What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh, and!

We went out for a local 'tootle' yesterday, not far

One of the lanes we went down, Lock Lane, once past the houses (now) services a couple of paddocks, fishermans access to the Aire & Calder Navigation Canal (essentially, as it passes under the M62, between jcts 30 & 31)

As she jolted over some of the broken tarmac & tried to avoid pot-holes, there was a constant clattering
I'd only checked it over the week before, so knew it was okay

It seems that the 'P clips' on the pannier-bags were rattling on the rack, as they're too large a diameter (& bags were empty)

Not so much a fettling, but a diagnosis of a problem

This is the better section of Lock Lane
We rode towards the camera-woman
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4855237

Last edited:
Faffed about with SWMBOs Boardman hybrid

I fitted a rear reflector, & a pair of side-reflectors
Well, to be honest it already had a rear, but, it was a trailer 'triangle' bolted to the pannier-rack, so will have to be removed, when I fit lights to it

I found a mudguard mount reflector in my bits & pieces drawer
Stuck it in the workstand, & had to dig out a mains-drill, as I've still not bought another cordless drill yet:blush:
I took the wheel out, as I didn't fancy risking drilling into the tyre
Schwalbe Marathons are renown for puncture resistance, but maybe not with HSS bits???

Measure twice
Reflectors. HYB 86. 1.JPG

Find appropriate drill-bits
Reflectors. HYB 86. 2.JPG

Wheel out, & ready to drill
Reflectors. HYB 86. 3.JPG

Bolt tightened & copper-greased
Reflectors. HYB 86. 5.JPG

The side-reflectors are some of my old 'caravan/trailer' stock that were just languishing in a shed drawer
Careful drilling, & a couple of tie-wraps

I was going to put a pair of spoke-mounted reflectors on it too, but I must have disposed of them, as I can't see them in any drawer
However, Amelias old bike, gathering dust, in the garage had a pair that were removed (needed step-ladder, as it was hanging in the eaves; 10 foot up)

Different spoke-count, so more small holes drilled, & tie-wraps to spokes, to stop reflectors twisting, & turning laterally

Reflectors. HYB 86. 8.JPG

Next Tasks....
1. Lights, for when she's commuting, & clocks 'go back'
2. Persuade her that a rear mudflap is a good idea
3. Persuade her that SPD pedals/shoes are needed (she wore them, for MTBing in early 90's..... and even raced!!!)
dsfadsfdf.jpg

Last edited:

Goldy

Sorted a few squeaks & rattles on the kona after yesterdays off rd trip.
Found the front brake return spring had released itself causing block to rub wheel (1 squeak sorted).
Did a bit of truing of the rear wheel, (1st time & it worked) thanks Google. Cleaned and lubed the rear derailleur (2nd squeak sorted)
Rattle traced to loose bottle cage, tightened. Finally gave it a clean ready for tomorrow.

C R

Guru
The cistern in the upstairs loo doesn't reset, looks like it needs a new flush unit. More more money that would be better spent on bike stuff
Is it one of those cable actuated ones by any chance? If so, a few drops of oil down the cable could be all that is needed.

Goldy

Is it one of those cable actuated ones by any chance? If so, a few drops of oil down the cable could be all that is needed.

The cable is OK there's a plastic lug snapped stopping the valve from shutting fully. A complete new unit is quite cheap and just clips in place

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Yet another puncture patched on the Voodoo 29er - this time a tiny piece of thorn or flint just piercing the tyre enough to put a microscopic hole in the tube. Away from the knobbly bits, the Maxxis Ardents are way too thin.

As I was in the shed and had the day off, I also took the opportuntity to give the chains of all 4 Ti bikes a good clean and then gave the frames of each of them a quick going over with Autoglym car polish.

The cistern in the upstairs loo doesn't reset, looks like it needs a new flush unit. More more money that would be better spent on bike stuff

I appreciate that, I'll agree
The last month (or so) for me, has seen me pay for;
- 4 x new brake-discs, full pad set, fluid change for my car
- weeks holiday, in Northumberland next month, for SWMBO & me
- new TV for front parlour, as colours went to 'rats' on the old one

Plus;
- van hire to take daughter to rented house, for University
Also, for her;
- 2 seater settee, & arm-chair for house
- fridge/freezer & washer, that we negotiated with the previous tenants
- new TV, for her house
- bedroom furniture & new bed (so hers could be left here)
- paid her car insurance (££££!!)

I'm just thinking what I could have bought, in the way of bikes, instead:wacko:

Last edited:
Top Bottom