What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I noticed I'd picked up a puncture on the commuter when I was walking through the garage yesterday so spent some time this afternoon fixing it. The culprit was obvious before I'd taken the tyre off, a big piece of flint which I quickly removed then dropped on the garage floor. No doubt that will end up in another tyre then :laugh: With the wheel off it gave me an excuse to give the bike and drivetrain a quick clean, all back together now and chain mickled ready for the morning.

20190113_140603.jpg

You may spot the Marathon winter studded tyres in the bottom of that photo; with the charge commuter ready to go I decided to take the opportunity to fit the studs to the Kona commuter ^_^ I wasn't sure if there'd be clearance under the guards but with both fitted and inflated I was pleased to see plenty of clearance remaining. Hopefully the weather will remain nice for the foreseeable and I won't get to try them but it's now ready for action if and when conditions do take a turn :laugh: I swapped the rear tube to a presta as well, it was annoying me that it didn't match the front :whistle:

20190113_145112.jpg

I think I'll spend some time tidying the garage worktop later too, it's getting a bit of a state :shy:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Finally got round to swapping the jockey wheels on the main commuter to complete the drivetrain refresh - original SRAM items with 8000 miles on compared to the BBB BDP05 replacements pictured below to show the wear
Worn Jockey Wheels.JPG

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
New 10 speed chain fitted to son's MTB on Friday night and a reindex.
Fired New SKS mudguards to the Bianchi (temporarily) pending arrival of new Cube which will be assigned winter and commuting duties.
Bianchi needs a BB as the supplied FSA one is an utter piece of crap and that's just under 4000km. Needs a chain too.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Not really fettling, I took the big bundle of used innertubes that was hanging up in the shed and tested all tubes for punctures and binned the useless items. I rolled up the rest and sorted them into zip-lock sandwich bags and labelled each for size.

View attachment 447266
A like for saving and preparing to reuse all those inner tubes, but a big 'No Like' for using all those unnecessary plastic bags. And don't that kind of bag cost about 10p each?

iandg

Legendary Member
A like for saving and preparing to reuse all those inner tubes, but a big 'No Like' for using all those unnecessary plastic bags. And don't that kind of bag cost about 10p each?

Fair point. £2 for 25 bags - 8p each (but they are reusable) ;)

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
Not really fettling, I took the big bundle of used innertubes that was hanging up in the shed and tested all tubes for punctures and binned the useless items. I rolled up the rest and sorted them into zip-lock sandwich bags and labelled each for size.

View attachment 447266

I pre-talc all my spare inner tubes ready for use, roll them up and wrap them up in cling film to keep ‘em clean (and stop the talc going everywhere!). Size then written on cling film with a sharpie.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Son's winter commuter for school - a Carrera Tanneri II - keeps dropping the chain if back-pedalling. So whilst he was doing rev-out training I:

- Checked the rear mech hanger: out, so was aligned. Not that, so ...
- Checked the rear derailleur: sticky, so was cleaned. Not that, so ...
- Cleaned the chain: filthy, so was cleaned. No stuck links, so ...
- Removed the rear wheel, cleaned the cassette and removed the freehub. Cleaned and re-greased. Ah, that!

All done. He's doing a lot of his own maintenance but wanted help with this one.

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I've been fettling my new (to me) 2017 Fuji Tread 1.5.

Just basic stuff:
- added M520 SPDs
- checked brake pads (look unused)
- added second bottle cage and mini pump bracket (there was already one bottle cage on it)
- cleaned cassette, jockey wheels and mickled chain

Nothing else to do. The saddle was even set at exactly the right height for me! Next... a decent break-in ride :bicycle:

Domus

Guru
Fitted new bar tape to best bike, Cinelli Cork Ribbon in Red. Feels much better than the thin stuff fitted as standard. Used insulation tape to finish as the supplied patterned tape lacked sufficient stickiness. With this weather it may be quite a while before it sees any action.

Top Bottom