What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hopey

Dunno if this counts but got a cheap bike computer for Christmas and set it up today. Don't like having finicky things like that attatched to the bike, but it could be useful. Will take it up the Pentlands tomorrow to see if it survives the bumps.

Also lowered my seat by 1 mm.

beepbeep

new turbo trainer tyre fitted...eventually.....it put up a good fight but I won in the end.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Today, I have been mostly ...

... fettling my left SPD shoe!

I have been using a pair of cheapo Aldi SPD cycling shoes for about 3 years. They are starting to fall apart now, but that's okay - I have done a lot of hard riding in them and have definitely had my money's worth out of them. Cash is tight and I don't like throwing things away that can be repaired, so I did a bodge repair which should get me a few more months out of the shoes.

I went to do up one of the velcro straps on the left shoe before setting out on my ride yesterday but the tab through which the strap passes just tore off the shoe.

SPD shoe - broken tab.jpg

I limped through the ride with my overshoe holding the cycling shoe on but a more effective solution was required. So, today I cut a small slot either side of the broken tab, threaded a cable tie through, looped that back, and made quite a neat bodged replacement tab out of it.

SPD shoe - cable tie bodge for broken tab.jpg

If that lasts me to the summer then I will be satisfied.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Had a busy morning moving cranksets between bikes:
  1. Removed the 105 172.5mm from the Boardman AirPro black edition
  2. Removed the Ultegra 172.5mm from the Wilier Montegrappa commuter and fitted the 105 172.5mm
  3. Removed the Ultegra 170mm from the NeilPryde and fitted the Ultegra 172.5mm, and a longer stem so it suits me not my 14yo
  4. Removed the Shimano R500 170mm from the BeOne and fitted the Ultegra 170mm and a shorter stem so it fits my 14yo
  5. Removed the 105 170mm from the Giant TCR, plus mudguards and fitted the Shimano R500 170mm plus Fulcrum 5 wheels. Cleaned the Giant ready for sale.
  6. Fitted the 105 170mm one onto the Boardman Airpro black edition along with new GP4000S II tyres. More suitable wheels can wait ...
And a final Boardman AirPro photo now it's all completed to finish all that lot off :heat: :

DSCF6150.JPG
DSCF6151.JPG

Last edited:
Had a busy morning moving cranksets between bikes:
  1. Removed the 105 172.5mm from the Boardman AirPro black edition
  2. Removed the Ultegra 172.5mm from the Wilier Montegrappa commuter and fitted the 105 172.5mm
  3. Removed the Ultegra 170mm from the NeilPryde and fitted the Ultegra 172.5mm, and a longer stem so it suits me not my 14yo
  4. Removed the Shimano R500 170mm from the BeOne and fitted the Ultegra 170mm and a shorter stem so it fits my 14yo
  5. Removed the 105 170mm from the Giant TCR, plus mudguards and fitted the Shimano R500 170mm plus Fulcrum 5 wheels. Cleaned the Giant ready for sale.
  6. Fitted the 105 170mm one onto the Boardman Airpro black edition along with new GP4000S II tyres. More suitable wheels can wait ...
And a final Boardman AirPro photo now it's all completed to finish all that lot off :heat: :

View attachment 445719 View attachment 445720
Dassalottafettlin!
:biggrin:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
So today I decided to fit some tractor tyres to my old Dawes Super Galaxy. We've a lot of forest trails and gravel roads around here and whilst I've explored once or twice, the old 28C Marathons were not really up to the job. So today I swapped them for some 38C Gravel Tyres. Clearance was fine but unfortunately it also meant ditching the mudguards. Oh well who needs them!

I also gave the brakes and headset a little love and attention whilst I was there. So hopefully I can find some time in the next weeks to go exploring.

IMG_20190105_175512083.jpg

IMG_20190105_174539015.jpg

13 rider

Guru
New conti gp tyre fitted to the giant . Had a puncture 3 weeks ago which damaged the side wall slightly so better safe than sorry despite not having much wear on it I decided to change it . Been running the original giant stock wheel which came with the bike which I dont like the feel off so back to favourite conti gp 4000 was tempted to try the 5000 but for £25 quid more they can wait a bit

Alwaysbroken

As a father of four, I cleaned and re-lubed the chains of 14 bikes, cycled the shocks of 5 mtb’ s through their stroke to keep the seals lubed, put a new saddle on my wife’s cafe racer as I stole hers for my pathracer build & re-routed it’s cables to clean it up now it’s near completion.

During this I partook in a nice fresh ground coffee.

Now having a couple Hob Goblins sitting on the sofa making a couple of final adjustments to my undercarriage.

Now having a couple Hob Goblins sitting on the sofa making a couple of final adjustments to my undercarriage.
As you do...
:biggrin:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Changed out the Italian Universal center pull brakes on the Corso for some vintage Mafac Racers, which have better adjustability and greater stopping power.
I also added a little T shaped tang I had hanging around the brake parts drawer. It is made to keep a Pletscher rack from sliding down the seat stays. Had no idea what it was for, until I got a Pletscher rack and added it to the Corso.

Top Bottom