What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Popped in to the garage briefly this evening and whipped the crank off the Bianchi to send back to Avio due to a dodgy power meter. I've put an Ultegra crank arm back on for the time being to keep the bike on the road. When putting it away again I felt guilty about it being slightly dirty so gave it an hour long strip clean :whistle:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Degreased (doused in WD40) the cassette, chainset and dérailleurs.
Stuck the new chain on.
Ooooooooooh it's soooooooooo sparkly!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Short ride on the Falcon to test the cleaned and repacked BB. It seems to have cured the click while pedalling, which is odd because the spindle race is visibly pitted and I would have bet on that being what I felt. New spindle is on order (obsolete part, odd size) but won't arrive before Saturday's King's Cross to King's Lynn.

Also tightened the headset after spotting ¼mm of visible play. Might as well at least start the ride with no known faults!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I tried, tried and tried, including squeezing it with a pliers. I had just given up, told my wife I need to go back to Halfords for a quicklink, when I decided to check YouTube. The guy there made it look easy. I decided to have another go - and it worked!

So for the first, and probably last time, I have just fitted one of these old style 6-7-8 speed quick links.
Set plumber's sliding wrench (a versatile and therefore dangerous tool!) to between ⅜" and ½", grab chain either side of the link so the quick link is the bottom of a U (and so under no tension), place the wrench across the diagonal between the two non-opening corners and squeeze gently: job done!

On the road, the chainring-and-tap trick from the CyclingUK site may be easier.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Not a fettle as such, but I added these old cables to my tool pouch spares for my Audax and touring kit. Overthinking achievement level Extraordinaire unlocked :reading:

4D931612-49B8-446E-A056-B8EC8D9ADB75.jpeg

JhnBssll

Veteran
Saddle bag turned up for the Ian May so I fitted that this evening. Also did some prep on the Bianchi as I'm riding the 9 town sportive in the morning as part of the Diss Cyclathon. I rode the 50 mile route last year but have opted for the 100 this year, all being well it'll be my third imperial century of the year (and ever) :laugh::okay:

I'm quite pleased with the new saddle bag, an eBay purchase. Handmade leather supposedly, looks rather nice quality for the 20 quid it cost but will see how well it lasts :okay:

20190622_201628.jpg
20190622_201651.jpg

The Bianchi fettle was just a drop of oil on the chain, some air in the tyres and a quick firmware update for the Di2 - shifters and rear mech to be precise :tongue:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A bit of tinkering with the Dawes Kingpin i bought recently.

Swapped the original saddle for a Brooks B17 I have spare, which really seems to suit this bike both in looks and comfort. Adjusted the chain tension. Readjusted the gears. Adjusted the brakes to try and stop them squealing. Tried cleaning and lubing the chain but it needs a new one. Made and fitted a new front mudflap to replace the shredded remains of the original.

DSC0007458.jpg

Bike as bought.

DSC0007498.jpg

Today, after the latest batch of tinkering. I'm taking my time over it but it has scrubbed up fairly well so far.

JhnBssll

Veteran

Swapped the original saddle for a Brooks B17 I have spare, which really seems to suit this bike both in looks and comfort. Adjusted the chain tension. Readjusted the gears. Adjusted the brakes to try and stop them squealing. Tried cleaning and lubing the chain but it needs a new one. Made and fitted a new front mudflap to replace the shredded remains of the original.

View attachment 472017
Bike as bought.

View attachment 472016
Today, after the latest batch of tinkering. I'm taking my time over it but it has scrubbed up fairly well so far.

That looks ace, top work :okay:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks.^_^

I'm quite pleased at how it's cleaned up despite the shabby and chipped paint. In the long term I think a repaint will be in order but I'm aiming to just fettle it up and use it at the moment.

I reckon 20" (?) wheel bikes are under rated.

People deride them as 'shoppers', but they are more capable than that.

Gearing can be limited, so it won't feel as fast as a big wheel bike.

But you should still be able to bowl along at 10/12mph, and cover a decent distance if you are patient.

Manhandling the compact frame and wheels is much easier, handy in traffic and at restrictions on cycle paths.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

View attachment 472017
Bike as bought.

View attachment 472016

All I see is you've taken the luggage off the back, turned the bike round and cleaned all the stones. :rolleyes:

Tom B

Guru
New hanger fitted after months of having one held on entirely by good fortune and a trimmed washer over the QR skewer.

Cleaned the brake caliper which was very grotty... And recentered it. Surprising how having a kiddie seat / trailer chews through pads soon much faster.

Noted I will shortly need a couple of tyres.

Should really have checked the indexing after the new properly fitted hanger was installed.

Can recommend the product from Rearmechhanger.com, half the price of anywhere else. Only problem is I ordered and payed for two and got one... Mistakes happen, let's see how they recover...

Last edited:
Top Bottom