What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Replaced a bottom bracket for the first time evah, after several decades of cycling, always used lbs before.

Like most jobs, easier doing it than thinking about it. Wondered what the point of the flimsy plastic tube in the middle is.

Wholesale clean and fettle tomorrow as bike is beyond filthy after winter commuting, needs a chain replacement and discovered a broken spoke too.

Need to be ready for the vernal equinox now!

Thanks, I'll have a crack at that. :okay:

Bingo! :wahhey:

The lever gave a fairly large click and the cage is now well away from the chain.

I feel like such a doofus... :blush:

P.S. Hope these aren't famous last words...

Bingo! :wahhey:

The lever gave a fairly large click and the cage is now well away from the chain.

I feel like such a doofus... :blush:

P.S. Hope these aren't famous last words...
Pleased all sorted. It took me a while several years back to realise about the trim function. You may find that when you are in the larger sprockets you may have to trim back but be careful as you may also end up changing down to the smaller chainwheel by mistake. Best to try it without riding just to get the hang of things.

Pleased all sorted. It took me a while several years back to realise about the trim function. You may find that when you are in the larger sprockets you may have to trim back but be careful as you may also end up changing down to the smaller chainwheel by mistake. Best to try it without riding just to get the hang of things.

Yeah, that makes sense. :okay:

Am hoping that things just got knocked out of kilter when I hit the deck and that it will now be fine. Managed to get everything else sorted - except for the chain fouling the FD cage.

Edited to say that I have microshift shifters fitted, so separate levers to change up and down.

Last edited:

Tom B

Guru
Bleugh it's been wet this week... Every commute.

So I've hosed down the bike with warm water. Sprayed and lubed.

The rear brake lever reservoir is still cracked and losing fluid so I've refilled the brakes. (anyone selling a LH Shimano BRL615 ?)

I'm now going rummage through my old waterproof stuff for a large bit of waterproof fabric to have a go at making the little lad a Cape for when he's in the bike seat. (not paying £30 for the Hamax Cape) I'm thinking a large doughnut shaped thing with an elasticated inner hole or with poppers. Probably won't be pretty (nor will the missus when she finds I've been using her sewing machine!)

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Following a good clean of the knockabout bike I finally got round to fitting the dynamo front wheel and headlamp I've had waiting round since Christmas.

All very straightforward and the lamp was great on a test ride. It's a B&M Cyo T Premium which is the dynamo version of the Ixon lamps I already have. It seems brighter than those though which is good.

The rear lamp is going to be slightly more involved to fit so I didn't have time yesterday.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Wholesale clean and fettle complete:

Spoke replaced by LBS (the excellent Rick Greens in Handforth did it on the spot), 6 months of winter grime cleaned off, new chain, front and rear tyres swapped.

Before:
20190316_121200.jpg

After:
20190316_134218.jpg

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Oh, and I readjusted my front derailleur on my own MTB. Looks like the cable slipped a bit. Nice clean shifting now.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
55D46A16-B9F6-46F1-BFE7-84D07DD19DAD.jpeg
5697F85F-1617-40A2-9B8F-A6D82309EBA4.jpeg
2ADC7CD6-2AF9-4840-8658-32525AA41504.jpeg
27AC5A18-E423-4071-BDE3-15DB0740218E.jpeg
65E9D7CD-12B1-40C3-82F4-813DA742D4DF.jpeg

I picked up my eBay purchase today, a very dirty 2012 model Genesis Day One Cross. 3 hours of cleaning and polishing and it’s looking something like. The paint on the Reynolds 520 frame is gleaming. The only issue I have is that the small adjustment screws for the v brakes have threaded, I’ve tried new M3 screws but the problem is with the thread within the brakes so I’m pretty sure I need a new set.
Anyway here’s the pics;

JhnBssll

Veteran
View attachment 457805 View attachment 457806 View attachment 457807 View attachment 457808 View attachment 457809

I picked up my eBay purchase today, a very dirty 2012 model Genesis Day One Cross. 3 hours of cleaning and polishing and it’s looking something like. The paint on the Reynolds 520 frame is gleaming. The only issue I have is that the small adjustment screws for the v brakes have threaded, I’ve tried new M3 screws but the problem is with the thread within the brakes so I’m pretty sure I need a new set.
Anyway here’s the pics;

That looks ace, love the colour! Nice work :okay:

Is the enough spare metal to drill the holes out and tap them M4?

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
View attachment 457806

Anyway here’s the pics;

That’s a very pretty bike

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
After spreading the rear triangle on my old Trek 600 last week, and changing the wheels to wider rims and 8 speed block, I added a Shimano Sora Derailleur, a newer chain, a newer tube for the rear tire, and test rode the bicycle, which is now even more fab. I also adjusted my FD on my Trek 930 26" tourer, and added bar tape and fenders. Also test rode the 930, some work yet to be done, but pretty good for being only a frame at the start of winter.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I picked up my eBay purchase today, a very dirty 2012 model Genesis Day One Cross. 3 hours of cleaning and polishing and it’s looking something like. The paint on the Reynolds 520 frame is gleaming. ;

That's a lovely looking colour, better than the usual boring or garish paint schemes! I do rate that a lot, and that's a big complement coming from me, because I really really don't like many modern bikes at all. I hope it was a good bargain price to go with the bargain saddle.

Top Bottom