What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Fixed rear wheel puncture on brommie. First one. So interesting learning experience taking wheel on and off. All good.

Tell me more YukonBoy, I've got Marathon+ on my Brommie and am sort of tempted to spend half a day removing/ refitting the rear wheel so that it's not so daunting.
Any hints / tips / gotchas?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Tell me more YukonBoy, I've got Marathon+ on my Brommie and am sort of tempted to spend half a day removing/ refitting the rear wheel so that it's not so daunting.
Any hints / tips / gotchas?

Undo the gear cable via the barrel / lock nut. Then turn to remove it from wheel.
Undo the gear nut, same size spanner needed as other wheel nuts
Then remove chain tensioner
This reveal a normal nut that sits under the chain tensioner.
Undo wheel nuts, there are retaining clips like on front wheel so wiggle these to drop out wheel.

Reverse to refit. Do not try and fit chain tensioner before wheel back in place. Fit wheel, do up inner bolts and ensure retaining clips in place.
Fit chain tensioner with long arm pointing back and shorter arm forward. Engage teeth of jockey wheel of front tensioner with chain. Easier to do if you release rear triangle as if folding.
Fit and tighten up gear cable nut
Fit gear cable and attach to barrel adjuster. Do up lock nut on gear cable.
Swing long arm from back to tension the chain.
Pump up tyre.
Ride, and adjust gears through barrel adjuster as necessary.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I tidied the bar tape on my CAAD5.

I straightened up the hoods on my singlespeed bike - I removed the redundant gear shift bits from the ergopower controls when I built the bike and that left gaps that the hoods tend to slip into after a while, which looks bad and feels uncomfortable.

I lubed and cleaned chains on both bikes.

I repaired a tube punctured on my forum ride last Saturday. I was going to repair another punctured tube but it was splitting along a seam so I binned it. (I must think of a use for scrapped tubes!)

There was one other thing... (Thinks...) Ah yes - my cycling helmet was feeling uncomfortable round my forehead. It turned out that the sweatband/padding on the front of the plastic frame of the helmet had got lost. I made a new padded band from a strip of self-adhesive velcro 'fur' (the half that the hooky side grips onto).

ColinJ

Bit of a creak on the Felt commuter, so greased the seatpost last night and went out for a 25mile spin in the dark no real issues - everything seemed fine.

Commuting in to work this morning, and about a half mile in, a horrible noise started like everything that could possibly be creaking was, so I pulled over and had a look. The seat-tube/top-tube weld has totally failed, there's a crack about 75% of the way around the joint so the frame is totally dead.

I've emailed Felt as it's only 3 months outside the 2 year warranty period, but I'm not hopeful, so it looks like new frame time.
Bad luck!

If Felt do the right thing, then great. If not, I would feel inclined to use Social Media Pressure on them and give them a second opportunity. Point them in the direction of this discussion and ask if they would prefer your follow-up post to be "Superb support from Felt, who apologised and replaced the frame despite it being outside the warranty period. I will buy from them again in the future" OR "Felt were cheapskates and used the excuse that the frame was just out of warranty to reject my claim. That is the last time that I buy one of their bikes"! :okay:

PS A big social media shout out to Iyama who replaced my computer monitor 6 months beyond its warranty period, and another to Endura who did likewise with a commuter jacket whose zip had failed!

si_c

Guru
Bad luck!

If Felt do the right thing, then great. If not, I would feel inclined to use Social Media Pressure on them and give them a second opportunity. Point them in the direction of this discussion and ask if they would prefer your follow-up post to be "Superb support from Felt, who apologised and replaced the frame despite it being outside the warranty period. I will buy from them again in the future" OR "Felt were cheapskates and used the excuse that the frame was just out of warranty to reject my claim. That is the last time that I buy one of their bikes"! :okay:

PS A big social media shout out to Iyama who replaced my computer monitor 6 months beyond its warranty period, and another to Endura who did likewise with a commuter jacket whose zip had failed!

It's OOW, so they won't replace it, I've asked. They do run a "VIP Replacement Programme" for those with OOW problems, which offers discounts on new frames or bikes, but it has to go through an Authorised retailer, and there aren't any near me, I'll have to follow it up with them when I have some motivation.

In the meantime I've ordered new frame from Kinesis - a 2018 Racelight 4S - which I can simply lift and shift all the parts on the Felt over to. It arrives Monday (it was supposed to come today, but that's a whole new Saga with DPD).

Denis99

Über Member
8F051512-2CF3-4DF1-AC3C-ECC0D7359123.jpeg
005C5711-66CB-4135-B3FA-6C11E69F3411.jpeg
83C253BC-9982-4655-8674-ABD60724A97E.jpeg
F7B20E81-6A27-4804-94F0-DDBA5477FA83.jpeg
4A5D978D-F3E1-4F56-AC12-2E351B29681F.jpeg
2C5BB6A3-6656-447A-8619-23E58B4CD602.jpeg
Quite a lot of fettling today and this week.

Firstly I had my frame back from Armourtex , they powder coated the frame and forks and had returned it to.
So , I have rebuilt with the components that were on the old paint work frame.

The frame is a steel Singular Osprey.

Secondly, I recently posted about my Woodrup Chimera with some bubbling paint work issues. Really liked the bike, but it was a tad too big for me in truth.
Would have cost somewhere around £350 to get it repainted and one or two braze ons added etc.

Condor had a Condor Heritage (old new stock , on offer), right size, and a simple swap over of the components.

Again another day or so earlier this week.

tom73

Guru
Rear wheel back from the LBS so refitted to the Ribble ended up taking longer than thought.
Turned out i'd nipped the inner type when I put the tyre back on :whistle:
So tyre back off spare inner tube fitted , refitted wheel ,checked brake alignment and all is work just fine. Ready for early morning Sunday ride out.
Old inner tube patched up ready to use as stand in spare tube. At least I know the patchers work out my bottle tube. :laugh:

ColinJ

It's OOW, so they won't replace it, I've asked. They do run a "VIP Replacement Programme" for those with OOW problems, which offers discounts on new frames or bikes, but it has to go through an Authorised retailer, and there aren't any near me, I'll have to follow it up with them when I have some motivation.

In the meantime I've ordered new frame from Kinesis - a 2018 Racelight 4S - which I can simply lift and shift all the parts on the Felt over to. It arrives Monday (it was supposed to come today, but that's a whole new Saga with DPD).
I still think that frames shouldn't just break, especially after such a short time. Fair enough if the bike had been crashed.

I won't be buying Felt! (Not really saying much, because I probably won't be buying another bike any time soon, but it's the thought that counts... :laugh:)

Top Bottom