What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I thoroughly cleaned my pride and joy, the Specialized Roubaix Expert SL4 road bike I currently use for commuting. What a nice bike this one is! :smile:

Tom B

Guru
Thursday having bought a new front wheel for my MTB I fettled that up, tyre on and onto the bike.

Friday I was riding home on my commuter hybrid when a couple of spokes snapped at the thread on the front wheel of that bike... Sods law. Spent some time snapping them off to avoid a calamity

Trying to decide if to just get the broken spokes replaced, the wheel rebuilt with new spokes (and maybe a hub) or buy a new wheel. The existing 6yrs old and has about 15k (strava) on it so probably heading towards 20k. It's a boring Shimano M475 hub and incredibly I can't ever recall servicing or even adjusting the cup and cone bearings.

I think I'm leaning towards having the wheel rebuilt with new spokes and a decision on the hub when taken apart.

But if anyone spots a good on a 28/32 spoke 700c with QR front wheel I'd consider it. I replaced the rear with a Shimano MT15 on a bargain earlier in the year and happy with that but it could have done with being 32/36 given I use the bike with a trailer and a kiddie seat and sometimes both.

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Wednesday, I straightened the dropouts in a Raleigh Sojourn frame, and a couple of chainstays as well. As the furnace man was here, and I wanted to be nearby, in case equipment was needed. I may be one of the few places where the furnace guys borrow tools. Although this was just a blower motor replacement, after a few decades.

Tom B

Guru
There are composite doors and composite doors. The cheapos are crap.

Highly recommend my Solidor front door. Engineered wood faced with plastic reassuringly heavy.

alicat

Legendary Member
What's a YOD when it's at home?

JhnBssll

Veteran
I had to do that the other day too - glad I'm not the only one :laugh:

I fitted a camera mount to my full face helmet this afternoon then had a little fettle of the stumpjumper - quick clean and relube of the chain and various small tweaks. Then took the newly mounted camera for a quick spin to check it was pointing in the right direction :laugh:

All ready for bike park wales next saturday now ^_^:becool:

20190824_190915.jpg
20190824_193049.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The orange Carlton Corsa re-build decided to disintegrate it's threadless bottom bracket whilst on holiday, and sealant didn't do anything. So ...
  • Put fresh grease into the rear wheel and tightened it to stop a bit of the movement
  • Removed threadless bottom bracket, cleaned everything and firmly fitted a Velo Orange bottom bracket I'd forgotten I had. Which, if I'd remembered, would have been fitted in the first place :rolleyes:
  • Added some orange chainring bolts for looks
Cleaned the NeilPryde Nazare and some other bits as well.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I fixed a puncture with a Poundland repair kit. They still contain tubes for Woods valves and a couple of Allen keys for some reason. At least the tyre levers are now plastic, the metal ones used to damage your inner-tube beyond repair. They'd sell just as many kits if all they contained was the glue, patches and 'cheese-grater'.

Top Bottom