What Have You Fettled Today?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by threebikesmcginty, 29 Sep 2011.

1. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

:giggle:

JhnBssll and meta lon like this.
  2. alicat

alicat Guru

I've gone two steps forward and one back.

I've got rid of a problem with my shopper bike, a sit-up and beg Shimano Nexus 7 bike. I removed the internals of the rear hub and added oil and re-greased before refitting. That has got rid of an annoying noise that was accompanied by the pedals randomly jerking forward when wheeling it and added resistance occasionally when back-pedalling. On the minus side the chaincase now seems to be rubbing against the chain. Ho hum.

dave r, LeetleGreyCells and JhnBssll like this.
  3. JhnBssll

JhnBssll Über Member

The replacement front mech arrived for the Roubaix this morning afterall - but only after I'd left on the Bianchi :laugh: Still it gave me something to do this evening, I've just fitted it and set it all up. It seems to be shifting better out of the box than the last one but I could be imagining that :laugh:

20190126_200722.jpg

20190126_201350.jpg

I still need to finish cleaning the Bianchi and I've got some bits to do on the old Kona I'm building for my brother but I might leave that for tomorrow :laugh:

dave r, tom73, Reynard and 1 other person like this.
  4. My sks mud guards developed an annoying rattle. I think I've tracked it down to the rear hang bracket; the guard can move in it slightly. So I've put a bit off an old light rubber spacer in the gap.

dave r likes this.
  5. Jenkins

Jenkins Guru

Patched yet another punctured inner tube and then cleaned & lubed the main commuter ready for next week.

dave r likes this.
  6. JhnBssll

JhnBssll Über Member

Busy afternoon in the garage today; I finished the wiring on the rear dynamo light for the charge as mentioned in my dynamo thread then finished cleaning the Oltre again after yesterdays ride. I had hosed it down to get the worst of the salt and mud off it but since it likely won't be going out for a month or two now I decided to give it a proper strip down and clean before it goes in to hibernation :becool: I used Velo 21 cleaning products - a waterless spray on detailer that prevents streaking on matte paintwork and a carnuba based glaze for matte paint. I ended up using the glaze on the frame, forks, stem, wheels and chainset and my gosh is it shiny now :laugh::becool:

20190127_164710.jpg 20190127_164751.jpg 20190127_165157.jpg 20190127_170454.jpg 20190127_185406.jpg 20190127_185619.jpg

There are a couple of layers of the glaze on the frame now so it should be nicely protected if I do decide to take it out on the salty roads again :okay: It's hard to resist riding it :laugh:

7. alicat

alicat Guru

And now I've got rid of the noise the chain was making rubbing against the chaincase. With thanks to @Globalti who suggested that the wheel might not be centred, I turned the sprocket the other way round and the chain now sits slightly further out and just misses the chaincase. Happy days.

8. Time of the year, aka enforced fettling for me today, cleaning the bike again :-/

Reynard, dave r and JhnBssll like this.
  9. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

Filthy ride yesterday. Glad I cleaned the bike. The rear hub/axle had loosened and I found about 8 bits of flint and glass in the tyres. Good to be intimate with your bike.

dave r, raleighnut and Reynard like this.
  10. tom73

tom73 Über Member

@JhnBssll nice work think I may have to treat the Ribble to some. Good Matt clear is hard to find. Which glaze you used ? Velo site only have a wax is that the one?

Reynard likes this.
  11. JhnBssll

JhnBssll Über Member

It's this one, I've got the vanilla scented one but I'm quite sure it makes no difference what the bike smells like :laugh::laugh:

https://velo21.com/shop/wax-protection/velo21-ultimate-paint-work-protection/

I actually bought the matt protection kit, the wax comes with it :okay:

https://velo21.com/shop/clean/matt-protection-kit/

Seems like excellent stuff, I haven't seen another wax that doesnt ruin the matt finish but I'm sure there are others out there

12. tom73

tom73 Über Member

:okay: Thanks that’s the one I was looking at too. As for Vanilla who knows it’s the one I do for too. Think I draw the line at the cherry flavour wash mind don’t want to look common :laugh:

13. DCLane

DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

My 14yo had a slide on his new winter bike over the weekend, so a new rear mech hanger was fitted along with general check-over. Seems to be down to a patch of diesel as I just missed it. No major damage, just scuffed bar tape and some holes in his old bib longs.

Also cleaned the Eastway winter commuter, along with new GP4000S tyres and brake pads.

dave r likes this.
  14. DCBassman

DCBassman Basses or Bikes? Hmmm...

Handlebar thread, above, edited to finally add the pics!

15. New chain, on the CGR yesterday, to replace the November (fitted) chain
    Thankfully, given all the road gunk/bridleway riding, the cassette's fine
    No need to change that as well

It's the original cassette (March 2017), & this bike has had a lot of use, '365', in all weathers

The chain-rings were removed, & 'petrolled', as were the jockey wheels
    Derailleurs were doused in WD40. & wrapped up in rags, to allow it to soak through, flushing them out

Last edited: 31 Jan 2019
    LeetleGreyCells, Reynard and dave r like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice