What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
New chain, on the CGR yesterday, to replace the November (fitted) chain
Thankfully, given all the road gunk/bridleway riding, the cassette's fine
No need to change that as well

It's the original cassette (March 2017), & this bike has had a lot of use, '365', in all weathers

The chain-rings were removed, & 'petrolled', as were the jockey wheels
Derailleurs were doused in WD40. & wrapped up in rags, to allow it to soak through, flushing them out

Last edited:

JhnBssll

Veteran
It's my mums birthday in a few weeks and as a present this year I've offered to service her bicycle and upgrade the tyres. She has had the bike for several years now but it has hardly been used; she states the reason for this as "the tyres are always flat". They put it in to a local bike shop a few years back who charged a small fortune to service the bike and replace the inner tubes with ones that "dont go flat" - ie magic inner tubes - and unsuprisingly were dissappointed with the results :laugh: Anyway I picked the bike up last night and set to work on it this morning. It was in a bit of a state having been left unloved in the shed for a few years but has cleaned up rather nicely and is now in fine fettle. I've just measured the rims and ordered a pair of Tannus 700x40c solid tyres, once they arrive I'll wrestle them on to the rims, give it a test ride and drive it back over to her ^_^

20190202_120843.jpg
20190202_132109.jpg
20190202_132126.jpg
20190202_132135.jpg
20190202_132149.jpg

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
It's my mums birthday in a few weeks and as a present this year I've offered to service her bicycle and upgrade the tyres. She has had the bike for several years now but it has hardly been used; she states the reason for this as "the tyres are always flat". They put it in to a local bike shop a few years back who charged a small fortune to service the bike and replace the inner tubes with ones that "dont go flat" - ie magic inner tubes - and unsuprisingly were dissappointed with the results :laugh: Anyway I picked the bike up last night and set to work on it this morning. It was in a bit of a state having been left unloved in the shed for a few years but has cleaned up rather nicely and is now in fine fettle. I've just measured the rims and ordered a pair of Tannus 700x40c solid tyres, once they arrive I'll wrestle them on to the rims, give it a test ride and drive it back over to her ^_^

View attachment 450260 View attachment 450259 View attachment 450258 View attachment 450257 View attachment 450256

My birthday is coming up in three weeks.

Slioch

Guru
I may have mentioned this before, but........I.....HATE....WRAPPING....BARTAPE :gun:

I was starting to find riding on the drops on my touring bike uncomfortable, so changed the bars to a set of Nitto Randonneur Touring bars purchased from PlanetX, so we'll see how that goes.

So...
Old bars removed and new bars installed.
Brake and gear cables swapped for new.
Bartape replaced (grrr).

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I may have mentioned this before, but........I.....HATE....WRAPPING....BARTAPE :gun:

I was starting to find riding on the drops on my touring bike uncomfortable, so changed the bars to a set of Nitto Randonneur Touring bars purchased from PlanetX, so we'll see how that goes.

So...
Old bars removed and new bars installed.
Brake and gear cables swapped for new.
Bartape replaced (grrr).

Love it me. Anal. Totally anal. (Wrapping bar tape that is) Send it round.

Slioch

Guru
Love it me. Anal. Totally anal. (Wrapping bar tape that is) Send it round.

I think that's my problem too.
Today's faux pas was to wrap the tape to the end, it looked about right, so I cut off the excess length.
Then, when I rolled back the brake lever hood cover, there was about half a cm of bare aluminium still showing.
So I had to unwrap back to the brake lever, put an extra wrap in there, and as I had already cut the tape it left me a little bit short on the finish despite trying to stretch it out a bit more.
I think I've disguised it with insultation tape, but I suspect it's going to slowly drive me nuts and I'll have to buy a new roll of bartape to do the job properly.
As you say, Anal! (good job there's not a smiley for this) :smile:

Top Bottom