What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
My old new bike was delivered by courier on Thursday. As it had been mostly dismantled I spent a pleasant hour putting it all back together taking a while to clean and lube various parts along the way. View attachment 476195

Love the wooden kick stand

si_c

Guru
New frame arrived today, headset wasn't fitted, so ambled over to the LBS to get it fitted. I had a go at it myself but the bearings wouldn't stay in. Apparently semi integrated headsets don't need fitting, the bearings are held in by the preload.

Lesson learnt there! Still they bashed the crown race on, and with a full carbon fork, rather them than me!

Edit: will need to do a full build later!

Drago

Legendary Member
Put the Claud Butler away - possible bicep tear, unfit to ride. Extra leg days at the gym and longer walks, try not to let my body regress too much until I can return.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
So you bought it then ?
Yep, went for it. It is a very nice bike. A bit of tidying up, and I have a pair of alloy wheels to go with it. It is a nice looking bike. I have been out on it over the weekend and it rides well.

All uphill

Still rolling along
General adjustments and maintenance after my mintour last week. One day I'll have everything "just so" and it will stay that way for more than 200 miles!

This time the homebuilt tourer needed the front derailleur adjusting and the rear wheel truing, thanks to a direct hit on an enormous pothole in Hampshire.

si_c

Guru
Stripped most of the parts from the Felt - RIP - aside from the lighting rig and transplanted onto the new Racelight frame. Wheels, brakes, drivetrain and full finishing kit are now fitted. Took longer than I anticipated as I was cleaning everything as I went and after I'd removed the drivetrain from the old bike I had to refit it so I could get enough leverage on the crankset to undo the extractor bolt.

I now need to run the cables properly and probably replace everything as the routing is completely difference, and I need to put the blanking plates on everything too. Was thinking about trying to finish it off tonight but I started to run out of time and tidied up instead so Mrs C didn't explode.

Earlier today I fitted a new remote lockout to the fork on the MTB and fitted the narrow-wide chainring I ordered the other day.

Attachments

• IMG_20190722_230206386.jpg
    IMG_20190722_230206386.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 14

si_c

Guru
Finished off the new Kinesis frame build up. All the gear from the Felt has shifted over, and a couple of new cables and outers, but most reused in the end. Had to do the front brake cables and outers as slightly too short, now slightly too long, but such is life. Put the blanking plates on and all sorted.

Just need to out some bottle cages on, but haven't decided if I'm moving the old ones over yet, they are Elite cages and they have a tendency to catch on trouser legs and I've had to have 3 pairs repaired, twice. I might take the opportunity to change them.

I do need new bar tape and the saddle is past it's best, but that's for next month, after payday:whistle:

Attachments

• IMG_20190723_214036325.jpg
    IMG_20190723_214036325.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 11
New chain on the CGR this morning, with a general 'petrolling' of the derailleurs and chainrings
I found that the derailleur hanger-screws were loose, so they were tightened up too

A short test-ride confirmed that the cassette was still okay, & doesn't need the replacement (yet), as the chain didn't skip/jump teeth
Chainset. CGR. 8.JPG

Plus, now that it's dark again, when I'm leaving work on late-turns, I've added a pair of spoke mounted reflectors
The spoke-count of the Aksiums meant that I had to drill holes in the reflectors & mount with thin tie-wraps
(two roundabouts, even on my quickest route home - where they're at the most advantageous)

Reflectors. CGR. 1.JPG Chainset. CGR. 9.JPG

(note to self; must purchase a couple of new chains for stock)

EDIT @ 12:02
The reflectors are a stop-gap, until I can get a pair of the Duranos with reflective banding on the sidewalls
SWMBOs Boardman hybrid has a pair, that look like the Marathon tread-pattern, but aren't
They're rather good at night, even by torchlight!

Last edited:
Top Bottom