What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
A failed fettle today. Am replacing Shimano 105 compact chain set on spa Audax bike with spa’s sub compact. Removed cranks ok but have to swap hollow tech bb for a square taper. Found that my ring spanner for external bbs is too big for the new 105/ ultegra range aaah! Went to three LBS but none have the necessary plastic insert that are apparently supplied with a new BB. Clearly they don’t anticipate anyone going back to a square taper. Called Spa and they are sending me one FOC, but don’t you just love the lack of standardisation!

Frottish

Reamed out my old Formula RX brake levers to make them fit some 26mm bull bars. Going for a full hydraulic disc track setup - on the cheap :biggrin:

dgj5.jpg

The grooves give better grip on the bars and allow the expansion reservoir to breathe.

cfvbbmfh45.jpg
Tested and it fits!

fjugk852tg.jpg

Now I just need to reassemble the whole thing... perhaps for another day, it's beer time now.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Finished off the Felt AR3 Di2 upgrade this morning, it's owner came and collected it a little while ago and seemed rather pleased with it :okay: If it had been my size I would have put up a fight giving it back :laugh:

20190504_133440.jpg

I couldn't stand looking at the rear brake release so I replaced the brake outers and moved the release, it's now tucked away under the BB. I drilled out the frame plate in the downtube that used to hold the gear cable ferrule and passed the brake cable outer through there instead of its indended location, much neater :okay: Why they didn't put it somewhere more sensible in the first place is anyones guess :laugh:

20190504_120516.jpg

I'm having a short break from fettling now but may well do some more later as I still havent finished connecting the USB stem cap on the commuter :blush:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I made some handlebar shims so I could use the 31.8 accessory bar on my new 26mm handlebar...which means my etrex 20 still sits bang in the middle.
I also fitted new cleats to my shoes and fitted the plastic shimano spd pedal platforms.
The Spa is all ready to go...soon as I can stay awake long enough to drag its heavy ass out the door. Tomorrow maybe.

Retensioned the cable for the RD on the Rouen.

I didn't do it right the first time around (should've put the bike in its biggest gear - the lesson I learnt with the Chartres) and I'd started getting those "lost-in-translation" gearshifts again the last couple of times I've been out on the bike.

Still got issues with the FD, but want to get the rear sorted first.

si_c

Guru
Bearings need replacement on my PD-8 dynohub - they no longer spin freely and make a fair amount of noise when being moved slowly. Spoke to Spa cycles, they've sent me a replacement which I will be refunded for when I send the old hub back to them under warranty, and ordered a set of new spokes as well.

Removed the old hub from the rim which was a pain as most of the spoke nipples had seized, and two of them disintegrated when I tried turning them with the spoke key! New set of spokes fitted to the new hub - tensioned up now so I just need to redish by a couple of mm and then the final true and stress relief. This is the fifth wheel build I've done now, getting much quicker and I nailed the lacing this time - normally I get the pattern off by one so the valve isn't in the right place. Taken a little over two hours so far as I take my time over it as I'd rather get it right.

Flipped the stem on my Claude Butler from +6 to -6 and put the 18mm spacers under the stem so making it virtually the same saddle to bar drop, well nearly at about 2cm. The reach only was 1mm longer.Went out on a 22 mile ride and that seemed to be fine. Both bikes have the same saddle to bar drop.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I took the bike for a test ride to make sure everything was as it should be. Something was rattling!
I found a crack in the front mudguard where the bracket fixes to the fork crown. No problem...I have about 5 spare rear mudguards left ^_^
Spent a while trimming and fitting the new mudguard and decided to flip the stem from a - to a + so it's not so low. The handlebar was spun round a bit too to bring the hoods closer.
Bike done.

IMG_20190506_123718.jpg

Second job today was replacing the cracked glass back of my daughters Samsung A5. I can't say I enjoyed that. But for a first time it turned out OK. She's also been warned that if she ever leaves the silicon case off again I'll shove the phone where the sun don't shine.

After fettling, it would've been rude not to have gone for a test ride. The RD on the Rouen now shifts as it should, and I think I've managed to pin down why I get the chain rub on the FD if I don't trim it.

Wasn't paying attention to which gear I was in, and found myself on the big ring and not quite the biggest cog on the rear. And the chain was rubbing on the back left corner of the derailleur cage. So by that, I'm assuming that the FD is a touch squiffy, and it wants moving just a touch anti-clockwise. Will do that later in the week.

Also tweaked the bars on the Chartres. Now that I've got the cockpit just about right, I'd noticed the other day that the bars weren't quite square. So loosened the stem and made the appropriate changes. Hopefully that'll stop bugging me now. Also tightened up the QR skewer on the front.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Last week a background sound of rubbing started on my Cannondale, but only on rough road surfaces. Probably barely noticeable to others, but to me after a few miles seriously irritating. Traced to the bracket which links the lower arms of the front mudguard having detached from the mudguard. Drilled out of the old pop rivets and fitted new ones.
It also made me notice the mudflap has gone AWOL. I don't think I have anything suitable in my garage, so I will need to order a new one and at the same time take the opportunity to get a new rear brake/mudguard bracket as the existing one functions only with cable ties.

postman

Legendary Member
My fantastic young neighbour's hedge is blocking light from Mrs P's greenhouse.So i have done some pruning.Filled the brown garden bin.

Top Bottom