What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I'd say that rear sprocket was knackered but it'll still mesh with the worn chain.

It looks worse in the photos than in real life. In the first photo it's still covered in gunk and gives the impression of hooked teeth. That said, it's definitely approaching the end of it's life, however, as you say it's still meshing with the chain so that will do me!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Sometimes you gotta roll what you got.

CXRAndy

Guru
Finished my Shimano dynamo hub setup,. wired up and tested. I applied a good dollop of die electric grease on the hub connection to prevent moisture and water spoiling the terminal. Heat shrink sections of wiring to give a little extra protection, used insulation tape to hide cable behind rack and along side rear brake hose .

I ll inject 70 mil of sealant into inner tubes so i can forget about punctures, well almost :smile:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This evening I've been mostly fitting tubs: my son's 3T Mercurio 60mm race wheels got a pair of GP4000s tubs and his backup Novatec Chinese 60mm wheels got a mixed pair of Tufo and GP4000s as that was all I had left.

Jantex 14 tape is lovely to use (on the 3T pair) and standard Jantex tape is a pain by comparison (on the Novatec pair)

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I fitted one of the two remaining cateye bm300 mirrors yesterday. The one on the bike was snapped thanks to an incident with a big heavy bus following 2 feet from my back tyre which scared the sh&& out of me causing me to fall off.

delb0y

Legendary Member
I've put mudguards on the Toughroad. A few times this winter I've come home plastered, and the bike has been getting equally mucky. So I bit the bullet and bought the widest SKS Chromos I could find (on account of the bike has 40mm tyres). The fitting was a bit Heath Robinson as the bike doesn't seem designed to have mudguards. But it's all done now. Right, when's winter?

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Happiness is a clean cassette:

image.jpeg

Nine of Campagnolo's finest.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Another day, another bike. I was giving my Winter bike it's biannual wash and the cassette was so filthy I decided to take it off to clean:

image.jpeg

After that was done, I gave the axle a turn and it felt pretty nasty too. Out it came:

image.jpeg

Taking the cassette body out to find an errant bearing! Of course I dropped one. It is the law. Could I find the damned thing? I gave up in the end and when I hauled myself to the vertical, I found it stuck to my hand!

I'll post an 'after' shot if I get it all back together!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Set up son's race bike with cassettes on both sets of wheels, then fitted carbon pads to his Cervelo S3 as he's moved to carbon wheels. He did a 'shakedown test' ride of the final new build afterwards and all's good for his first race next week.

T-cut and polished the Raleigh Sports, with some adjustments during a test ride on the Hammerstones circuit in Elland: https://www.strava.com/activities/2169341971
It's not quick but rolls fine - not bad for a 69 year-old bike.

Removed the tub from a track wheel - it's getting a Tufo and I'll have a 50mm carbon front / disc rear on my track bike. Swapped some track wheels about.

Then I had a sort out of the cassettes I've got spare; cleaned, boxed and labelled. I've enough to last me a few months.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Diagnosed unknown race bike at the co-op, as the frame is not terrible, and fairly light aluminum, yet it has dire and outmoded BB and groupset on it, I'm figuring generic origins. We may, if a chain fits, make it a single speed, but it has vertical drop outs, so if the chain doesn't fit, we've got problems.

Top Bottom