What Have You Fettled Today?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by threebikesmcginty, 29 Sep 2011.

1. tom73

tom73 Über Member

Out on the morning ride something was making one hell of a noise sounded like the front wheel was about to came off. Pulled over checked it nothing. Had a drink looked down and it was the bottle cage it had come loose a quick fix by hand as I was almost home. :laugh: So 1st thing tonight was to sort that.
    Then time to give the Ribble a good clean. After Cleaning the chain I thought i'd try the Wend wax Mrs 73 got me.
    Not sure how it will hold up but if anything else it now smell's lovely. :becool:

Attached Files:

2. Basket worked loose, luckily I was at the market, and was able to buy an adjustable wrench there. Just the right size for a seat pack, a bit small for general use.

Vantage and tom73 like this.
  3. DCBassman

DCBassman Veteran

2nd bottle cage fitted to the Scott.

Vantage, dave r and Gravity Aided like this.
  4. tom73

tom73 Über Member

No bike cleaning left to do so turned attention to giving the path a good clean.
    I don't know what it is about these loggers they fly 1000's of miles every year to spend the summer with us and still find time to make a mess.
    I won't have it any other way it's always good to have them stay :smile:

Attached Files:

Vantage, dave r and Gravity Aided like this.
  5. Yesterday was the monthly chain-ring & cassette removal for cleaning/inspection, for the CGR

All okay, & deemed fit
    Change of chain, at the end of the month though

Chainset. CGR. 7.JPG

Gravity Aided and Vantage like this.
  6. Also, yesterday;
    Whilst giving Joannes bike a check-over, the pedals bearing felt like they'd been filled with sand, not grease
    I know they're only (probably) the cheapest that can be obtained to fit, but bearings matter
    She has used SPDs in the past, when she had an Orange 'Aluminium O', back in the early 90s, & actually raced!
    However, this is just a commuter, & that's all she'll probably do?
    (it had clips/straps, but she wanted them removing - they were a 'L' pair anyway)

A few dribble of a decent oil into them, has produced a free-spinning l/h pedal

Pedals. HYB86. 1.JPG

The r/h has been left overnight, upright, with oil in the outer bearing to run through
    I'll check it shortly

7. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this....

Youngest son does an after-school MTB session thing on Wednesdays but arrived home early today, coasting down our avenue with his chain hung around his neck!

Turns out he had managed to pop one of the links. It's a KMC chain and had failed at a random link nowhere near the join. He did say the indexing had been off prior to the failure and after fitting a quick-link in place of the break it seems to be running fine so maybe the side plate was hanging off for a little while before it finally gave up?
    I'm amazed he managed to break the chain this way, the KMC chains are notoriously hard to push a pin out due to the peened pin heads, yet he had bent the side plate away from the pin which allowed the link to open up and separate.

I'll give it a few rides and if he has any further problems I already have a spare 11spd chain sat on the shelf waiting.

8. Drago

Drago Flouncing Nobber

Nothing major, just a post first-time shakedown on the Felt following installation of DT Swiss wheels. May have given it a quick clean as well ;)

Vantage, Gravity Aided and tom73 like this.
  9. Supersuperleeds

Supersuperleeds Guru

Seeing this thread reminded me I need to pump up the tyres on the commuter, they felt a bit squishy at dinner time when I went out. Both tyres down to 60 psi, I run them at 100 normally, might be a bit easier ride tomorrow :rolleyes:

Vantage, Gravity Aided, Drago and 2 others like this.
  10. Took the Dawes Eclipse to the basement today, to get it out of the way of the bicycles I'm using now. It was bought for a winter bike, and needs some mods for that.

11. flatflr

flatflr Über Member

Fettled the two screws I bought today as the last part of my self build Genesis Coix de Fer
    20190712_192415.jpg

Last edited: 12 Jul 2019
    Vantage, Zeffer, DCBassman and 4 others like this.
  12. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Used a bike I hadn't ridden for a while, needed to get flat pedals fitted as a knee flare is preventing clipping in. Rode about 10 miles ok on Thursday. Started off for a ride yesterday, about half a mile up the road, rear tyre was feeling strange and making odd noises...uh oh, PF visit I thought...so had a look... see pics...

Turned round, made it home, got another bike, rode to and from lunch assignation clipped in on one foot.

Fortunately, had a new tyre in shed so all fixed

Attached Files:

Rickshaw Phil likes this.
  13. Salty seadog

Salty seadog Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

Pushed Henry around the house.

Gravity Aided and tom73 like this.
  14. Zeffer

Zeffer Senior Member

25BCA9E0-881A-4EF4-BAB3-05675B0FED9E.jpeg Flipped the stem on my Croix de Fer self-build. Much better!

15. alicat

alicat Legendary Member

Persuaded a cassette to part company from the freewotsit. Very satisfying series of cracks when it realised who was boss. ^_^

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice