What Have You Fettled Today?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by threebikesmcginty, 29 Sep 2011.

1. Salty seadog

Salty seadog Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

Right pop pickers, we have our culprit, I've patched the new hole and on inspecting the inside of the tyre found about 10mm of very sharp thorn sticking through. This was clearly lodged in the tube allowing only a slow deflation.
    Duly sorted and re inflation about to commence. I've also just mickled the chain on the Montpellier and will soon trim the beard and shave the head.

2. youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

Inspected rim and rim tape and gave inside of tyre the cotton wool treatment after puncture yesterday. Suspect it was a snakebite - 2 holes about 10mm apart across width of tube, but was suspiciously close to an earlier puncture. Tape a little suspect but nothing else , so new tube in and inflated.

SpokeyDokey and Reynard like this.
  3. DCBassman

DCBassman Veteran

4. derrick

derrick The Glue that binds us together.

I put together a Ribble E bike today, It's for a mate, not to sure what to say about it, Am going to take it for a spin in the morning,
    ribble 3.jpg

HLaB, JhnBssll and SpokeyDokey like this.
  5. DCLane

DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Tidied up the Boardman Airpro black build with better stem bolts.

My Raleigh Pioneer bit back on Wednesday for my lack of maintenance - new chain needed and fitted.

Then I collected my new arrival frame: an Avanti Circa 1 from 2013. It'll be a cross/winter bike to replace the Eastway R4.0 I have. Fitted a bottom bracket, Ultegra crankset, Fizik seatpost and Paradigm saddle along with Bontrager bars and stem. SRAM mini groupset bought from here fitted and I went wheel hunting: fitted some 10 speed Soul wheels I had spare. Just brakes, cables, a chain and bar tape and that's done - a very quick build for me. Photo to follow, but in the mean-time it should look similar to this when finished:

Avanti-Circa-2.jpg

Last edited: 10 Jan 2019
  6. wonderdog

wonderdog Well-Known Member

I PKDd (partially knocked down) a Viscount Aerospace Pro to box and send to a fellow elsewhere in Oz. Dreadful foaming at the mouth when he called as I was liberally laying about with the last metre of gaffer tape to say he'd changed his mind. Little dollies with pins stuck in them as I huffed and puffed contemplating reassembly for local sale. Just about to attack packaging with a Stanley knife when he called back to say he's take it after all ... he paid the folding stuff pronto and I consigned the box equally pronto. Off to polish up a couple of sets of Superbe Pro pedals ... they are beautiful things ... so many sealed bearings in a Superbe groupset.

Pat "5mph", JhnBssll and SpokeyDokey like this.
  7. SkipdiverJohn

SkipdiverJohn Über Member

Readjusted the headset on my old Pioneer pub bike after this morning's 8 mile ride. When I'd recently built the bike up for pub transport duties the headset of the donor frame was full of filth and rust and partially seized. Instead of replacing it, I'd just soaked the caged bearings in diesel and wiped out the races with a rag dipped in solvent, then loaded it up with grease and reassembled. Obviously having now done some mileage, the movement of the balls must have broken down the remaining surface rust and caused the adjustment to slacken to the point where there was now a barely perceptible motion when the front brake was held on and the bars rocked back and forth. I know people who ride far worse adjusted bikes than that without seemingly even noticing anything amiss, but it was annoying me all the same, so a few minutes attention with an adjustable spanner & stillsons took all the slop out and normal service was restored. The steering action is actually very smooth now!.

8. roadrash

roadrash cycle chatterer

9. JhnBssll

JhnBssll Über Member

I noticed I'd picked up a puncture on the commuter when I was walking through the garage yesterday so spent some time this afternoon fixing it. The culprit was obvious before I'd taken the tyre off, a big piece of flint which I quickly removed then dropped on the garage floor. No doubt that will end up in another tyre then :laugh: With the wheel off it gave me an excuse to give the bike and drivetrain a quick clean, all back together now and chain mickled ready for the morning.

20190113_140603.jpg

You may spot the Marathon winter studded tyres in the bottom of that photo; with the charge commuter ready to go I decided to take the opportunity to fit the studs to the Kona commuter ^_^ I wasn't sure if there'd be clearance under the guards but with both fitted and inflated I was pleased to see plenty of clearance remaining. Hopefully the weather will remain nice for the foreseeable and I won't get to try them but it's now ready for action if and when conditions do take a turn :laugh: I swapped the rear tube to a presta as well, it was annoying me that it didn't match the front :whistle:

20190113_145112.jpg

I think I'll spend some time tidying the garage worktop later too, it's getting a bit of a state :shy:

10. Jenkins

Jenkins Guru Photo Winner

Finally got round to swapping the jockey wheels on the main commuter to complete the drivetrain refresh - original SRAM items with 8000 miles on compared to the BBB BDP05 replacements pictured below to show the wear
    Worn Jockey Wheels.JPG

11. BianchiVirgin

BianchiVirgin Senior Member

' Tis funny to see a bike plugged in

12. BianchiVirgin

BianchiVirgin Senior Member

New 10 speed chain fitted to son's MTB on Friday night and a reindex.
    Fired New SKS mudguards to the Bianchi (temporarily) pending arrival of new Cube which will be assigned winter and commuting duties.
    Bianchi needs a BB as the supplied FSA one is an utter piece of crap and that's just under 4000km. Needs a chain too.

dave r and JhnBssll like this.
  13. Thankfully nothing. I had to spend a bit of time cleaning my bike yesterday after a completely wrong weather forecast, todays forecast was accurate and I've had a lazy afternoon after the club run.

14. Not really fettling, I took the big bundle of used innertubes that was hanging up in the shed and tested all tubes for punctures and binned the useless items. I rolled up the rest and sorted them into zip-lock sandwich bags and labelled each for size.

46026200984_a511f25d20_z.jpg

Last edited: 15 Jan 2019
    Jenkins, dave r, Reynard and 7 others like this.
  15. Domus

Domus Über Member

New rim brake pads fitted and chain lubed on winter bike.
    Note to self, get some more pads in stock, this weather is cruel to rim brakes.

dave r likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice