What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domus

Guru
Fitted the new Dura Ace wheels, GP5000 tyres, new brake shoes and new bar tape while the rain poured down, dried up in time to take a pic.

IMG_0425.jpg

Fitted the new Dura Ace wheels, GP5000 tyres, new brake shoes and new bar tape while the rain poured down, dried up in time to take a pic.

View attachment 479700
Looking good, a nice bike
Well equipped

it may be your position, but you do seem to have no 'set-back' on that saddle

I have 3 (Ribbles)
'Preston' (replaced my old Dyna-Tech 755Ti, as 'do it all' bike)
Rides. Hooton Pagnell. 2.JPG

Gran Fondo
50th birthday present from SWMBO (2018 picture
Ribble. Gran Fondo. 3.JPG

CGR
Replaced 'Preston' as work-bike, due to deteriorating road-surfaces (I could go to fat tyres; '28' section)
Road-Trip. 36.JPG

Domus

Guru
The Gran Fondo is the bike I fancied, the chap at Ribble sat me on it and the Sportive and said the Sportive geometry would suit me better, they were about the same price so got that. Do you think my saddle needs moving back?
My winter bike is also a Ribble a CR1, rack, mudguards and a Son dynamo hub, I may get some 28mm Durano DDs to help with the poor roads.

The Gran Fondo is the bike I fancied, the chap at Ribble sat me on it and the Sportive and said the Sportive geometry would suit me better, they were about the same price so got that.
Do you think my saddle needs moving back?
It does depend on your Femur length
But, the generally accepted position for correct position & power is
ball of foot over the pedal spindle
Knee over the spindle
Bike-Fit. 1.jpg

Bike-Fit. 2.jpg

Take the reach afterwards, even if it means not having that 'pro-look' 140mm stem
I'll admit, I sit even further back, but have had that position for 25 years+

Road-Trip. 18.JPG Road-Trip. 21.jpg

My winter bike is also a Ribble a CR1, rack, mudguards and a Son dynamo hub, I may get some 28mm Durano DDs to help with the poor roads.
I looked at the CR3, when that came out, but they couldn't offer it as a 105 group, with hydraulic discs at the time
The guy I spoke to couldn't even tell me if it took mudguards

My CGR, is;
Tiagra 10-speed
Barring, 785 'brifters'/505 calipers (hydraulic)

Full 'guards, with big flaps (oo-er!!)
Lots of rechargeable lights
Selle-Italia 'Flite'
Durano DD '28' (which work better than expected in mud!!)

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Degreased the chain on the Boardman Pro FS MTB - went out earlier and it's an absolute filthy mess, so time to clean it up and remove the gunk.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
On Sunday, another rider spotted I had a wobble in my back wheel. I looked and thought the tyre needed reseating. Had a look today to sort it out (deflated tyres, worked my hand around the tyre to reseat), but something made me run my hand gently along the spokes. Ping! One broke. I’ve never fixed spokes before and didn’t want to try as I have a ride tomorrow so off to the LBS who fixed it. Ping! A second spoke broke as he was truing the wheel. He fixed that, trued the wheel and job done. £15 later and back home I put the wheel back on the bike. Hope no more spokes go...

Then the rubber on my Wahoo speed sensor broke. Quick fix with a cable tie fortunately.

Tom B

Guru
Degreased the chain on the Boardman Pro FS MTB - went out earlier and it's an absolute filthy mess, so time to clean it up and remove the gunk.

Exactly this but on the team fs.

Have you replaced the wheels on yours?

The hubs are crap. Mine has done about 1k usually in appalling conditions and the front is goosed. The nobrand freehub on the rear is also goosed still working but sounds like a bag of nails with awful rolling resistance.

Last edited:

Hicky

Guru
Just had the go ahead on the 6th revision of plans after planning refused the first and the guy drawing up the plans cocked up the subsequent ones going on permitted development.
We’re supposed to be over half way through the build:rolleyes:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Just had the go ahead on the 6th revision of plans after planning refused the first and the guy drawing up the plans cocked up the subsequent ones going on permitted development.
We’re supposed to be over half way through the build:rolleyes:

It's a painful lesson to learn that planning can be a lottery and that there are very few smooth rides through life...

Top Bottom