What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
dawes-on-street-with-front-basket-and-rack..jpg

Fitted basket and rack to the Dawes Eclipse City, my errand bike.

Leaway2

Lycrist
Fitted a stem riser to my shopping bike. Age is catching up with me. I did 10 miles with the riser on and have to say it made the ride more pleasant.

Next job is to source a front mud-flap for it, to suit '35' tyres & those fat 'guards (up to '45' section)

I couldn't find my rubber sheeting, so as a stop-gap, I used a plastic A4 ring-binder
It's fairly stiff plastic. & 'Ribbed For Extra...… Drainage'...………...

Hardest part was drilling the holes in the mudguard, as my battery drill has died, so I was using the big SDS drill, which was awkward, due to the unbalanced weight (& trying to hold mudguard straight
In hindsight, it'd have been easier to take the mudguard off, but;)

I did think I had a black binder, but it'll do!!
Mudguards. HYB 86. 8.JPG Mudguards. HYB 86. 9.JPG Mudguards. HYB 86. 12.JPG

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
I couldn't find my rubber sheeting, so as a stop-gap, I used a plastic A4 ring-binder

Hardest part was drilling the holes in the mudguard, as my battery drill has died, so I was using the big SDS drill, which was awkward, due to the unbalanced weight (& trying to hold mudguard straight
In hindsight, it'd have been easier to take the mudguard off, but;)

I did think I had a black binder, but it'll do!!
View attachment 470342 View attachment 470343 View attachment 470344
My Mark 1 flap was made out of a High 5 cycle drinks bottle, being curved it fitted well but showed the dirt as it was a clearish plastic bottle. My Mark 2 model is made out of a ( wait for it) Kodak plastic box which photos used to come in, remember those days ? The plastic is quite stiff but managed to bend it into a bit of shape. This one is black and may stay on the bike, it looks better than the High 5. Certainly worked again today on the wet roads. Cost ? Zilch, except for the photos back in 2001 !

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!

Oddly enough, out on the bike today I found this by the roadside.
I'd be happy to chop some off and send it to you if you like? I'm planning on making some myself as I don't think much of the flaps that were included with my longboards.

IMG_20190611_103259.jpg

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Yesterday...
Fitted the new rear mech. Stripped and regreased the rear hub. Washed the bike. Got it nice and sparkly and running smooth as Cary Grant.
Took it out today and plastered it in sheep s*it, horse s*it, brake dust, and gravel/sand grinding the hell out of the chain.
Quick jet wash when I got home.

Feckin hate UK weather.

D

Deleted member 1258

My Mark 1 flap was made out of a High 5 cycle drinks bottle, being curved it fitted well but showed the dirt as it was a clearish plastic bottle. My Mark 2 model is made out of a ( wait for it) Kodak plastic box which photos used to come in, remember those days ? The plastic is quite stiff but managed to bend it into a bit of shape. This one is black and may stay on the bike, it looks better than the High 5. Certainly worked again today on the wet roads. Cost ? Zilch, except for the photos back in 2001 !

I used to make mine out of old plastic milk cartons or plastic pop bottles.

D

Deleted member 1258

It was a fettling fail for me this afternoon, trying to change a brake cable on my Good Ladies Walker for the first time, when I got the chewed up cable out the brake lever separated into two parts, it looks like cable tension keeps it together, I also found out there are a pair of pulleys that the cable runs round, I couldn't wind the new cable round those when I tried to fit it and it looks like I need to buy a kit rather than just a cable, I've now contacted the firm I brought the generic cable from about returning the cable and buying a kit.

IMG_20190605_105344.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oddly enough, out on the bike today I found this by the roadside.
I'd be happy to chop some off and send it to you if you like? I'm planning on making some myself as I don't think much of the flaps that were included with my longboards.

View attachment 470376
Thankyou!!!
That's a very kind offer
Should I sent a SAE?

That was a thought too, a truck inner-tube
I had contemplated going to a local commercial tyre depot, on the industrial estate, just to the other side of the M62, but given that practically all applications are tubeless nowadays, it could have been non-productive

I used to make mine out of old plastic milk cartons or plastic pop bottles.
Been there, done that in the past

I purchased these, when I bought the CGR
https://rawmudflap.uk/product/ref-black-stealth-mudflap/
Ribble. CGR. 7.JPG

With camera flash
It can't be seen here, but the front is also retro-reflective
Ribble. CGR. 8.JPG

For extra eye-catching, I also added a rectangular red reflector, out of my old box of trailer/BWSOW spares
Not the best of images. no ambient lighting, just camera flash
DSCF9323.JPG

Granted, they're fairly expensive, but put extra reflective material low down - to catch vehicle head-lights
(& on my commute, the Sun is behind me, for the morning, & to my back on returning home)
And, its movement, due to motion (or surface water running down it...) makes it 'flicker', attracting the eye even more!

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Thankyou!!!
That's a very kind offer
Should I sent a SAE?

That was a thought too, a truck inner-tube

Yip. I'll pm you my address.
I'm thinking it could actually be from a farm trailer tyre. I don't think it's big enough to do a truck, but who knows.
Let me how big you want it chopping and how many and I'll get the scissors on it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom