What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
I am not alone! :laugh:

It's not the first time either!

In my defense I'd put the little lad to bed, quickly tided, sorted the tyre and just popped the old chain off and the little monster woke up screaming cutting one of his last teeth. A dollop of calpolalike and getting him resettled took me past 10pm and into the darkness by the time I was joining the chain

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Where to start...

First off, I discovered a thin layer of oil on the fork and seatstay near the dropouts and consequently near the disc brakes. Could this be the reason the brakes are so crap? Likely.
Sooooo, both rotors came off and were blitzed with brillo pads. Then the brake pads were done. The ones on the front went back in OK. But not the rear. Despite numerous attempts at fitting them I had no luck. So off comes the caliper and took it to bits to find out why. Interesting if simple design and problem solved. Rebuilt it and brakes are functioning as before. Not tested them yet though.
Next I greased the shifters and set about getting the indexing sorted. The chain was making a racket last night. Again, not tested them yet.
Then I discovered my back wheel wasn't true. Out by 3-4mm. Probly bent it when I fell off last week. Set about truing that.
Finally I dug out a longer bolt for the front light bracket so that it sits further out in front and hopefully results in the top of the front mudguard not being lit up like Blackpool and blinding me as I ride. Which it did last night.
If I ever mention I'm thinking of training to be a cycle mechanic, please talk me out of it. I near belted the bloody bike with a hammer at one point. :blush:

si_c

Guru
Fitted a new saddle, which necessitated digging around in the parts box for a 27.2mm seatpost - the bolt on the existing one is completely rounded out, I seem to recall this happening when I put the old saddle and post together and thinking I'll deal with that later.

The old saddle was properly worn out - the sides were separating from the rubber and the nose had disintegrated with the jelly filling starting to come out. Not to mention the fibreglass base was springy. Disappointing - it's only lasted 23k km. Anyway, I fitted a new Fabric Line Elite saddle, I've been wanting to experiment with a cut out type saddle and this seemed to be a good match. It does feel a tad different but we'll see how it goes, it certainly wasn't uncomfortable on the way into work today but a longer run in is needed.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Making cup and cone bearings properly is actually a fairly expensive process as it requires forging - which is the reason why few manufacturers use them. It's actually far cheaper to manufacture hubs with cartridge bearings as these are available in large numbers and very cheap and the hub shell can be made in a variety of ways with limited impact on the bearings.

Some markets still demand durability and serviceability in components containing bearings. Hence you can still find cup & cone BB's, wheel bearings, and ball race threaded headsets with quill stems. The lower budget town bike, hybrid and MTB market still uses these, along with other no-nonsense parts like steel triple chainrings and six-speed freewheels.
All my derailleur bikes embody this sort of stuff, even the high quality ones with 531 frames. You won't find any press fit or sealed unit cartridge bearings on any of mine, nor any of those new-fangled non-quill headsets. requiring spacers.

Further adventures in thermo-bike-mechanics

Today I got around to the stuck seatpost that has been annoying me for a while. The frame is 753, so I have been going softly softly so as not to bork it.:stop:

So, today was cold time:cold:, got a jug of ice with a bit of water in and immersed the seatpost. I left it for ages, apploed a bit of force and...nothing..except for a red face and skinned knuckles. :cursing:. The seatpost went back in the ice for ages more and this time...it’s out^_^

Jenkins

Legendary Member
First evening shift in a while and I hadn't appreciated how much earlier it's starting to get dark. As a result my kitchen was filled with various coloured flashing lights earlier, with all the various lights & batteries being charged.

si_c

Guru
First evening shift in a while and I hadn't appreciated how much earlier it's starting to get dark. As a result my kitchen was filled with various coloured flashing lights earlier, with all the various lights & batteries being charged.
That's why I love my dynamo lights!

Hicky

Guru
No riding today as seemingly overnight a spoke snapped. I guess I'm on the lookout for an upgrade for the wheels as I've snapped 5/6 spokes in 3/4000miles. I'm not overly happy with them. I've abused my aksiums and they've never needed truing!

si_c

Guru
No riding today as seemingly overnight a spoke snapped. I guess I'm on the lookout for an upgrade for the wheels as I've snapped 5/6 spokes in 3/4000miles. I'm not overly happy with them. I've abused my aksiums and they've never needed truing!

Probably don't need new wheels but a wheel rebuild - most likely the wheels weren't stress relieved properly during the build process and depending on who did the spoke replacement possibly not then either. You need to replace the broken spokes and completely detension all the spokes in each wheel then go through the tension and truing process properly and that should fix the problems.

Hicky

Guru
Probably don't need new wheels but a wheel rebuild - most likely the wheels weren't stress relieved properly during the build process and depending on who did the spoke replacement possibly not then either. You need to replace the broken spokes and completely detension all the spokes in each wheel then go through the tension and truing process properly and that should fix the problems.

They're tiagra hub on open sport rims so not an amazing level enough to warrant a rebuild however I get the work done at the place I bought them from.

Top Bottom