What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ve got the R7000 kitted bike all working sweetly now, with a quick little bit of checking and adjusting various bits and bobs. The only problem is that I now think further upgrades are necessary, which they aren’t, but once I start fettling something it’s like a snowball, and before I know what’s happened, I’ve spent more on shiny stuff than I would have on a new bike:laugh:.

Had a slight 'wobble' on the rear wheel of my CGR over the past few days
Couldn't find my cone-spanners, so picked a pair up on my ride home from work today (Halfords, with 10% BCF discount, for showing my card)

One thing that I found out this evening....

(2017) Mavic Aksyium wheels have cartridge bearings:blush::blush:
(as I've not had to touch the hubs in the 2 years since I bought it!)

Still at least it's another thing that makes the wheels last a long-time, barring accidental damage

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
The new bar, stem and bar tape arrived monday. The new cables and headset arrived today.
Completely stripped the bike of everything and gave the frame a good clean inside and out. Over the weekend I think I'm gonna flood the frame with oil so the rust inside the seat tube that I found doesn't happen again. :eek: It'll be done before winter at the very least.
Fitted the shiny new polished FSA cartridge headset. Boy it's soooooo much easier fitting an alloy one than a steel one!:hyper:
Bar and stem have also been fitted.
Lots of cleaning of parts tomorrow.

IMG_20190501_223220.jpg

I replaced the rear pads on the Ultra 720. When I braked, they squealed a lot. So I checked the toe in of the pads. They were toed in, but I toed them in a bit more. They squealed more. Then the penny dropped. It’s got direct mount brakes, mounted on the chain stays, which means they are effectively A.A.F. I toed them the other way, and now they are nice and quiet.

Again; the CGR

Then again, it is my 'everyday/go to/all-weather bike

I'd been out to watch the Tour de Yorkshire early afternoon, not far up the route from Little Smeaton
Rode home, in some grim weather
Got to the gate, walked in, & fell over:blush:
Plastic soled Sidi CX shoes, & wet Stone flags aren't a good match
I have slipped before, but never fallen

I put my hand out,, as much to save the frame from a plant-pot, as myself
On inspection, a low wall (10" high) has taken 3 small scratches out of the off-side seat-stay:cursing:
Bugger!

So, a hunt through wife & daughters nail-varnish stash revealed a bottle of clear
Hurrah!!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
A mixture of tyres & brakes over 4 bikes today

Planet X - Current GP4000 from the rear wheel to the front to replace a standard Grand Prix tyre and a new GP4000 on the rear wheel
Pickenflick flatbar - New disc rotor on the front wheel - the previous rotor had a strange pulsing sensation while braking, despite appearing to be perfectly flat
Ventus commuter - New GP4000 front & rear tyres to replace the Schwalbe Durano Plus (wired) fitted at the start of the year (they may go back on for the winter)
Voodoo - Complete new rear brake system - the pads & disc had been contaminated so I fitted the rear part of the Clarks set-up I picked up cheap at the end of last year

Do cars count?

1. Daughters Adam booked in for MoT test, & service, at out trusted garage, for one of my days-off next week

2. Puncture in rear off-side tyre, of my Octavia estate
Same tyre had 2 punctures earlier this year, but there's a rather substantial chunk of glass in it
The position on the shoulder will undoubtedly mean it's not repairable
They've been on, supporting the rear end for 70,000 miles (5 years), & at the last MoT test, an advisory warned of minor cracks in the sidewall, & a feathering of the inner edge
So, I'll err on the side of caution, & I think I'll get both rears replaced, with the same as the fronts; as I'm very happy with those
(replaced 5,000 miles ago, with same make/model again, as the previous had covered just short of 40,000 miles, with about 2mm left on change)

If cars don't count, I apologise, wholeheartedly

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Yesterday:
Lots of cleaning....basically every single bike component was scrubbed, degunked and brought to a shine. Even the brilo pads came out which did wonders for the 7 year old 2300 front mech.
The black seat post collar was sanded down and polished to an almost chrome like finish. Spa do one in silver for £4.50. Plus £4 p&p. Pfft. Couple hours elbow grease for a better finish and £0.00.
A scratch on the seat post was also buffed out.
The removal of another scratch on the drive side crank arm was attempted. Sanded it back only to discover a clear lacquer on the crank. Aarrgghh! That'll take a week of sanding, buffing and polishing to put right. Bollicks to that! Ordered a new one from Spa instead. That cock up is costing me 20 quid. Meh.
Wire wool wrapped around a steel coat hanger and propelled around inside the seat tube with a drill shifted a fair bit of rust. Seatube was then doused with cheapo oil.

Today:
All components greased and refitted. New brake cables fitted and brakes adjusted.
Gear cables still need doing but they're on the bike at least.
Replaced most of the socket head allen bolts with nicer looking dome head allen bolts.
Leather bar tape wrapped. That stuff was a right pig to wrap as there's no give in it whatsoever.
More jobs tomorrow.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Just in from an extended fettle :okay:

First job was to fit a USB charging stem cap to the commuter - I got the wires routed and the cap fitted before job two arrived, I havent yet made the electrical connections. That can wait for another day, the bike is ridable until then :smile:

20190503_124612.jpg
20190503_141202.jpg
20190503_141211.jpg

Job two was a friends wife's tri bike which she wanted upgrading to Di2, I was more than happy to oblige :okay: It's a Felt AR3, a nicely put together machine if you ignore the terribly placed rear brake release mechanism :laugh:

I've got as far as removing all the old stuff, running the internal cables and bolting on the new Di2 bits. Tomorrow I will replace the bottom bracket and brake cables, fit the new chainset and set everthing up :okay: I spent a bit of time cleaning it all up and have given it a coat of wax since taking the picture below, it's come up rather well :smile: I'll pop a picture up when it's all finished if I get a chance. A nice bike and fun to work on :smile:

20190503_231332.jpg

Job three was a quick one, my new Cyckit Aeroclam saddle bag arrived this morning so I fitted it to the saddle waiting to go on the new Ti bike I'm building. It looks rather good and will match the one on the Bianchi that I've been very pleased with :okay:

20190503_143814.jpg

Job four was to replace the worn bar tape on the Bianchi. I took a risk and ordered some Supercaz starfade, the same design as I've got on the bars waiting to go on the Ti build but orange rather than purple. Unfortunately it doesnt look good :laugh: Oh well, I'll leave it on for the time being - I might resort to rubbing some dirt over it :laugh:

20190504_003440.jpg
20190504_003855.jpg

Fitted the rear light I bought the other day. The mount bracket had been held onto the rack by cable ties and the whole set-up was a bit wibbly wobbly.

But I had a spare pair of bolts that came with the pump I bought last week, so I cut the cable ties and bolted the bracket on instead. No more wibbly wobbly back light. Makes the light assembly less nickable as well.

Top Bottom