What Have You Fettled Today?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by threebikesmcginty, 29 Sep 2011.

1. Alwaysbroken

Alwaysbroken Well-Known Member

As a father of four, I cleaned and re-lubed the chains of 14 bikes, cycled the shocks of 5 mtb’ s through their stroke to keep the seals lubed, put a new saddle on my wife’s cafe racer as I stole hers for my pathracer build & re-routed it’s cables to clean it up now it’s near completion.

During this I partook in a nice fresh ground coffee.

Now having a couple Hob Goblins sitting on the sofa making a couple of final adjustments to my undercarriage.

2. DCBassman

DCBassman Veteran

As you do...
    :biggrin:

3. meta lon

meta lon Guru

Fitted the new XT crankset 2x11 from the 1x11.
    New front pull slx mech and shifter.

IMG_20190105_153526.jpg

4. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

My fitness via a wee ride

Gravity Aided, raleighnut and dave r like this.
  5. kiwifruit

kiwifruit Well-Known Member

Service a sticky mavic freehub again, twice in about 3 months. Don't know why it keep sticking as I haven't been out much in the wet.

Gravity Aided and dave r like this.
  6. ColinJ

ColinJ It's a puzzle ...

Don't use grease in them! Light oil does the job and doesn't gunge them up. Mine has been running fine since I did that 6 or 7 years ago.

Gravity Aided, kiwifruit and dave r like this.
  7. kiwifruit

kiwifruit Well-Known Member

I have been using shimano hydraulic mineral oil.

8. Changed out the Italian Universal center pull brakes on the Corso for some vintage Mafac Racers, which have better adjustability and greater stopping power.
    I also added a little T shaped tang I had hanging around the brake parts drawer. It is made to keep a Pletscher rack from sliding down the seat stays. Had no idea what it was for, until I got a Pletscher rack and added it to the Corso.

dave r likes this.
  9. ColinJ

ColinJ It's a puzzle ...

In that case, I don't know why it keeps sticking either! :laugh:

dave r likes this.
  10. DCLane

DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Son's new Langdale track bike needed an extra chain link putting on for 52/16 - only the chain wasn't playing ball. So we fitted a new chain with 2 links just in case. Much easier.

Then sorted out the Boardman Airpro's mudguards which worked fine with Schwalbe One tyres but Conti GP4000S' must be taller - so fettling needed there.

Added some new carbon paste to the seatpost on the Giant TCR we're selling so it looks cleaner.

Oh, and now trying seatpost bolts and clamps from stock for the Ridley Damocles in the hope that one fits ... the ones from the tiny Kuota seatpost did. I knew it'd come in handy one day ^_^ . Then removed the very stiff bottom bracket - just need to sort out the stuck/drilled/broken off brake bolt in the forks now and it's ready to be dealt with.

Just another day ...

Last edited: 6 Jan 2019
    Gravity Aided, biggs682 and dave r like this.
  11. rogerzilla

rogerzilla Guru

Fitted a new master link to the commuting fixie. The silly KMC "snap on" connector I bought was slightly too narrow for the chain and caused a stiff link, even though it's a KMC 1/8" connector on a 1/8" KMC chain. I bought a job lot of traditional three-piece master links (these are also re-usable; the snap-on links aren't, which is why I bought a new one) and all is well now. The thought of a chain coming apart at 150rpm is too horrible to contemplate; you're lucky if it doesn't wrap itself around the rear wheel and the chainstay, trashing the rear end.

12. Alwaysbroken

Alwaysbroken Well-Known Member

Bit of final fettling today on my “pathracer” build, I’m not sure what it is now to be fair as it’s a mix of ideas.

So I’ve tidied the cable routing, cut a wine crate up to fit on the back & decided to re-fit the chain guard as it came up so well.

Put a few miles on it & im amazed how well it handles for an old gas pipe town bike.

Attached Files:

13. JhnBssll

JhnBssll Über Member

That's stunning, lovely job :okay:

meta lon likes this.
  14. dave r

dave r Dunking Diddy Dave Pedalling Pensioner

The thought that that could happen scares the crap out of me.

15. dave r

dave r Dunking Diddy Dave Pedalling Pensioner

That looks lovely.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice