What Have You Fettled Today?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by threebikesmcginty, 29 Sep 2011.

1. Tenkaykev

Tenkaykev Well-Known Member

New orange chain guard from Brommiemods
    Added a " Goldie Lookin Chain" for a bit of extra bling
    IMG_20190601_174706.jpg

2. Shearwater Missile

Shearwater Missile Well-Known Member

Never quite managed to enjoy an ice cream and cycle at the same time, how did you manage it ? When I tried it all I ended up with was the cone !

Gravity Aided likes this.
  3. I fettled a Dawes Eclipse City into submission. I had to replace the rear wheel, locate a seat post and saddle, add a water bottle cage, and air up the tires. Then I rode to the grocery to get some eggs for Mrs. GA. Needs a rack and fenders yet. I found it in a basement at the cycle co-op while trying to sell some hipsters a Ross Eurotour.
    dawes-eclipse-city-bike-on-trail.jpg
    Pedals were also added by me, they have red paint on them. I suppose I shall have to get some brake fluid while I am out today. That will take paint off of plastic, given a little time. It will be a fine winter bike, I think.

4. Supersuperleeds

Supersuperleeds Guru

Changed the pads on our lasses bike. Will find out tomorrow if I've done them properly, she goes downhill to work :whistle:

Leaway2, Vantage, JhnBssll and 6 others like this.
  5. BTW, the hipsters were much taken with the Ross Eurotour.

6. Salty seadog

Salty seadog Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

Mickled the chain and put a drop of lube onto the pivot points of the mechs on the Montpellier.

7. IMG_20190602_140927_1.jpg
    Set up front replacement tyre as tubeless. Took far longer than needed due to putting a fitment on the inside of the tyre instead of the outside of the valve so it sits flush with the outside on the rim. Just above the "L" in the photo. :whistle:
    Used Airshot inflator to seat it first time (after wasting considerable time with it not working as above).
    Managed to get sunburnt too. :rolleyes:
    Hopefully it will behave for tomorrow's commute, at which point I'll declare as satisfied.

Gravity Aided and Reynard like this.
  8. JhnBssll

JhnBssll Über Member

Had the chain lock up on the commuter on my way home this evening. A quick back-pedal sorted it but I was then unable to shift in to the big ring. A quick fettle showed the front mech out of alignment - probably a side effect rather than a causal factor. I straightened it up and tightened the bolt, should be good for the rest of the week. I noticed a wobble in the rear wheel while fettling so it's due a bit of TLC at the weekend I think :okay:

9. Dawes now has fenders. A rack may be purchased this weekend.

Vantage, Reynard, raleighnut and 2 others like this.
  10. Maybe a basket for the front, as well.

Reynard, JhnBssll and DCBassman like this.
  11. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Resistance is futile! Moderator

My Brompton rear tyre has gone flat, so I'm psyching myself up to do battle with the hub-gear-and-rear-mech combo that makes working on 6 speed brommies so much fun...
    Over the weekend I fitted sliding baskets on rails to one of the kitchen cupboards, to replace the shelves. A side effect of having shelves you can't reach the back of, is all the stuff you find when you (finally) empty them. I have enough pasta to make a lasagne about ten feet square. I just need to make two gallons of Bechemel sauce.

12. Tenkaykev

Tenkaykev Well-Known Member

Please let us know how it goes. ( with the Brompton, not the Lasagne)
    I've got a 6 speed and got the LBS to fit Marathon Plus tyres to hopefully avoid punctures, but a part of me wants to have a go so I'm prepared should it happen when I'm out and about.

13. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Resistance is futile! Moderator

14. ColinJ

ColinJ It's a puzzle ...

I put Longboards on my CAADX. The protection they give the rider and bike is great but I found that the front flap was TOO long - I kept catching it on kerbs, my door step etc. I cut an inch-plus off with sturdy scissors and that made a big difference. I did a long stretch of stone/rock-strewn Roman road on the bike last Friday and only caught the flap a couple of times.

If you decide to trim the flap (and I think you eventually WILL!), for obvious reasons just do it a fraction of an inch at a time and ride the bike again to see if the flap still catches anything. It is much easier to trim a bit more off later than to try and glue bits of flap back on! :laugh:

dave r, Gravity Aided and Vantage like this.
  15. Vantage

Vantage The dogs chew toy

The guards on mine are 700c but the wheels only 26" so they were mega long.
    I ended up trimming 2" off the mudguard instead. They're about the same length now as the old mudguards were so it all works nicely :smile:

Gravity Aided and ColinJ like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice