What Have You Fettled Today?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by threebikesmcginty, 29 Sep 2011.

1. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

Straightened the squiffy brifter. That was an allen key job, bit awkward with the multitool. But I can't, for the life of me, find my other allen keys. Might treat myself to some of those fancy long ones with the handles on the end. Then, of course, as soon as I've bought them, I'll find the ones I have been looking for... :blush:

Stripped off the old (original) bar tape, cleaned the goo off the bars and put fresh tape on. I'd already bought the new tape and was about to replace it when I crashed, good job I hadn't done that, as I ripped the tape when I went down. Not bad for a first attempt dare I say so myself, have to say that the Topcabin tape is very nice. :smile:

Lessons learnt while putting on bar tape. One - you really do need to keep a good tension on the tape. And two - cats and bar tape do not mix. :whistle:

Last edited: 8 Jan 2019
  2. mikeymustard

mikeymustard Veteran

Dead right they don't:
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%2Fi%2F150988460677-0-1%2Fs-l1000.jpg

3. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

:laugh:

Probably a touch of snow (rosetted) Bengal in there somewhere... :biggrin:

4. Salty seadog

Salty seadog Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

Fixing a slow puncture on the rear of the 901. Probably a bad patch from last time.

Yes I am single so I can have my workshop in the living room.

DSC_0786.JPG

eta, First patch is sound, just found another hole in the tube slightly on the sidewall. It must have been pressed hard against the tyre as it would be fine for a ride even at low pressures and take a good week or more to go soft.
    I'll check round the inside of the tyre for sharpies, it could of course be a new one and the first patch is the culprit of the slow deflation. If I remember I'll report back, if you can't wait then badger me and I'll start a blog.....:rolleyes:

Last edited: 10 Jan 2019
  5. Arjimlad

Arjimlad Tights of Cydonia

A plastic SKS rear mudguard bridge snapped as I traversed a pothole yesterday. I was thankful it was not a spoke.

I've ordered a new metal one online, but as this bike has the spiked tyres for today's freezing forecast, I bodged a cable-tie solution last night. That snapped on the way into work this morning so I have put another one on for the ride home and will just take the mudguards off altogether this evening.
    Perhaps I should have done that anyway last night, but it rains hard whenever I take the mudguards off :rain::cry:and at the moment it is nice and dry :okay:

6. Salty seadog

Salty seadog Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

Right pop pickers, we have our culprit, I've patched the new hole and on inspecting the inside of the tyre found about 10mm of very sharp thorn sticking through. This was clearly lodged in the tube allowing only a slow deflation.
    Duly sorted and re inflation about to commence. I've also just mickled the chain on the Montpellier and will soon trim the beard and shave the head.

7. youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

Inspected rim and rim tape and gave inside of tyre the cotton wool treatment after puncture yesterday. Suspect it was a snakebite - 2 holes about 10mm apart across width of tube, but was suspiciously close to an earlier puncture. Tape a little suspect but nothing else , so new tube in and inflated.

SpokeyDokey and Reynard like this.
  8. DCBassman

DCBassman Basses or Bikes? Hmmm...

9. derrick

derrick The Glue that binds us together.

I put together a Ribble E bike today, It's for a mate, not to sure what to say about it, Am going to take it for a spin in the morning,
    ribble 3.jpg

HLaB, JhnBssll and SpokeyDokey like this.
  10. DCLane

DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Tidied up the Boardman Airpro black build with better stem bolts.

My Raleigh Pioneer bit back on Wednesday for my lack of maintenance - new chain needed and fitted.

Then I collected my new arrival frame: an Avanti Circa 1 from 2013. It'll be a cross/winter bike to replace the Eastway R4.0 I have. Fitted a bottom bracket, Ultegra crankset, Fizik seatpost and Paradigm saddle along with Bontrager bars and stem. SRAM mini groupset bought from here fitted and I went wheel hunting: fitted some 10 speed Soul wheels I had spare. Just brakes, cables, a chain and bar tape and that's done - a very quick build for me. Photo to follow, but in the mean-time it should look similar to this when finished:

Avanti-Circa-2.jpg

Last edited: 10 Jan 2019
  11. wonderdog

wonderdog Well-Known Member

I PKDd (partially knocked down) a Viscount Aerospace Pro to box and send to a fellow elsewhere in Oz. Dreadful foaming at the mouth when he called as I was liberally laying about with the last metre of gaffer tape to say he'd changed his mind. Little dollies with pins stuck in them as I huffed and puffed contemplating reassembly for local sale. Just about to attack packaging with a Stanley knife when he called back to say he's take it after all ... he paid the folding stuff pronto and I consigned the box equally pronto. Off to polish up a couple of sets of Superbe Pro pedals ... they are beautiful things ... so many sealed bearings in a Superbe groupset.

Pat "5mph", JhnBssll and SpokeyDokey like this.
  12. SkipdiverJohn

SkipdiverJohn Über Member

Readjusted the headset on my old Pioneer pub bike after this morning's 8 mile ride. When I'd recently built the bike up for pub transport duties the headset of the donor frame was full of filth and rust and partially seized. Instead of replacing it, I'd just soaked the caged bearings in diesel and wiped out the races with a rag dipped in solvent, then loaded it up with grease and reassembled. Obviously having now done some mileage, the movement of the balls must have broken down the remaining surface rust and caused the adjustment to slacken to the point where there was now a barely perceptible motion when the front brake was held on and the bars rocked back and forth. I know people who ride far worse adjusted bikes than that without seemingly even noticing anything amiss, but it was annoying me all the same, so a few minutes attention with an adjustable spanner & stillsons took all the slop out and normal service was restored. The steering action is actually very smooth now!.

13. roadrash

roadrash cycle chatterer

14. JhnBssll

JhnBssll Über Member

I noticed I'd picked up a puncture on the commuter when I was walking through the garage yesterday so spent some time this afternoon fixing it. The culprit was obvious before I'd taken the tyre off, a big piece of flint which I quickly removed then dropped on the garage floor. No doubt that will end up in another tyre then :laugh: With the wheel off it gave me an excuse to give the bike and drivetrain a quick clean, all back together now and chain mickled ready for the morning.

20190113_140603.jpg

You may spot the Marathon winter studded tyres in the bottom of that photo; with the charge commuter ready to go I decided to take the opportunity to fit the studs to the Kona commuter ^_^ I wasn't sure if there'd be clearance under the guards but with both fitted and inflated I was pleased to see plenty of clearance remaining. Hopefully the weather will remain nice for the foreseeable and I won't get to try them but it's now ready for action if and when conditions do take a turn :laugh: I swapped the rear tube to a presta as well, it was annoying me that it didn't match the front :whistle:

20190113_145112.jpg

I think I'll spend some time tidying the garage worktop later too, it's getting a bit of a state :shy:

15. Jenkins

Jenkins Guru

Finally got round to swapping the jockey wheels on the main commuter to complete the drivetrain refresh - original SRAM items with 8000 miles on compared to the BBB BDP05 replacements pictured below to show the wear
    Worn Jockey Wheels.JPG

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice