits.

7. Slioch

Slioch Veteran

I swapped a square taper BB for a Hollowtech one on my Carrera Virtuoso a couple of years ago and the threads were the same size, so imagine doing the reverse is also true.

overmind, C R and raleighnut like this.
  8. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

Flappy Friday everyone.

Shod my tourer with sensible flaps. But not too sensible.

2387071F-0DDC-41B3-BACF-DDC6C661FB1B.jpeg E2F028BB-9134-4C63-B072-1B697B0B1F4B.jpeg B7EEA8FB-571B-4CC0-9B2F-3CFCE7A0006E.jpeg

palinurus, DCLane, dave r and 6 others like this.
  9. JhnBssll

JhnBssll Über Member

I had a quick fettle this afternoon. Purple Ti disc bolts arrived for the new wheels I'm building so I popped them half in to check threads and colour match, pretty pleased with them. The discs are my existing black hope jobbies so should break the colour up nicely :okay:

20190208_162619.jpg

Then I re-wrapped the bars on the commuter - the existing tape had shifted slightly and was getting a bit manky in places. Not my best effort but good enough :laugh: I think it looks ace none the less :becool: Now I'm typing this I've realised I forgot to pop the seat up a few mm which I keep meaning to do when I'm next in the garage, D'oh! Maybe next time... :laugh:

20190208_162115.jpg 20190208_162103.jpg

palinurus, DCLane, dave r and 4 others like this.
  10. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guru

Good job.

You will be pleased with the front flap.

Anyone riding behind you will be pleased with the rear one.

11. DCLane

DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Gatorskin tubs removed (eventually :heat: ) from my son's new 3T Mercurio 60 race wheels. The new GP4000S tubs can be stretched and fitted now ready for the race season. A tub (from somewhere) also needs to be fitted to his back-up wheelset.

Cleaned and lubricated the Eastway R4.0.

Cleaned and got the Dawes Galaxy I picked up all working, including unsticky-ing the crank, wheel polishing, fitting new bar tape and a decent saddle:

dscf6161-jpg.jpg

Last edited: 12 Feb 2019
  12. overmind

How do Tannus tyres compare to Marathon+ (both Pricewise and Qualitywise)?

13. overmind

Nice. Are those clipless pedals (on the Dawes pictured above)?

What do you do with all the bikes you fix up? Do you ride them around for a bit and then sell them on?

14. DCLane

DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Yes- I popped them on as it came "with no peddles".

Some of the bikes I keep (Principia, Raleigh Sports) but most I sell on fairly quickly. I must get about 8-10 a year road-worthy with any profit made put back into my own bikes.

I like the idea of getting old, unloved bikes back into use once more.

15. overmind

Yes, me too. Agree 100%.

Illaveago, JhnBssll and 13 rider like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice