What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've just booked my bike in for a service...does that count? :whistle:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A service on @gavgav's bike yesterday, including:
  • New chainrings - fitted the set that I got Gav for his birthday which are 44-32-22 in place of the standard 48-36-26 which should make the steep hills around south Shropshire, the Welsh coast and the Lake District a bit more manageable. The front derailleur needed adjusting to suit and I had a small panic when it looked like there wouldn't be clearance against the frame. Fortunately it does work.
  • New chain - worn out.
  • Clean and lubricate the rear derailleur pulleys - these were horrible and took ages to get clean. Good for now but new pulleys needed next time I think.
  • New gear inner cables plus the rearmost section of outer which tends to pick up road dirt and get sticky.
  • Changed fluid in front brake and replaced the pads. It looked like the caliper might be going the same way as the rear did, but fortunately it has freed up this time. After enthusing about how easy it was to bleed when I changed the rear caliper, those words came back to haunt me as this one had a bubble that just would not clear. I managed to knock over the bottle of fluid at one point too which soured the mood somewhat! Very relieved when the lever finally firmed up properly.
  • Wheel bearings - nice and straightforward as they just needed new ball bearings and grease.

Everythings seems good on a short test but once again there was an annoying rattle which turned out to be the side stand being slightly loose this time.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Better part of a house cleaned, and the a/c repaired, with a fellow from the furnace company doing most of the HVAC stuff. I also cut the yard, and got my Raleigh Super Grand Prix ready for the road. A very user friendly bicycle.
img_5427.jpg

Top Bottom