What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Test ride to check out the newly-trimmed FD on Wiggy.

No more chain rubbing noises, but I now have to double click to change up and down. I can live with that. Unless there's a way to fix it? :scratch:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Wholesale clean and fettle complete:

Spoke replaced by LBS (the excellent Rick Greens in Handforth did it on the spot), 6 months of winter grime cleaned off, new chain, front and rear tyres swapped.

Before: View attachment 457739

After:
View attachment 457740

Too agressive with the brush, you've eroded your rear wheel away.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Well, something's not right, I'll give you that. When I crashed before Xmas, I went down on the drive side. Rear gearshift is just about OK now after de-squiffying the brifter and sorting the cable tension. It's just the front now...
Did it tweak the cage on the front mech out of line, it should be parallel to the rings.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I adjusted the chain tensioner on my DIY singlespeed bike.

I had made sure to get a perfect chainline between its chainring and sprocket when I built the bike. It's a pity that I forgot to do the same thing between the bottom of the sprocket and the tensioner jockey wheel ... :whistle:

Still, I only rode 3,570 km (2,219 miles) with it whirring away before I got fed up with the noise and decided to sort it out! :blush: :laugh:

Did it tweak the cage on the front mech out of line, it should be parallel to the rings.

That's probably it. Chain was rubbing on the outside of the FD cage when on the big ring. Trimming sorts it, but now I have to double click every time I move between chain rings...

So my next question is, how do I re-align a front mech?

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
That's probably it. Chain was rubbing on the outside of the FD cage when on the big ring. Trimming sorts it, but now I have to double click every time I move between chain rings...

If you have trim function built into the brifter then the trim is a sort of half click. Get it in the stand or on the roafd and give the shifter a click through it's full swing. The long swing should give you a full shift a short swing should just trim it whilst staying on that chainring.

If you have trim function built into the brifter then the trim is a sort of half click. Get it in the stand or on the roafd and give the shifter a click through it's full swing. The long swing should give you a full shift a short swing should just trim it whilst staying on that chainring.

Hmm... I run microshift, so the trim is a full click. I have one lever to change up, and another lever to change down.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

Take tension off the front cable, you may be able to do this by selecting the small ring then going for a 'trim click' if there is one or failing that back off the cable adjuster or the cable clamp.
Have a good look at how high the front mech is before loosening the bolt or clamp that retains the mech and then turn it so that the arms are parallel to the rings then tighten the bolt back up now check that the mech is at the same height as before then re-adjust the cable to where it was before.

The bold bits are the most important, the mech needs to sit at a certain height above the chainrings, there is a bit of tolerance (couple of mm) but outside of that it won't work properly so the trick is to turn it without changing the height hence taking the cable tension off so that it's not pulled lower down the seat tube.

Top Bottom