What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
Fitted new rear tyre on CB and put the one removed onto the front. The front had done nearly 4000 miles and probably could have done some more but I like to play safe. The new tyre was a folding bead Rubino, never fitted a folding bead before. Personally I thought it harder to put on than a wired bead. The Rubino graphene is now on the front with 1500 miles on it.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Fitted the new longboards and gave the bike a spit and polish.

IMG_20190531_130502.jpg

TigerT

Veteran
My commuting bike, has had the same pedals on it since I bought it 5 Years ago and they were stuck solid. I wanted to switch from chunky SPD’s to Look Keo. All previous attempts to shift them had failed until today!

While browsing in the bike shop, I saw a 75cm long pedal spanner, it was cheap, so I bought it thinking the extra leverage might work

Success, they were still difficult to shift, but eventually I got them off. No signs that any grease was ever used which is probably why they were seized.

Went out on an unplanned test ride to test the new pedals and enjoy an ice cream!

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
My commuting bike, has had the same pedals on it since I bought it 5 Years ago and they were stuck solid. I wanted to switch from chunky SPD’s to Look Keo. All previous attempts to shift them had failed until today!

While browsing in the bike shop, I saw a 75cm long pedal spanner, it was cheap, so I bought it thinking the extra leverage might work

Success, they were still difficult to shift, but eventually I got them off. No signs that any grease was ever used which is probably why they were seized.

Went out on an unplanned test ride to test the new pedals and enjoy an ice cream!
Never quite managed to enjoy an ice cream and cycle at the same time, how did you manage it ? When I tried it all I ended up with was the cone !

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I fettled a Dawes Eclipse City into submission. I had to replace the rear wheel, locate a seat post and saddle, add a water bottle cage, and air up the tires. Then I rode to the grocery to get some eggs for Mrs. GA. Needs a rack and fenders yet. I found it in a basement at the cycle co-op while trying to sell some hipsters a Ross Eurotour.
dawes-eclipse-city-bike-on-trail.jpg

Pedals were also added by me, they have red paint on them. I suppose I shall have to get some brake fluid while I am out today. That will take paint off of plastic, given a little time. It will be a fine winter bike, I think.

LucretiaMyReflection

IMG_20190602_140927_1.jpg
Set up front replacement tyre as tubeless. Took far longer than needed due to putting a fitment on the inside of the tyre instead of the outside of the valve so it sits flush with the outside on the rim. Just above the "L" in the photo. :whistle:
Used Airshot inflator to seat it first time (after wasting considerable time with it not working as above).
Managed to get sunburnt too. :rolleyes:
Hopefully it will behave for tomorrow's commute, at which point I'll declare as satisfied.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Had the chain lock up on the commuter on my way home this evening. A quick back-pedal sorted it but I was then unable to shift in to the big ring. A quick fettle showed the front mech out of alignment - probably a side effect rather than a causal factor. I straightened it up and tightened the bolt, should be good for the rest of the week. I noticed a wobble in the rear wheel while fettling so it's due a bit of TLC at the weekend I think :okay:

Top Bottom