What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Braze on extender bracket,

View attachment 467471
Ta-da!
Edit: bloomin' expensive!

Last edited:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Today I put my oldest bike back together: it was the bike that got me back into cycling more than 20 years ago. It's a Planet-X Kaffenback, the original 'Blue Dragon' frame design, built from basic 4130 Cro-Mo. It's not light but it can pretty much do anything from commuting to light touring to winter training (in the UK at least - I couldn't ride it out here in the Ontario winters where you really need metal-studded tyres).

Since I came to Canada, in 2009, it's been sitting twiddling its thumbs up in our barn, while I rode other bikes: my Brompton, my single-speed, my sleek carbon TT thing, and my self-built winter 'Beast.' But I was thinking about do-it-all bikes again, wondering about shelling out for a Rohloff-equipped bike-to-end-all-bikes, and I suddenly thought that I already have one of those (almost). Granted, it's not anywhere near as fancy as anything with a Rohloff, and I probably couldn't take it that far off-road, but after ten years of sitting around, it still works just fine and it's still a pleasure to ride.

It also reminds me that I made some really sensible choices about gear when I got this courtesy of some discussions on the old Cycling Plus Forum - the obsolete bottom-of-the-range Campagnolo Xenon is a depdendable gear choice, and the Mavic Open Pros still make for a great wheelset.

So this summer I'll be getting to know an old friend again...

Time for the summer refurb of the winter bike, an elderly Bianchi Sempre from 2013, which gets beaten to death all winter, and because I am a rebel and won't use mudguards has a hard life with grit and spray. Somewhat to my surprise, the bottom bracket, done this time last year, was still A1, but the steering head was notchy, to say the least.
So, I took the forks out and examined the head-bearings. FSA, probably Orbit, but the top end was fine. Just replace the bottom one then? Not so simple. It looked like a crown race and caged bearing setup. Didn't look too bad, but rough bearings never do. Tiny ball bearings. Where will I get those? And the crown race looks awful, on closer inspection.

To cut a long story short, I had various goes at getting bearings and even got a replacement FSA crown race, which was too big. So, give up and surrender to LBS (Fishface Cycles at Wombourne). Took it over in semi-dismantled state thinking he would have to order in a new headset and it would take time.
He spotted my mistake straight away. It wasn't a crown race and loose bearing system at all. It was a sealed bearing that had completely disintegrated! And he had one in stock and fixed it for me there and then.

The moral of this story is, I suppose, if you don't know what you are doing, then get help from a good LBS.

Tom B

Guru
Been for an impromptu seaside ride after cleaning and wet luring yesterday so a thorough degrease and cleaning off the grinding paste of sand and gloop was in order. Then a relube.

Noticed the cassette is worn so I'll let this chain run on and on the look out for a sub £10 deal.

Oh and brake pads changed, again.

2sheds

Regular
newb to group / forum,
Scored a Dawes Fox (yeah I know), for 33 quid from Facebook marketplace, changed all cables, brake blocks, fitted new pedals and toe clips, replaced front mech, now waiting for new wheels (alloy), tyres and block coming from ebay hopefully tomorrow be able to do final gears and brake adjustments

TigerT

Veteran
Bought and fitted a wireless unit for my Madone so I can see what the DI2 is doing on my Garmin.

The main reason for this is that because the Main unit is hidden in the downtube, you can’t see the led indicators therefore battery level is a guess without unclipping it. But it’s also nice to see what gears you are in and be able to switch between Garmin screens from the brake hoods. Especially as the touchscreen on the 820 is so bad!

AD335258-618E-4E67-BBE6-3F3C9FAEA78C.jpeg

TigerT

Veteran
Don‘t think I‘ve ever been so nervous in my life! Just used my Dremel with a cutting wheel on my bike!

There is a small 10mm bolt holding a cover on the front rim brake calliper and I needed to get the cover off to solve a squeak...... But it requires a 2mm Allen key. Put it in and it just went round and round. Looked at it and the head was completely destroyed. Tried jamming something bigger in the hole, but to no avail. So I heavily taped everything around the area (really heavily!) and cut a slot into the head. Really surprised how steady I kept my hand. My heart was beating faster than it does when climbing:-D

Nervously put a flat head screwdriver into the slot and yay! It turned.

I didn’t enjoy that job at all. I‘ve ordered replacement bolts, but I‘m off out now to see if I can find an equivalent to use as a temporary measure.

Oh.... and the squeak was easily solved. Tiny bit of grease in the offending cable holder and we are noise free :-)

si_c

Guru
Fitted new derailleur hanger to the MTB - the last one was shockingly twisted. Surprising how much better shifting gets :laugh: but it has taken me about three months to work out which one I needed - damned 12 year old MTB. Also cleaned the jockey wheels as they were truly minging. Now to order a bleed kit for it as the rear brake is fscking useless for some reason - it just went totally soft at Llandegla today.

Top Bottom