What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Stripped the tyre, tape and valve from the rear wheel of the stumpjumper. I had to pump it up 5 times in 10 miles this morning :sad: I've now given up on the finishline sealant so had some cleaning up to do :laugh: It's now all reassembled with a latex based sealant. I'll do the front too if the rear holds pressure and behaves itself over the coming days :okay:
I used the Finishline stuff during the summer before the reviews came out. The reviews all said it was sh1t, as I found out

JhnBssll

Veteran
I used the Finishline stuff during the summer before the reviews came out. The reviews all said it was sh1t, as I found out

I think everyone loved the idea they sold of a sealant that didn't dry up and lasted the life of the tyre. Who wouldn't! Unfortunately the fact that it didn't actually seal anything proved problematic :laugh:

Straightened the squiffy brifter. That was an allen key job, bit awkward with the multitool. But I can't, for the life of me, find my other allen keys. Might treat myself to some of those fancy long ones with the handles on the end. Then, of course, as soon as I've bought them, I'll find the ones I have been looking for... :blush:

Stripped off the old (original) bar tape, cleaned the goo off the bars and put fresh tape on. I'd already bought the new tape and was about to replace it when I crashed, good job I hadn't done that, as I ripped the tape when I went down. Not bad for a first attempt dare I say so myself, have to say that the Topcabin tape is very nice. :smile:

Lessons learnt while putting on bar tape. One - you really do need to keep a good tension on the tape. And two - cats and bar tape do not mix. :whistle:

Last edited:
And two - cats and bar tape do not mix. :whistle:
Dead right they don't:
?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%2Fi%2F150988460677-0-1%2Fs-l1000.jpg

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Fixing a slow puncture on the rear of the 901. Probably a bad patch from last time.

Yes I am single so I can have my workshop in the living room.

DSC_0786.JPG

eta, First patch is sound, just found another hole in the tube slightly on the sidewall. It must have been pressed hard against the tyre as it would be fine for a ride even at low pressures and take a good week or more to go soft.
I'll check round the inside of the tyre for sharpies, it could of course be a new one and the first patch is the culprit of the slow deflation. If I remember I'll report back, if you can't wait then badger me and I'll start a blog.....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
A plastic SKS rear mudguard bridge snapped as I traversed a pothole yesterday. I was thankful it was not a spoke.

I've ordered a new metal one online, but as this bike has the spiked tyres for today's freezing forecast, I bodged a cable-tie solution last night. That snapped on the way into work this morning so I have put another one on for the ride home and will just take the mudguards off altogether this evening.
Perhaps I should have done that anyway last night, but it rains hard whenever I take the mudguards off :rain::cry:and at the moment it is nice and dry :okay:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Fixing a slow puncture on the rear of the 901. Probably a bad patch from last time.

Yes I am single so I can have my workshop in the living room.

View attachment 446511

eta, First patch is sound, just found another hole in the tube slightly on the sidewall. It must have been pressed hard against the tyre as it would be fine for a ride even at low pressures and take a good week or more to go soft.
I'll check round the inside of the tyre for sharpies, it could of course be a new one and the first patch is the culprit of the slow deflation. If I remember I'll report back, if you can't wait then badger me and I'll start a blog.....:rolleyes:

Right pop pickers, we have our culprit, I've patched the new hole and on inspecting the inside of the tyre found about 10mm of very sharp thorn sticking through. This was clearly lodged in the tube allowing only a slow deflation.
Duly sorted and re inflation about to commence. I've also just mickled the chain on the Montpellier and will soon trim the beard and shave the head.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Inspected rim and rim tape and gave inside of tyre the cotton wool treatment after puncture yesterday. Suspect it was a snakebite - 2 holes about 10mm apart across width of tube, but was suspiciously close to an earlier puncture. Tape a little suspect but nothing else , so new tube in and inflated.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Tidied up the Boardman Airpro black build with better stem bolts.

My Raleigh Pioneer bit back on Wednesday for my lack of maintenance - new chain needed and fitted.

Then I collected my new arrival frame: an Avanti Circa 1 from 2013. It'll be a cross/winter bike to replace the Eastway R4.0 I have. Fitted a bottom bracket, Ultegra crankset, Fizik seatpost and Paradigm saddle along with Bontrager bars and stem. SRAM mini groupset bought from here fitted and I went wheel hunting: fitted some 10 speed Soul wheels I had spare. Just brakes, cables, a chain and bar tape and that's done - a very quick build for me. Photo to follow, but in the mean-time it should look similar to this when finished:

Avanti-Circa-2.jpg

Last edited:

wonderdog

I PKDd (partially knocked down) a Viscount Aerospace Pro to box and send to a fellow elsewhere in Oz. Dreadful foaming at the mouth when he called as I was liberally laying about with the last metre of gaffer tape to say he'd changed his mind. Little dollies with pins stuck in them as I huffed and puffed contemplating reassembly for local sale. Just about to attack packaging with a Stanley knife when he called back to say he's take it after all ... he paid the folding stuff pronto and I consigned the box equally pronto. Off to polish up a couple of sets of Superbe Pro pedals ... they are beautiful things ... so many sealed bearings in a Superbe groupset.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Readjusted the headset on my old Pioneer pub bike after this morning's 8 mile ride. When I'd recently built the bike up for pub transport duties the headset of the donor frame was full of filth and rust and partially seized. Instead of replacing it, I'd just soaked the caged bearings in diesel and wiped out the races with a rag dipped in solvent, then loaded it up with grease and reassembled. Obviously having now done some mileage, the movement of the balls must have broken down the remaining surface rust and caused the adjustment to slacken to the point where there was now a barely perceptible motion when the front brake was held on and the bars rocked back and forth. I know people who ride far worse adjusted bikes than that without seemingly even noticing anything amiss, but it was annoying me all the same, so a few minutes attention with an adjustable spanner & stillsons took all the slop out and normal service was restored. The steering action is actually very smooth now!.

Top Bottom