What Have You Fettled Today?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by threebikesmcginty, 29 Sep 2011.

1. rogerzilla

rogerzilla Veteran

Fitted a new master link to the commuting fixie. The silly KMC "snap on" connector I bought was slightly too narrow for the chain and caused a stiff link, even though it's a KMC 1/8" connector on a 1/8" KMC chain. I bought a job lot of traditional three-piece master links (these are also re-usable; the snap-on links aren't, which is why I bought a new one) and all is well now. The thought of a chain coming apart at 150rpm is too horrible to contemplate; you're lucky if it doesn't wrap itself around the rear wheel and the chainstay, trashing the rear end.

2. Alwaysbroken

Alwaysbroken Active Member

Bit of final fettling today on my “pathracer” build, I’m not sure what it is now to be fair as it’s a mix of ideas.

So I’ve tidied the cable routing, cut a wine crate up to fit on the back & decided to re-fit the chain guard as it came up so well.

Put a few miles on it & im amazed how well it handles for an old gas pipe town bike.

Attached Files:

3. JhnBssll

JhnBssll Über Member

That's stunning, lovely job :okay:

meta lon likes this.
  4. dave r

dave r Pedalling Pensioner

The thought that that could happen scares the crap out of me.

5. dave r

That looks lovely.

6. rogerzilla

rogerzilla Veteran

7. dave r

The only time I've broken a chain on a fixed was back in the mid to late eighties, I was traveling ten mph or less, the chain wrapped round the sprocket locking the back up, sending the bike up the road sideways after first trying to launch me over the right handle bar, I stayed on it and carried it back to my house to swap bikes and continue on to work, I was only a hundred yards from home when it happened. That night when I replaced the chain I had a hell of a job getting the old chain off.

8. I added a rack to the Trek 950, and test rode it.

JhnBssll, DCBassman and raleighnut like this.
  9. DCLane

DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Got the RH bottom bracket cup out of the Carlton Corsa using my university's bike workshop's vice. And their staff member, who then tapped through the BB shell for me :highfive:

It's now ready for painting this colour: :excl:

Last edited: 7 Jan 2019
    raleighnut, dave r and C R like this.
  10. Sniper68

Sniper68 Active Member

Removed the "Ancillary" levers off the lads CX bike.I need to get round to removing them off mine now.

dave r likes this.
  11. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this....

Just had to wind in the brake pads on my new cable disc commuter bike. Quite happy with this frequency of adjustment if it continues. The Spires were simple to set up when new and have since covered over 600 miles before I thought they could do with a trim (and far from being out of stopping power) I have a theory that the wear rate will slow down now they are bedded in so hopefully be another 700-800 miles before they need touching again?

dave r likes this.
  12. I finally got round to putting a new chain & cassette on the commuter. Ive changed to a wider ranging cassette than what the Triban came with, so I used the late, great Sheldon Brown's chain length method.
    I might have got away with just changing the chain as the old cassette looks in quite good condition but hey ho, its done now.

dave r and JhnBssll like this.
  13. JhnBssll

JhnBssll Über Member

Stripped the tyre, tape and valve from the rear wheel of the stumpjumper. I had to pump it up 5 times in 10 miles this morning :sad: I've now given up on the finishline sealant so had some cleaning up to do :laugh: It's now all reassembled with a latex based sealant. I'll do the front too if the rear holds pressure and behaves itself over the coming days :okay:

dave r and HLaB like this.
  14. I used the Finishline stuff during the summer before the reviews came out. The reviews all said it was sh1t, as I found out

JhnBssll likes this.
  15. JhnBssll

JhnBssll Über Member

I think everyone loved the idea they sold of a sealant that didn't dry up and lasted the life of the tyre. Who wouldn't! Unfortunately the fact that it didn't actually seal anything proved problematic :laugh:

raleighnut and HLaB like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice