What Have You Fettled Today?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by threebikesmcginty, 29 Sep 2011.

1. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guru

I had @ColinJ down as a confirmed roadie but he seems to have taken to paths and tracks.

I'm told he recently did another off-road ride which involved pushing due to terrain rather than gradient.

Whatever next - a flat bar mountain bike?

Gravity Aided, raleighnut and dave r like this.
  2. ColinJ

ColinJ It's a puzzle ...

I used to do quite a lot of mountain biking on my flat bar mountain bike!

rock_lobster_853_hardtail.jpg

The bar ends were a bit long so I have taken them off and bought clones of those stubby ones with built-in grips that you have on your bikes. I haven't fitted them yet because I want to replace the brakes first. My cousin donated a pair of disk brakes to the cause, but I haven't got round to fitting them yet either. I am thinking of converting the bike from 3x9 to 1x11 while I am at it. I think I will try to get all of those jobs done over the winter and get back into doing more offroad riding next year.

I don't like really muddy conditions or extremely technical stuff that I don't have the skills (or courage) to ride safely. The bridleways round here are very good, though often hard work. I can tackle some of them on my CX bike but some are too rugged for that, while not being so scary that I won't ride them - that's where the MTB will come in.

Gravity Aided likes this.
  3. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guru

Dragging this back to fettling, 1 X gearing strikes me as a good idea for a mountain bike.

When I was doing some very feeble mountain biking, I had the occasional problem with the front mech clogging even in relatively light mud.

I like palm grips, mine are Ergons that came with the bike, and the right is Rohloff gear change specific.

The clones are just as good for a third of the price.

Gravity Aided and ColinJ like this.
  4. ColinJ

ColinJ It's a puzzle ...

I have now tightened the brake mounting nut!

dave r, Gravity Aided and raleighnut like this.
  5. Vantage

Vantage The dogs chew toy

Can't say I ever had that problem. Not even in the muckiest, boggiest of bogs in 15 years of mountain biking.
    1 x 11 setups sounds like sure way of wearing out chains and cassettes stupidly quickly and then paying stupid prices to replace them.

ChrisEyles and raleighnut like this.
  6. DCLane

DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Got some things done today;

Cleaned the Wilier Montegrappa after a week's wet commuting, together with fitting used front & rear GP4000S tyres. Fettled the clip-on mudguard so it fits properly for a ride in Bristol next week.

Then got out the Raleigh Sports for the final renovation job; new front and rear brake outer and inner cables for the first time in 40+ years. Minor technical issue; the new standard for MTB/road ends were too wide for 1950 brake levers fitting points so I ended up using a gear cable outer in the new inners. All done. Now I need to decide it's whether to 'keep' or 'sell'.

Last edited: 8 Jun 2019
    dave r and Gravity Aided like this.
  7. Shearwater Missile

Shearwater Missile Well-Known Member

After my front brake cable pulled through (not all the way) yesterday leaving me with a poor front rim brake I looked to see what I could do to stop it happening again. I did`nt wan`t to just tighten it up more in case I stripped the thread.This had happened once before. What I did was...... Removed the washer gripping the cable and cut 4 fine grooves across the edge of it that grips the cable. The theory being that having grooves across the cable will give it more bite and grip. Hopefully no more hairy moments !

dave r, Vantage and Gravity Aided like this.
  8. Nothing much, just a check-over of 3 bikes

The CGR is my 'day to day'/work-bike'/'winter'/etc...…
    The 'blue' was its predecessor, so hasn't been used much (so back into storage)

Boardman hybrid is SWMBOs, I bought it for her last weekend, after a weeks commuting, it was merely a case of making sure nothing had already worked loose

Next job is to source a front mud-flap for it, to suit '35' tyres & those fat 'guards (up to '45' section)

His & Hers. 3.JPG

9. dawes-on-street-with-front-basket-and-rack..jpg
    Fitted basket and rack to the Dawes Eclipse City, my errand bike.

10. Leaway2

Leaway2 Guru

Fitted a stem riser to my shopping bike. Age is catching up with me. I did 10 miles with the riser on and have to say it made the ride more pleasant.

11. Had to fettle fenders on the Dawes, then rode 8 miles to test modifications above. I also started work on the brakes on my Raleigh Super Grand Prix.

Vantage and Reynard like this.
  12. Vantage

Vantage The dogs chew toy

Easy enough to make with neoprene rubber sheet and 2 bolts and nuts.

13. Yes, I think I've got some thin rubber in the shed, just got to find it!

Gravity Aided likes this.

14. I couldn't find my rubber sheeting, so as a stop-gap, I used a plastic A4 ring-binder
    It's fairly stiff plastic. & 'Ribbed For Extra...… Drainage'...………...

Hardest part was drilling the holes in the mudguard, as my battery drill has died, so I was using the big SDS drill, which was awkward, due to the unbalanced weight (& trying to hold mudguard straight
    In hindsight, it'd have been easier to take the mudguard off, but;)

I did think I had a black binder, but it'll do!!
    Mudguards. HYB 86. 8.JPG Mudguards. HYB 86. 9.JPG Mudguards. HYB 86. 12.JPG

15. Shearwater Missile

Shearwater Missile Well-Known Member

My Mark 1 flap was made out of a High 5 cycle drinks bottle, being curved it fitted well but showed the dirt as it was a clearish plastic bottle. My Mark 2 model is made out of a ( wait for it) Kodak plastic box which photos used to come in, remember those days ? The plastic is quite stiff but managed to bend it into a bit of shape. This one is black and may stay on the bike, it looks better than the High 5. Certainly worked again today on the wet roads. Cost ? Zilch, except for the photos back in 2001 !

SpokeyDokey and dave r like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice