What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I got my best bike out of hibernation yesterday, ready for tomorrow's (hopefully) sunny metric century. I went for a little tour of the local hills and was enjoying riding a lightweight machine again - it is 4+ kgs lighter than my winter bike.

All went well until a steep descent back towards Todmorden. Up until that point in the ride I hadn't done any serious braking. This was 15% down to a tight bend and I could see gravel patches ahead of me. I pulled hard on the RH brake lever and instantly remembered that I had pretty much worn the front brake blocks out last autumn and had intended to replace them over the winter ... :eek:

The levers pulled almost to the bars before I managed to slow down enough.

So, today I set about fettling the front brakes.

A load of old blocks!

Load of old blocks.jpg

I remembered that I had several sets of spares so this should be a quick job.

A load of NEW blocks!

Spare brake blocks.jpg

Hang on ... those are the wrong type. I have 2 different types of Campagnolo brakes and those blocks are for the OTHER type - damn!

Ah, but then I remembered that I had taken the brakes off an old bike when I turned it into a dedicated turbo machine. (Who needs brakes on a turbo trainer?) I must have put them somewhere safe. And I had - in an old biscuit tin in the corner of my work area, along with numerous other little bike bits.

All I had to do was to transplant the brake shoes and put the new blocks in. Scrub that - the blocks in the other brake shoes were fine, so my spares can remain spare for now.

Old vs New

Old brake blocks vs new blocks.jpg

NB
  • Note the different lengths, shapes, and slot patterns
  • Yes, I can see that the old block had been a little low on the rim!
  • And yes, the photo is out of focus - I couldn't operate the touch-screen focus properly because I had a camera in one hand and the brake bits in the other. (I did try setting the focus with the tip of my nose, but that clearly was not very successful! :laugh:)

JhnBssll

Veteran
A partial fettle for me today. I popped the Roubaix in to the lbs last Friday to diagnose rear mech issues while I was working away and picked it up again today - I had bought and fitted a 'bargain' pair of R6870 Di2 mechs on eBay and the rear wouldn't shift in to the top two sprockets :sad: Turns out it's knackered so it's going back to the seller who has been very reasonable about it. I found a brand new one for not much more money at chain reaction so have ordered it for delivery tomorrow. I've also swapped the first of the levers for an older R785 unit which works electrically but I have run out of olives so can't connect the brake hose until tomorrow :rolleyes: I'll pop the other R785 lever on tomorrow hopefully when my olive stocks have been replenished :laugh: With mechs and shifters swapped tomorrow it will be all ready to sell when the time comes. The R8050/8070 bits that have come off are all cleaned up and ready to fit to the new frameset when I've chosen and ordered it :laugh:

Oh, and I took the opportunity to give it a polish with some Velo21 carnuba wax :becool: I'm more than a little concerned I'm going to want to keep it...

20190301_212456.jpg
20190301_204805.jpg
20190301_204717.jpg

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've almost completed the fettle now - everything is installed, just some minor adjustments needed. The Di2 battery is dead so is currently charging - when I get back from dinner I'll check the firmware is all up to date and adjust the brake calipers as the new discs are rubbing slightly :okay: It's all working beautifully, I shouldn't have any trouble selling it when the time comes ^_^

20190302_180721.jpg
20190302_181647.jpg

I also cleaned the Bianchi after taking it out on the club ride this morning while the Roubaix was in bits :okay:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Minor jobs; cleaned my 14yo's Carrera Tanneri winter commuter and my Wilier Montegrappa.

Then cleaned the paintwork and head badge plus mudguards on the 1950 Raleigh Sports with Autosol: standard polish didn't do anything. Finally, I re-painted the red parts of the Raleigh head badge - went over a couple of lines by a tiny bit so I'll clean that off once it's got tacky. It looks much better being shiny although any paint marks will stay.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Firmware updated on both shifters and replacement discs trued, turns out the calipers were quite well centred afterall :laugh: I was due to take part in my second reliability ride of the year tomorrow but having looked at the weather forecast I might not bother, the first one was grim enough and this one is looking just as wet but with the added bonus of 30mph wind :rolleyes:

JhnBssll

Veteran
Cleaned, polished, lubed and re-indexed the commuter :okay: None of which really needed doing but the SO is out with friends and I was at a loose end so :whistle:

I love this bike, it's potentially even my favourite which is a bit weird :laugh: If I had to keep two and get rid of the rest it would be this and the Stumpjumper I think...

20190303_152705.jpg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Chains cleaned & lubed on 6 bikes.
Gear changes adjusted on 3 of these by sorting out the play in the cables.
Gear changes on 4th bike (29er) required use of hanger adjustment tool & cable play sorting. This bike also needed a quick clean.
Swaped the casette on the 7th bike from 11-28 to 12-25 with the 11-28 going on to the spare wheel.
Nothing done on the 8th bike as it's only been ridden once this year, and that was in the dry.

Top Bottom