What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I believe Pletscher deliberately make the weight bearing part of the stand dig into the bike in a crude attempt to prevent it slipping to stop the stays being crushed by overzealous idiots overtightening the clamp.

20190307_224937.jpg

Hence the raised ridges.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Just re-bled the brakes on the Roubaix after swapping the shifters over last week. They were passable before but feel great now :okay: Also swapped the black disc bolts on the commuter for blue ti jobbies :shy: I also machined a mil or so off the side of the disc caliper and repainted it as it was catching on the spokes in certain conditions which isn't ideal :laugh:

JhnBssll

Veteran
Put up a couple of banners to decorate the garage slightly :okay::laugh:

20190309_171539.jpg

I bought a rather beaten up old pewter tankard at a jumble sale today. I thought that it would be fun trying to reshape it.
I found that I could get most of the dents out by pressing them out with my fingers and thumbs. The first picture is how it looked after easing some of the dents out. The other dents which were a bit more difficult I used a wooden hammer handle to ease them out.
The final pictures show how it looked after a polish.
IMGP9843.JPG
IMGP9848.JPG

Attachments

• IMGP9845.JPG
    IMGP9845.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMGP9844.JPG
    IMGP9844.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMGP9849.JPG
    IMGP9849.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 20
Re-wrapped the bar tape on the Claude Butler, putting strips of old gel tape on the tops and into the hooks to make a more comfortable ride, hopefully. Incidentally, I use Cinelli gel tape and this is easy to unwrap and re-use. I think that as I get older comfort is more important especially over those hidden pot holes lurking in the puddles.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
The refurbishment of the Specialized is now completed. Cables and rear shifter replaced, new tires and saddle and mudguards added. Alas I had to get the bottom bracket changed by the LBS as I was unable to shift the crank with the tools available.

Yesterdays trial run was challenging with two roads blocked by falen trees and a headwind that reduced me to the granny ring on the flat.
WP_20190310_11_21_54_Pro.jpg

I thought that I would share this with you. After several occasions when my chain jumped the chain rings, which was I thought perhaps of a poor gear change but more than likely coincided with a poor road surface I decided to do something about it. When I bought my Vitus it had a chain catcher already built in. Now I know that you can buy them but looked at how they worked. I used an old cycle light mounting bracket which had the same diameter as the seat tube. I then angled it so that is did`nt foul the inner chain ring. It works, simples ! The chain has not jumped off since. I dare say that others have made their own chain catchers as well so don`t want to infringe other copyrights !
Homemade chain catcher.jpg

Top Bottom