What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
I'm teaching a course weds, thurs and fri so gave the Trance a top to bottom service. Right apart, every bearing, every cable.
Welcome back! All I've done today is pump 4 tyres on under-used bikes and wipe off some white spirit from an accidental spillage after cleaning a brush I'd been using with some traditional varnish.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My fettle today was a sealant top-up on the front tubeless tyre.

As I expected, releasing the tyre from the bead was hard work, but I did it in the end by bearing down hard on the sidewall with the end of a wooden hammer handle.

It's a 2.4" balloon tyre, so came over the rim easily enough.

No liquid left inside, just some gummy bits of sealant.

I put in best part of a bottle - the interior surface area of the tyre is quite large.

The bead popped back over the rim by hand.

Sealing it proved a little tricky.

I only have a standard track pump, but by gently encouraging the bead towards the rim it 'caught' in the end.

Gong back years to early tubeless car tyres, we would sometimes put a leather belt around the tread which would tend to push the sidewalls outwards.

I was careful to only unseal one bead which makes the job easier.

Trying to get two beads to seal with just a track pump might not be possible.

Incidentally, it's the first top-up in the front since I went tubeless about 18 months ago, so the original stuff hasn't done badly.

I was leading a Surrey Hills training ride on Sunday, and one of the riders wasn’t watching his separation as we got to a Junction, and piled into the back of my bike. There wasn’t any particularly significant damage, but the mech hanger was slightly bent, so I spent this afternoon straightening it up and re indexing. It’s running much better now, but the chain is still skipping off of the T pulley occasionally, so I may have to see if the cage is entirely straight, and if the T pulley isn’t missing anything.

si_c

Guru
Purple pug has had headset issues for a while - the headset that was fitted until today was a 25.4mm headset instead of the 25mm French Thread headset that it was advertised as. Given the deplorable state of the market for French Thread headsets it's taken me a while to replace. Managed to find a BNIB NOS vintage headset on ebay for a reasonable price about two weeks ago and it arrived yesterday.

Most french forks have a flat at the rear of the fork instead of the cutout - but for some reason the Peugeot it's intended for has the latter and the new headset the former, so I had to spend 20minutes with a file on the spacer to get it to fit. That being done I removed the upper cone and lockring and fitted the new headset - I didn't have to replace the races which made the job a whole lot simpler. I did need to use mole grips though as the threads on the fork weren't in the best condition and needed running through a couple of times to get them right.

I also took the opportunity to realign the front brake and replace the cable as it was pretty shocking before hand, it's still not ideal but it's a lot better than it was - although most of the improvement is due to the headset lockring not lifting up during braking.

Took it out for a quick run around the village, seems ok, got to commute on it tomorrow so we'll see how it performs!

JhnBssll

Veteran
New Minty top tube decal for the Stumpjumper :becool::laugh:

20190629_135845.jpg

razabbs

So i was cycling on the isle of wight this morning, 25 miles into my 64 mile route, I managed to destroy my front derailleur. Old guy in a Volvo was taking aaaaages to accelerate up a hill in Ventnor, so i went to overtake him; evidently putting too much force through and a horrible noise later I checked to see that the derailleur had come into contact with my chain rings. I'd also lost half a link of the chain. Nearest cycle shop that was open was 4 miles away and I'd re-bent the derailleur cage away from the chain rings, so i tried to limp the bike to the shop using only the lowest gear and effort i could. Shortly after, another horrible noise and i think the chain got caught somewhere, the rear derailleur/mech was shorn into two pieces :sad:

Chain i know I can easily repair by just taking a link out, and rear mech is without a doubt a replacement. But, can anyone tell me what's actually happened with the front? Have i just...bent it well out of place?

I've never done any kind of maintenance like this on the bike before but i think I'll at least give it a go replacing these parts. They're sat in my ChainReaction basket as we speak for around £50, but now i've just been thinking if I should/could be changing other parts, ie, my crankset and rear cassette. I used to cycle a lot with a mate who had 2 rings on the front, rather than the 3 i have. Bike is entirely standard with Shimano Sora all round; 50/39/30 chain set, 9 speed 12-25t rear cassette. There's no reason for changing, it's just a 'while i'm doing stuff' :tongue:

Annoyingly, i was looking at the bike on the train on the way home, tyres are looking a bit dated too; it seems like the rubber is a little cracked on the sidewalls :sad: Expensive day!

inDeJUA.jpg

vbDJm2O.jpg

Last edited:
So i was cycling on the isle of wight this morning, 25 miles into my 64 mile route, I managed to destroy my front derailleur. Old guy in a Volvo was taking aaaaages to accelerate up a hill in Ventnor, so i went to overtake him; evidently putting too much force through and a horrible noise later I checked to see that the derailleur had come into contact with my chain rings. I'd also lost half a link of the chain. Nearest cycle shop that was open was 4 miles away and I'd re-bent the derailleur cage away from the chain rings, so i tried to limp the bike to the shop using only the lowest gear and effort i could. Shortly after, another horrible noise and i think the chain got caught somewhere, the rear derailleur/mech was shorn into two pieces :sad:

Chain i know I can easily repair by just taking a link out, and rear mech is without a doubt a replacement. But, can anyone tell me what's actually happened with the front? Have i just...bent it well out of place?

I've never done any kind of maintenance like this on the bike before but i think I'll at least give it a go replacing these parts. They're sat in my ChainReaction basket as we speak for around £50, but now i've just been thinking if I should/could be changing other parts, ie, my crankset and rear cassette. I used to cycle a lot with a mate who had 2 rings on the front, rather than the 3 i have. Bike is entirely standard with Shimano Sora all round; 50/39/30 chain set, 9 speed 12-25t rear cassette. There's no reason for changing, it's just a 'while i'm doing stuff' :tongue:

Annoyingly, i was looking at the bike on the train on the way home, tyres are looking a bit dated too; it seems like the rubber is a little cracked on the sidewalls :sad: Expensive day!

View attachment 473113

View attachment 473114

Gash shift has over torqued the cranks, and bent the front mech in a treat. Get the cranks out, and check the spindle. I’d wager it’s bent. I see you have a band on front mech as well. Make sure it’s straight and tightened up.

si_c

Guru

View attachment 473113

View attachment 473114
Rear derailleur is a write off, the front one I'm not sure but it looks like the cage has been bent on the outside, and has been rotated about the seat tube. If you could get a picture from the rear i'd be better able to say.

Easy enough to replace both though, I'd suggest changing the chain at the same time though, especially given its been through those mangled derailleurs.

Top Bottom