What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fettle fail.

Decided I'd fit the Rock Bros bell to my MTB (it's a copy of a very expensive one). Bike was still ground anchored, so couldn't move it) but the little metal 'band' is a bugger to get it to stay in place as you fit the bell. Gave up after the third time the band popped out as I had other stuff to do, and fitting a bell is a 30 second job (not on these).

Will do it tomorrow when I have time.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Made myself a new bracket for the rear light on my new ti build. I dont like the standard rubber band jobby and wanted it mounted a little higher for better visibility...

20190907_195537.jpg

I decided I'd design a bracket to fit to the underside of the saddle box. It had a couple of bosses in the bottom already so I used them as mounting point and designed around them..

20190907_204605.jpg

I had to guess a few of the dimensions but figured I could iterate if it didnt fit first time so set the printer going...

20190907_230732.jpg

Two hours later I had a finished bracket...

20190907_231509.jpg

It all went together rather well, bit of a result...

20190907_232450.jpg

And then assembled on to the bike...

20190907_232538.jpg

Jobs a goodun. Now I need to print a second one for the Bianchi :laugh:

20190907_232616.jpg

fossyant

. In the process I noticed what a big weight difference there is between the two bikes; of course I expected there to be a difference, but the Bianchi is very light for a MTB, <11kg on the scales with 100mm of front suspension and a dropper post

My Wife's XC bike is light compared to my Trail FS - and both are alloy frames and full suspension. Difference is size and travel.

I'll have to weigh them, as both have droppers too.

fossyant

Fettle fail.

Decided I'd fit the Rock Bros bell to my MTB (it's a copy of a very expensive one). Bike was still ground anchored, so couldn't move it) but the little metal 'band' is a bugger to get it to stay in place as you fit the bell. Gave up after the third time the band popped out as I had other stuff to do, and fitting a bell is a 30 second job (not on these).

Will do it tomorrow when I have time.

Well if you fit it upside down, you can see that the strap engages properly. Doh. Took 2 minutes. Lovely 'ding' noise.

It's one of these, but you can get them for about £3 on ebay.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rockbros-B...ocphy=1007118&hvtargid=pla-497567246764&psc=1

JhnBssll

Veteran
I cleaned the Oltre this evening, its first proper strip clean for a while and slightly overdue. She's been used in all weather recently as I sold the Roubaix to fund the new Ti frameset a while back. Since the Ti bike is now operational I took the time to give the Bianchi some TLC :wub: I printed a second brake light mount off this afternoon and fitted that too :okay:

20190908_213940.jpg
20190908_225122.jpg
20190908_225207.jpg
20190908_233244.jpg

I also juggled the bikes around in the garage to make space for the Veturi on the wall :okay:

20190908_113731.jpg

Not so much a 'Fettle', more of a swap, because I had to;

Rode home from work this evening, arriving about 20:35
Opened gate to the lower level path, where the door to the basement is
Lifted bike by saddle, & it felt odd

I had a look, & a saddle-rail had sheared!:angry:
(presumably) Solid titanium

CGR. 14.JPG

I can't say when it happened, as presumably, it would have been held in place by my weight when riding it?

CGR.15.JPG

So, the identical (but far older) Flite was taken off my Gran Fondo, as I can't envisage riding that again this year

Odd Fact
The Flite, that was on the Gran Fondo (which itself was previously on my Dyna-Tech 755Ti, which was bought, & fitted to that, back in 1994) is 30grammes lighter than the 2013 reproduction/retro Flite that was on my 'blue' Ribble, before transferring to the CGR

It shouldn't need alteration of position, as I've put it to the same set-back, & angle

Came home today, after a bit of a meander, including a stretch of canal towpath, to a bit of creak
('never rains, but it pours')
Well, it's creaked for a couple of weeks

So, it was BB strip time
I had 2 spares, in the shed, which was good
Memo To Self; no spare chains, need to buy a couple

The old one was getting quite dry, but not as bad as the BB on 'Preston' (my blue Ribble) that had 2 BBs in less than 3 years

Bottom Bracket. CGR. 2.JPG

The lines on the chain-stay, are where the inner-ring 'folded' on me, during an off-road ride, through the site of an old hunting lodge, that was later the site of a (now reclaimed) pit & associated railway embankment
Bottom Bracket. CGR. 5.JPG

All well greased, the BB shell had a fine covering of surface rust
Bottom Bracket. CGR. 7.JPG

What the protective shell had picked up
Bottom Bracket. CGR. 8.JPG

The chain was also 'petrolled' to clear out some grime

IaninSheffield

Veteran
When replacing cassette and chain on Koga last week, wondered about changing chain rings. Happy with gearing so counted teeth so I could replace like for like - 22-32-43! Yep, not 44 or 42, but 43 ... although the reason was that one of the teeth had sheared off! Never had that before. No idea when it happened.

Replacement ring has arrived, so fitted that today.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A day of fettling yesterday on a very tatty 1948 Raleigh.

DSC0007618.jpg

This is one of a matched pair that my Aunt has, which were inherited from her late husband. I know for certain that they have been stored in a stable since the mid 1980s and given that I've only ever known them in a rather neglected condition it's probable they haven't actually been used for ten or possibly even twenty years before that.

My Aunt has decided that she would like to keep this one and take it to vintage shows so after asking me to give it a good look over, authorized the purchase of some new parts to make it useable.

New wheels were a must as the rims are scrap and unfortunately it doesn't appear to be possible to get rod-brake (Westwood) rims in anything other than 36 hole which scuppered any hope of reusing the 32/40 hole original hubs. (I'll dismantle the old wheels and put those aside for some future project) I found the replacements at Freemans Cycles who I haven't used before now. Other required parts came from SJS or Spa.

It looked really daunting when I brought the rusty remains of a bicycle home to work on it. The first thing was to give it all a good clean which made it look better. I haven't worked on anything rod-braked before so had to work out how to get the wheels out before I could do anything.

It was all very slow going as I didn't want to get things wrong but the bike now has new wheels, tyres, tubes, brake blocks and saddle (it might be possible to revive the original but as it has tears/rot round some of the rivets I don't think it would be trustworthy). Brakes are adjusted (oddly the rear brake rod was too long and bottoming out in the adjuster - the blocks would only just touch the rim until I cut a small bit off the rod.)

The old chain seems to have a longer pitch than the usual 1/2 inch which caused some aggro as I'd counted links to try and get the length right - I don't know if it was intended for another application and since it was so corroded will never know how well it worked.:scratch: The new one is clearly right as it meshes perfectly and runs smoothly.:okay:

There were a few adjustments needed to mudguards and chainguard which were bent and/or loose.

There is more that needs doing but at the end of the day it was rideable for the first time in many years:

DSC0007621.jpg

Top Bottom