What Have You Fettled Today?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by threebikesmcginty, 29 Sep 2011.

1. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

Dropped my stem by 5mm on my Audax bike. Looking for minimal aero advantages without compromising comfort over long rides. I’ll reevaluate constantly and won’t consider any further drop for at least 6-12 months.

JhnBssll and dave r like this.
  2. JhnBssll

JhnBssll Über Member

It's my mums birthday in a few weeks and as a present this year I've offered to service her bicycle and upgrade the tyres. She has had the bike for several years now but it has hardly been used; she states the reason for this as "the tyres are always flat". They put it in to a local bike shop a few years back who charged a small fortune to service the bike and replace the inner tubes with ones that "dont go flat" - ie magic inner tubes - and unsuprisingly were dissappointed with the results :laugh: Anyway I picked the bike up last night and set to work on it this morning. It was in a bit of a state having been left unloved in the shed for a few years but has cleaned up rather nicely and is now in fine fettle. I've just measured the rims and ordered a pair of Tannus 700x40c solid tyres, once they arrive I'll wrestle them on to the rims, give it a test ride and drive it back over to her ^_^

20190202_120843.jpg 20190202_132109.jpg 20190202_132126.jpg 20190202_132135.jpg 20190202_132149.jpg

3. Salty seadog

Salty seadog Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

My birthday is coming up in three weeks.

raleighnut, Slioch, alicat and 2 others like this.
  4. Slioch

Slioch Veteran

I may have mentioned this before, but........I.....HATE....WRAPPING....BARTAPE :gun:

I was starting to find riding on the drops on my touring bike uncomfortable, so changed the bars to a set of Nitto Randonneur Touring bars purchased from PlanetX, so we'll see how that goes.

So...
    Old bars removed and new bars installed.
    Brake and gear cables swapped for new.
    Bartape replaced (grrr).

raleighnut and dave r like this.
  5. Heltor Chasca

Mine too. 25th of Feb. Thanks :whistle:

JhnBssll likes this.
  6. Heltor Chasca

Love it me. Anal. Totally anal. (Wrapping bar tape that is) Send it round.

JhnBssll and Slioch like this.
  7. Slioch

Slioch Veteran

I think that's my problem too.
    Today's faux pas was to wrap the tape to the end, it looked about right, so I cut off the excess length.
    Then, when I rolled back the brake lever hood cover, there was about half a cm of bare aluminium still showing.
    So I had to unwrap back to the brake lever, put an extra wrap in there, and as I had already cut the tape it left me a little bit short on the finish despite trying to stretch it out a bit more.
    I think I've disguised it with insultation tape, but I suspect it's going to slowly drive me nuts and I'll have to buy a new roll of bartape to do the job properly.
    As you say, Anal! (good job there's not a smiley for this) :smile:

8. Salty seadog

26th for me.

JhnBssll likes this.
  9. Jenkins

Jenkins Guru

I'm ahead of you two - next Friday. And I'm closer :laugh:.

raleighnut and Heltor Chasca like this.
  10. JhnBssll

JhnBssll Über Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Heltor Chasca likes this.
  11. Salty seadog

Ok , form an orderly queue. @JhnBssll can service our bikes one at a time.

JhnBssll and tom73 like this.
  12. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

In that case, I've got a fair wait. My birthday's not till March. :sad: On the other hand, I'm probably reasonably local... :whistle:

13. JhnBssll

JhnBssll Über Member

I'm going to need a bigger garage :laugh::laugh::laugh:

14. Salty seadog

Wait your turn little lady.

raleighnut likes this.
  15. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

Alas, alack, I am sore wounded... :sad: To be accused of queue jumping indeed... :cry:

Pat "5mph" and dave r like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice