What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albal

Guru
Have a stronglight triple chainset, x1 ring removed as I run x2 shimano hydraulic shifters. 46-30 if anyone interested . Do plenty of Bikepacking so need bottom end gearing.
Didn't like silver so painted them black.

Attachments

• 15494723313361218347883.jpg
    15494723313361218347883.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 26

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Ended up using the Olmo Rigel I've got stored at work as my Eastway had a flat when I went to pick it up - I'll fix that tomorrow.

So ... the Olmo got new black bar tape and a Selle Italia Canard saddle. It's now ready for sale in the Spring and I'll put it back into storage in the morning.

JhnBssll

Veteran
This evening was Tannus time :okay: I got home from work and there was a parcel waiting for me - I was rather expecting it to be larger, I hadn't realised they shipped coiled like this...

20190206_181536.jpg

I emptied the contents out on to the table for a quick look, no surprises as I'd watched a few installation videos and read up on what to expect. The instructions were quite clear and my first impression was that it was a good kit and everything felt pretty good quality wise.

20190206_182201.jpg

The first step of installation is to work out which of the clips to use. Mums rims were 20mm internal width and the instructions stated to use the clips that were 3.5mm larger than this so I went for the red 23.5mm jobbies :okay: These just poke in to the holes, I pushed them in a few mm by hand and then the rest of the way carefully with pliers as they were a fairly tight fit.

20190206_182821.jpg

The next step once they're all in is to get the tyre on to the rim. This bit is best described as mud wrestling a boa constrictor with one arm tied behind your back. After a couple of failed attempts following the instructions I went rogue - I squished the tire in to the rim adjacent to the (now redundant) valve hole and clipped two of the clips in with the lever tool provided. I then work around the rim from one side of these clips, stretching the tyre on by hand. This was possible about two thirds of the way around, by which point the tyres get too tight to budge. So out came the lever tool again - one hand holding the tyre on to the rim, the other levering the next bit of tyre on to the rim. Bit by bit I worked my way around until the whole tyre was mounted, after which it was just a case of using the tool to pop the clips in on the other side...

20190206_185721.jpg

One thing to note is after popping all the clips in on the other side I checked the first side and several had not seated properly. These were visible between tyre and rim, so I went around both sides of the tyre again a few times ensuring both sides of every clip were properly popped in to place.

20190206_201443.jpg

The second tyre took less time than the first as I'd learnt a few tricks - I think I had it all done and the wheels back on within 45 minutes so not the nightmare it could have been but it was pretty tough on the arms and fingers, I feel like I've had a good workout now :laugh:

20190206_205444.jpg

With it all done I made some slight adjustments to the brakes and mudguards and then dropped it back round to mother - she seems quite pleased with my handiwork, you never know she may even ride it one day :becool::laugh:

Oh, I should also mention I rode it around the block a few times before I delivered it back - they feel fine at low speed, I doubt she'll even notice a difference. I was pleasantly surprised with how compliant they feel, plus plenty of grip on the wet tarmac I rode it around on :okay:

Last edited:

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
I need to tighten the BB cup-cone bearings on my work bike tonight. I had the replace the lock ring about 1 month ago and the replacement needs a minor adjustment.

That got me wondering. If I had a modern bike with something like a Hollowtech BB (which wore out) would be it possible to replace it with an old fashioned cup-and-cone or is the spec completely different?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I need to tighten the BB cup-cone bearings on my work bike tonight. I had the replace the lock ring about 1 month ago and the replacement needs a minor adjustment.

That got me wondering. If I had a modern bike with something like a Hollowtech BB (which wore out) would be it possible to replace it with an old fashioned cup-and-cone or is the spec completely different?
If you've got a threaded BB it's the same.

C R

Guru
File the spindle down to fit. :whistle:

I'd assumed @overmind was talking of replacing a worn out crank with a different type.
I assumed he meant worn out bb, but it could be the crank.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
I assumed he meant worn out bb, but it could be the crank.

Yes, I meant worn out bb. That is a good point though. Of course the crank would not fit (Doh!)

The idea would be to put a square taper spindle in the BB with cup-and-cone bearings. But of course, I would need cranks/chainset that were square taper to fit this (I had not thought of that).

I suppose the question was. Would the shell of the BB that the hollowtech was fitted to have threads to fit a square taper fixed and adjustable cups. I think the answer probably depends on the bike.

A second related question would be. Do you think square taper BB's will disappear?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yes, I meant worn out bb. That is a good point though. Of course the crank would not fit (Doh!)

The idea would be to put a square taper spindle in the BB with cup-and-cone bearings. But of course, I would need cranks/chainset that were square taper to fit this (I had not thought of that).

I suppose the question was. Would the shell of the BB that the hollowtech was fitted to have threads to fit a square taper fixed and adjustable cups. I think the answer probably depends on the bike.

A second related question would be. Do you think square taper BB's will disappear?
In reply to the 2nd question I think not however I think it'll become more difficult to get high quality ones, much like the adjustable spindles are now of woeful quality compared to older ones.

C R

Guru
I am pretty sure that the theads in modern threaded shells are standard. As usual, a quick check with Sheldon should clarify any doubts.

Slioch

Guru

I swapped a square taper BB for a Hollowtech one on my Carrera Virtuoso a couple of years ago and the threads were the same size, so imagine doing the reverse is also true.

Top Bottom