What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Spot the difference....

upload_2019-1-24_16-36-1-png.png

Is it a Geoff Koons piece.

alicat

Legendary Member
I've gone two steps forward and one back.

I've got rid of a problem with my shopper bike, a sit-up and beg Shimano Nexus 7 bike. I removed the internals of the rear hub and added oil and re-greased before refitting. That has got rid of an annoying noise that was accompanied by the pedals randomly jerking forward when wheeling it and added resistance occasionally when back-pedalling. On the minus side the chaincase now seems to be rubbing against the chain. Ho hum.

JhnBssll

Veteran
The replacement front mech arrived for the Roubaix this morning afterall - but only after I'd left on the Bianchi :laugh: Still it gave me something to do this evening, I've just fitted it and set it all up. It seems to be shifting better out of the box than the last one but I could be imagining that :laugh:

20190126_200722.jpg

20190126_201350.jpg

I still need to finish cleaning the Bianchi and I've got some bits to do on the old Kona I'm building for my brother but I might leave that for tomorrow :laugh:

JhnBssll

Veteran
Busy afternoon in the garage today; I finished the wiring on the rear dynamo light for the charge as mentioned in my dynamo thread then finished cleaning the Oltre again after yesterdays ride. I had hosed it down to get the worst of the salt and mud off it but since it likely won't be going out for a month or two now I decided to give it a proper strip down and clean before it goes in to hibernation :becool: I used Velo 21 cleaning products - a waterless spray on detailer that prevents streaking on matte paintwork and a carnuba based glaze for matte paint. I ended up using the glaze on the frame, forks, stem, wheels and chainset and my gosh is it shiny now :laugh::becool:

20190127_164710.jpg
20190127_164751.jpg
20190127_165157.jpg
20190127_170454.jpg
20190127_185406.jpg
20190127_185619.jpg

There are a couple of layers of the glaze on the frame now so it should be nicely protected if I do decide to take it out on the salty roads again :okay: It's hard to resist riding it :laugh:

alicat

Legendary Member
I've got rid of a problem with my shopper bike, a sit-up and beg Shimano Nexus 7 bike. I removed the internals of the rear hub and added oil and re-greased before refitting. That has got rid of an annoying noise that was accompanied by the pedals randomly jerking forward when wheeling it and added resistance occasionally when back-pedalling. On the minus side the chaincase now seems to be rubbing against the chain. Ho hum.

And now I've got rid of the noise the chain was making rubbing against the chaincase. With thanks to @Globalti who suggested that the wheel might not be centred, I turned the sprocket the other way round and the chain now sits slightly further out and just misses the chaincase. Happy days.

JhnBssll

Veteran
@JhnBssll nice work think I may have to treat the Ribble to some. Good Matt clear is hard to find. Which glaze you used ? Velo site only have a wax is that the one?

It's this one, I've got the vanilla scented one but I'm quite sure it makes no difference what the bike smells like :laugh::laugh:

https://velo21.com/shop/wax-protection/velo21-ultimate-paint-work-protection/

I actually bought the matt protection kit, the wax comes with it :okay:

https://velo21.com/shop/clean/matt-protection-kit/

Seems like excellent stuff, I haven't seen another wax that doesnt ruin the matt finish but I'm sure there are others out there

tom73

Guru
It's this one, I've got the vanilla scented one but I'm quite sure it makes no difference what the bike smells like :laugh::laugh:

https://velo21.com/shop/wax-protection/velo21-ultimate-paint-work-protection/

I actually bought the matt protection kit, the wax comes with it :okay:

https://velo21.com/shop/clean/matt-protection-kit/

Seems like excellent stuff, I haven't seen another wax that doesnt ruin the matt finish but I'm sure there are others out there

:okay: Thanks that’s the one I was looking at too. As for Vanilla who knows it’s the one I do for too. Think I draw the line at the cherry flavour wash mind don’t want to look common :laugh:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My 14yo had a slide on his new winter bike over the weekend, so a new rear mech hanger was fitted along with general check-over. Seems to be down to a patch of diesel as I just missed it. No major damage, just scuffed bar tape and some holes in his old bib longs.

Also cleaned the Eastway winter commuter, along with new GP4000S tyres and brake pads.

Top Bottom