What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Im fettling my GSHP ground loop. Ive never needed to service it in 12 yrars, but whilst on holiday last year it lost most of it pressure-presume seals dried up with no use. Its limped along but has stopped working, so no hot water apart from emergency heater coil.

The original installer has now moved onto different pastures-referred me to another company in London who wanted £500 just to come out. Sod that!

Problem Ive had is testing and refilling. The system is USA built and uses an odd set of hose connection with tiny thermocouple inspection ports. After a bit of toing froing to local plumbers merchant I cobbled together a fill setup using a inflation needle from football pump. Ive now added a air bleed valve which has allowed me refill system with water and bleed air out. Thank goodness its holding pressure now :smile:

Ive decided to upgrade the system with a expansion vessel, feed loop and air bleed off. Spares have arrived from Screwfix, so next few days I will build up this kit

Hope to get another 12 years without hiccup

Tenkaykev

Guru
IMG_20190717_144154.jpg

Fitted new stays on front and rear mudguards, just noticed the top stay bracket needs alignment.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I serviced my wife's old Raleigh Pioneer as she has decided that she wants to go for a ride tomorrow. The bike is 30 years old but had done probably less than 50 miles. Last ridden about 5 years ago. Once the dust was cleaned off and the gears and brakes checked, tyres pumped up etc. It is good to go. It is in remarkedly good condition .

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
That was a productive fettle. All in my lunch break.

New tyres on my Audax bike. Re-greased the rear hub and tightened a very slightly loose hub bearing. On this bike you need to take off the cassette and disc rotor. However I put it all back this time, it is now almost silent when on the big chain ring. For whatever reason, for over 8000km it has never sounded as smooth as I have wanted it. So I am delighted.

And puritans, you can look away now. I fitted cleats to my SPD sandals :laugh:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I may be fettling this tyre into the bin after today's ride - cut sidewall and almost instantanious deflation, but I managed to do the last 20 miles by using a tyre boot ( an offcut of a thick innertube) and inflating to less than 50psi. This is how it looked when I got home and filled it to normal pressure to see if it was salvageable...
Split tyre - Reedham run.jpg

Hicky

Guru
Re trued and serviced hubs wheels back on the bike with new Lithon 3's, cassette cleaned and chain half heartedly cleaned(I must get a cleaning tool), all creaks gone and with the new pads it's feeling newish, I say that as the bar tape is a bit grubby......the graffiti is clearly done by a blue supported some time after the PL win
Vannic.jpeg

JhnBssll

Veteran
Had a minor fettle of the Bianchi this evening; saddle up 5mm and tipped forward slightly, bars down 5mm. Will see how I get on - I raised the saddle 5mm recently but felt it could come up a little further. The bars have been dropping gradually as my beer gut recedes and allows me to bend over further :okay::laugh:

20190718_204921.jpg

A quick whizz round the block in my jeans told me nothing :laugh: I'll try and get out on it over the weekend if the weather allows :okay:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Had a minor fettle of the Bianchi this evening; saddle up 5mm and tipped forward slightly, bars down 5mm. Will see how I get on - I raised the saddle 5mm recently but felt it could come up a little further. The bars have been dropping gradually as my beer gut recedes and allows me to bend over further :okay::laugh:

View attachment 476054
A quick whizz round the block in my jeans told me nothing :laugh: I'll try and get out on it over the weekend if the weather allows :okay:

Blimey gold disc brakes :-)

Top Bottom