What Have You Fettled Today?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by threebikesmcginty, 29 Sep 2011.

1. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

Love it me. Anal. Totally anal. (Wrapping bar tape that is) Send it round.

JhnBssll and Slioch like this.
  2. Slioch

Slioch Veteran

I think that's my problem too.
    Today's faux pas was to wrap the tape to the end, it looked about right, so I cut off the excess length.
    Then, when I rolled back the brake lever hood cover, there was about half a cm of bare aluminium still showing.
    So I had to unwrap back to the brake lever, put an extra wrap in there, and as I had already cut the tape it left me a little bit short on the finish despite trying to stretch it out a bit more.
    I think I've disguised it with insultation tape, but I suspect it's going to slowly drive me nuts and I'll have to buy a new roll of bartape to do the job properly.
    As you say, Anal! (good job there's not a smiley for this) :smile:

3. Salty seadog

Salty seadog Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

26th for me.

JhnBssll likes this.
  4. Jenkins

Jenkins Guru

I'm ahead of you two - next Friday. And I'm closer :laugh:.

raleighnut and Heltor Chasca like this.
  5. JhnBssll

JhnBssll Über Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Heltor Chasca likes this.
  6. Salty seadog

Ok , form an orderly queue. @JhnBssll can service our bikes one at a time.

JhnBssll and tom73 like this.
  7. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

In that case, I've got a fair wait. My birthday's not till March. :sad: On the other hand, I'm probably reasonably local... :whistle:

8. JhnBssll

JhnBssll Über Member

I'm going to need a bigger garage :laugh::laugh::laugh:

9. Salty seadog

Wait your turn little lady.

raleighnut likes this.
  10. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

Alas, alack, I am sore wounded... :sad: To be accused of queue jumping indeed... :cry:

Pat "5mph" and dave r like this.
  11. Salty seadog

And being little. 'tis the end. Alas poor Reynard, she shopped so well.

raleighnut, dave r and Reynard like this.
  12. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

So long as men can breathe and eyes can see, so long lives this, and this gives life to me! :biggrin:

I'm off yellow stickering tomorrow :whistle:

13. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guru

I'm curious to know how you will get on fitting Tannus tyres.

My local bike shop is a dealer.

I think they use a special pair of pliers, although that may be just to speed the job up a bit.

14. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Fair bit of cleaning after yesterdays ride - decided to re-grease the jockey wheels on my SRAM x9 mech. Quick job, but it needs doing regular as SRAM jockeys can seize as they run on a cartridge bearing.

My OCD had me replacing one of the studs on my ice tyres, the spares I had were the flat top type, but the ice spikers had 'pointy' ones. When I first got the tyres, I'd lost a stud, so fitted the spares. Since then, I've ordered the 'pointy' ones. Prized the old stud out with a screwdriver, then promptly 'slipped' and shoved the blade through my index finger. Bled a fair bit and took a good hour to stop - cold fingers and bike mechanics aren't a good mix.

raleighnut and DCLane like this.
  15. JhnBssll

JhnBssll Über Member

I'm also curious, I watched a few tutorials and saw the special pliers at work - I'm hoping I've got enough random tools in the garage to bodge together a makeshift tool if the going gets tough :laugh: I see you can buy them for ~£20 but thats more than I'd want to spend on a single use tool - I'm not likely to fit another set anytime soon and I doubt my mother will ride the bike anywhere near enough to wear them out :laugh:

One way or another I'll let you know how I get on later in the week :okay::laugh:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice