What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Pam took pity on me and let me tinker with the bike today......I'll pay for it later most likely:blink:
Alot of time was spent with my hands doused in white spirit whilst scrubbing drivetrain components but its mostly done now, thankfully. My hands were starting to sting from the spirit :ohmy:
Soooooo,
the frame & forks were drowned in Carlube oil from morrisons for future rust prevention.
Headset was fitted......hopefully its on straight. It looks OK.
Tyres, cassette and rotors were fitted to the wheels and finally the bottom bracket was fitted. Crank arms, saddle & seatpost and old stem are sitting on it loosely for now.
No idea when my next fettle will be...hopefully soon.

I'm itching to take it out for a spin!

IMG_20190724_213423.jpg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Not cycle related
FIL bought kids mini alexa shows, i was so impressed with the drop in video chat to keep an eye on FIL i bought a larger one myself
Daughters was on sons account and worked fine untill a few days ago and was told she needed her own account to enable video chat as we got her room if we asked for her or son...........
Set up account then found out the phone number she uses ( sons old one ) is still registered with his account so i had to delete it to get it to work, enable drop in to all devices and from all devices
and breathe :wacko:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Wheels, cranks, derailleurs fitted to the Schwinn Passage. Need more parts before further progress can be made. Stem, brake levers, and downtube cable stops will be needed, and the downtube cable stops will have to come from Amazon. BB is Octalink, but I've always had good luck with that system. I have a couple of hacks for it. Since the crank pullers rarely come with that size head anymore, I find the brake washer for the front brake will substitute well. I also just use a 10 mm Allen wrench for removal of the center bolt for the crank, on my model. It's easy to deal with, using basic tools, on the road.

tom73

Guru
Thank's to @Richard A Thackeray for the tip off. After fruitless search Mrs 73 came good not one but 2 :hyper:

So fitted Mint Sauce headset cap to London rd and one to mrs73 FX.

Fitted old headset cap off London Rd to the Spa as it was missing when I bought it.

Oh and put up an extra washing line all for Mrs 73 :smooch:

Attachments

• IMG_3327.JPG
    IMG_3327.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3328.JPG
    IMG_3328.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 8

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Placed the Felt back in the garage, and dug out the Claud Butler for a few rides next week. Gave it a thorough once over and set the tyre pressures.

To stun....

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Pam gave me another free pass for bike tinkering today (yesterday technically).

Chainset rebuilt and fitted. F&r dérailleurs and shifters fitted and indexed. It's scarey how easy that was actually...no issues whatsoever. :smile:
The same can't be said for fitting the calipers. First off I'd put the front brake on the rear wheel and vice versa then wondered why the rear brake didn't fit. I got around that by using longer bolts and some spacer sleeves. Thats when I noticed I'd fitted them wrong way round. :headshake: Friggin eejit.
Then I had trouble getting the front wheel to spin without the brake rubbing. Avids centering technique just wasn't working until I added a cardboard shim. Some minor rotor truing and all is well ^_^
Steerer tube chopped and bars added, rewrapped with new brake cables.
Attempting to fit the mudguards raised issues. I discovered that the new Flinger mudguard stays I bought last week are too thick for the SKS eyebolts. :angry: Gotta order new eyebolts on Monday then.
Plus the crown on the front fork is really high. Need to make a much longer L brackets for the mudguard or it sits too high above the tyre. Similar issue with the rear mudguard bridge. So I'll be running bike minus mudguards for a week. It looks like a friggin road bike. :angry:
I fear I may need a new, longer stem but I've not been on it yet to adjust for fit. Just a feeling I have.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Gave my Apollo local hack MTB some much-needed attention. The front brakes didn't feel right and had a sloppy feel, so I investigated and discovered both the canti pivot Allen screws were working loose, allowing the cantis to move on their spigots. Out came the Allen key and grease pot and they were taken off, lubed, and put back on tight.
Next, fit some secondhand Zefal plastic MTB mudguards that I got from a scrap donor bike. Wondered why the rear one was taped to the rear reflector bracket, and discovered it was because someone had lost the proper mounting bracket. Drilled a couple of 6mm holes in the mudguared and secured it with cable ties.
Finally, I fit a funky coloured metal water bottle cage taken from another abandoned Apollo. Three jobs, three successes....

APOLLO IMPROVED OFFSIDE.JPG

Ok, now to the final job of the day - replace the L/H pedal which had a chunk missing from it, was splitting open, and just on the point of disintegrating.... Except that the thing was seized into the crank and even my usual generous amount of brute force failed to shift it. No problem, I'll swap the L/H crank from the donor bike. Oh, no you won't, the thread was half stripped so I dared not use full force on the extractor tool. Had to settle for "just enough" force and then beat the crank arm into submission with a big hammer until it came loose. Job done, and crank arm swapped. Go for test ride and something feels slightly odd.... Then I discover the "new" crank arm is 165mm whereas the original drive side one is 170mm. So out comes the extractor tool again and I end up swapping the drive side one to get a matched pair of arms, but now have an odd pair of pedals instead. Then of course the saddle needs adjusting because the cranks are shorter.....Finally, after much faffing around, I actually manage to go for a 20 mile ride.

Last edited:
Job done, and crank arm swapped. Go for test ride and something feels slightly odd.... Then I discover the "new" crank arm is 165mm whereas the original drive side one is 170mm. So out comes the extractor tool again and I end up swapping the drive side one to get a matched pair of arms, but now have an odd pair of pedals instead. Then of course the saddle needs adjusting because the cranks are shorter.....Finally, after much faffing around, I actually manage to go for a 20 mile ride.

:giggle:

Adapted from a classic mantra...

Measure twice, fettle once. ;)

Top Bottom