What Have You Fettled Today?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by threebikesmcginty, 29 Sep 2011.

1. Shearwater Missile

Shearwater Missile Active Member

I like it. It can always double for the sermons on Sunday ! Reminds me of a paper holder I once made for doing photographic printing.

Justinitus likes this.
  2. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

Cleaned Wiggy and oiled the drivetrain after being caught in that biblical rain yesterday.

Also have finally managed to trace the source of the annoying rattle when the chain's on the big ring up front. :wahhey: Just need to work out how to fix it now... :scratch:

Illaveago and dave r like this.
  3. Elybazza61

Elybazza61 Veteran

Stripped down the Robinson and gave it a good clean in prep for a re-fresh;

IMG_3249.jpg
    IMG_3248.jpg

And now have the Ultegra spec di2 hydro shifters on and plumbed in to the hoses (working fine but might give them a bleed to firm up the lever feel),bigger cassette and Ultegra RX rear mech on plus all the Di2 bits fitted;

IMG_3250.jpg

IMG_3253.jpg
    IMG_3251.jpg

And now on charge;

IMG_3254.jpg

Just have to fettle cable position run(may move battery holder to down tube),fit new SKS Blumels mudguards and fit all the dynamo bits.

Also waiting on some single chainring bolts to fit Hope chainring as trying out a 1x11 set up first.

iancity, Illaveago, dave r and 5 others like this.
  4. Elybazza61

Elybazza61 Veteran

Chain rubbing? If so may just need a tweak on the cable adjuster .

Illaveago, Reynard and dave r like this.
  5. Shearwater Missile

Not to do with `Trim` on the FD ? or possibly cable has slipped in the cable clamp. I had this happen on the rear deraileur.

Illaveago, dave r and Reynard like this.
  6. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

Chain is rubbing on the outside of the FD cage, @Elybazza61 & @Shearwater Missile

Do I have another go at adjusting the cable tension, or do I need to tweak the position of the FD? (FWIW I'm running Claris 2400)

dave r likes this.
  7. Vantage

Vantage The dogs chew toy

It's worth a try. Don't forget to loosen the limit screw too though.

Illaveago and Salty seadog like this.
  8. mikeymustard

mikeymustard Veteran

Does the claris fd have a trim function? If the limit screws don't help then repositioning could be the answer. I had a 2300 a while back that I just couldn't get right but I put that down to it being a triple

9. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

I don't know if it has a trim function... I guess there has to be a user / maintenance guide online somewhere.

(Slopes off to have a look.)

10. Shearwater Missile

I have both Sora and 105 and they both have trim so would think that Claris would too. The easiest way to check is once the FD has been clicked over to the large chain wheel (when it rubs) then try and click it again, it may be only a small click but would be enough to clear the cage. Another thing you can try if that does`nt make any difference is : Do as previously but this time see if you can move the front derailleur by gentle pulling th cable to it on the down tube. It it does`nt move anymore then I would say the limit screw needs adjusting. If the cable pulling does move it over more then the barrel adjuster needs adjusting. Hope this helps and you get sorted. Nothing worse than noise when you are cycling.

Last edited: 15 Mar 2019 at 16:24
  11. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

Thanks, I'll have a crack at that. :okay:

12. Elybazza61

Elybazza61 Veteran

What he said:okay:

Reynard likes this.
  13. Elybazza61

Elybazza61 Veteran

More stuff on the Robinson in between gardening and shopping.

All cables tidied,chainset and chain on and working;just some tweaking to do but will have to wait until I'm back at work as I don't have a Windoze machine so can't set everything up here or do updates.

Plus front dynamo light on and working and front mudguard fitted although that still needs adjusting/tweaking.

IMG_3259.jpg IMG_3258.jpg IMG_3257.jpg IMG_3256.jpg

So still a few things to do but not far off now:smile:

dave r, LeetleGreyCells and Reynard like this.
  14. roubaixtuesday

roubaixtuesday Senior Member

Replaced a bottom bracket for the first time evah, after several decades of cycling, always used lbs before.

Like most jobs, easier doing it than thinking about it. Wondered what the point of the flimsy plastic tube in the middle is.

Wholesale clean and fettle tomorrow as bike is beyond filthy after winter commuting, needs a chain replacement and discovered a broken spoke too.

Need to be ready for the vernal equinox now!

15. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

Bingo! :wahhey:

The lever gave a fairly large click and the cage is now well away from the chain.

I feel like such a doofus... :blush:

P.S. Hope these aren't famous last words...

Vantage, tom73, Illaveago and 4 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice