What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Maybe a basket for the front, as well.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
My Brompton rear tyre has gone flat, so I'm psyching myself up to do battle with the hub-gear-and-rear-mech combo that makes working on 6 speed brommies so much fun...
Over the weekend I fitted sliding baskets on rails to one of the kitchen cupboards, to replace the shelves. A side effect of having shelves you can't reach the back of, is all the stuff you find when you (finally) empty them. I have enough pasta to make a lasagne about ten feet square. I just need to make two gallons of Bechemel sauce.

Tenkaykev

Guru
My Brompton rear tyre has gone flat, so I'm psyching myself up to do battle with the hub-gear-and-rear-mech combo that makes working on 6 speed brommies so much fun...
Over the weekend I fitted sliding baskets on rails to one of the kitchen cupboards, to replace the shelves. A side effect of having shelves you can't reach the back of, is all the stuff you find when you (finally) empty them. I have enough pasta to make a lasagne about ten feet square. I just need to make two gallons of Bechemel sauce.

Please let us know how it goes. ( with the Brompton, not the Lasagne)
I've got a 6 speed and got the LBS to fit Marathon Plus tyres to hopefully avoid punctures, but a part of me wants to have a go so I'm prepared should it happen when I'm out and about.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Fitted the new longboards and gave the bike a spit and polish.

View attachment 468778
I put Longboards on my CAADX. The protection they give the rider and bike is great but I found that the front flap was TOO long - I kept catching it on kerbs, my door step etc. I cut an inch-plus off with sturdy scissors and that made a big difference. I did a long stretch of stone/rock-strewn Roman road on the bike last Friday and only caught the flap a couple of times.

If you decide to trim the flap (and I think you eventually WILL!), for obvious reasons just do it a fraction of an inch at a time and ride the bike again to see if the flap still catches anything. It is much easier to trim a bit more off later than to try and glue bits of flap back on! :laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I built a singlespeed bike a few years back, mainly from surplus parts, but I had to buy some brake callipers because I didn't have any spare at the time. I wanted to spend as little as possible so I bought a pair of cheap Campanolo Veloce ones. They did the job but they felt a bit flexy/'spongey' compared to the better quality callipers that I am used to. They are also black, and I prefer silver.

Since then I have dedicated an old bike to turbo trainer duties so its brakes were no longer needed. I decided to pinch the callipers off that bike to use on the singlespeed instead. I swapped them over today and they feel a big improvement. It turns out that the old brake blocks were pretty worn, so they would have needed replacing soon anyway.

If I ever decide to take the old bike off the TT I can put the Veloce callipers on that.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Fenders installed on the Dawes.
Rack and basket for the weekend.

Denis99

Über Member
New Campag Record headset fitted.

Old school, 1" threaded.

Plus the Restrap small frame bag arrived, lovely stuff.

Attachments

• GR013255.jpg
    GR013255.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 13

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Dawes, now 8 speed rear cassette, and Alivio, as opposed to Tourney. Revo twist shifters replaced with snap shifter/brake combo. Now, If I can get the front to work, all will be hunky-dory. Oh, and the fellows changed out my a/c system while I was doing that. I also added leather and twine bar tape to my Raleigh Super Grand Prix. Cooler inside now, hotter outside. An improvement from the morning, when all was the opposite.

Domus

Guru
Got caught out by a shower whilst out on the summer bike, no mudguards, the bike was FILTHY. Good wash and lubed the chain and spokes. Put away and thought to myself it is a long time since the seat post was out. I can't believe how nasty it was, it was horrible, covered in gritty grease, it felt like grinding paste. A quick wipe and a rag pushed down the seat tube, a re grease and all was well. God knows what the winter bike one will be like. Will check after tomorrow nights epic to Blackpool.

gbb

Legendary Member
Crossfire e recently developed a strange clunk when I stopped pedalling and coasted, like a kick from the crank or bb. This morning on my commute I stopped pedalling and the chain drooped between the rear and the crank then dumped itself off the crank. Ooer.
Tonight on the way home it did the same 3 times. Motor over running I'm thinking, no, the freewheel/freehub should prevent the chain from still being driven forward...On the last throw of the chain I got off again, re sited the chain out of the way, rotated the freewheel/cassette....eh, that feels like its dragging ?
One second later I realised why....the spoke protector disc had slid between the motor /hub and the freewheel....creating drag when it shouldnt.
Resited spoke protector...all is well.
5 seconds of actual fettling...does that count :laugh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom