What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

The lowest 2 gears wont index. Skipping 9. If I index these, the high end skips.
I have wound B in a little. I'll go further. Thanks Si.

Have you looked at the park tool guide? They recon a gap between 5 and 6 mm between the big cog and the cage.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailleur-adjustment

JhnBssll

Veteran
I fitted a chain catcher to the Bianchi yesterday; I had to modify the small silver mounting plate to fit the band-on adapter as it's made to fit a braze on style mount. All went well but I wasn't super happy with the finish; there were a few marks from the vice jaws and the modified shape wasn't perfect so decided to try and clean it up a little today.

20180805_144138.jpg

I got the worst of the vice marks off and finished ginding the edges so it looked designed rather than bodged but there were still a few pits in the metal. What the hell, I may as well paint it orange then :laugh: I thought I'd try the same combination of coats I used for the Di2 bezel to try and get close to the same colour but took a few pictures in between this time...

First Halfords orange filler primer:

20180806_210250.jpg

Second Holts Auto spray paint HOR05:

20180806_210742.jpg

Third Canbrush Candy Yellow C016:

20180806_211519.jpg

Finally UPOL Clearcoat:

20180806_212114.jpg

20180806_212223.jpg

No idea how it'll come out or look on the bike yet as it's still drying :laugh:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
My new Kojaks arrived today so they were put on. With the big Schwalbe and Kojak lettering, the Spa now looks like a drag strip racing tourer!

The retro rubber block pedals for the n+1 arrived today also. The rubber blocks are plastic and the bearings are rough as a hedgehogs arse. What the hell, it's only being used on the turbo and as a shopper.
The n+1 was also part built up today. Chainset built up, BB fitted, steerer chopped as I've no spacers left but it's quite high anyway, saddle fitted and bar and stem fitted. Hacked a lump of tubing from the seat tube from the old busted Vantage frame to be used as a spacer for the front mech. That'll need some dremelling before I can use it.

bruce1530

Guru
New chain.

My own fault....

Mea Culpa!!
Background/'ramblings'.....

I'd taken the chainrings off the CGR last week, to clean them up behind the spider & crank, just to make sure they were okay

As I was re-installing, daughters dog went ballistic at someone walking past
I shouted & carried on

Put it straight away afterwards, as I was intending using the Gran Fondo over the weekend

Went out on it this morning, as I was fully intending using it to go along a couple of old railway branches at Rothwell, now footpaths/bridleways, after a meet for tea

I set off, up Aberford Road, towards the M62 (jct 30), it had changed up onto the big ring well enough, but I had to stop at the (new) traffic-lights at the crossroads with Newmarket Lane & CastleGate
It 'dropped' the chain between the rings

I thought nothing of it, just one of those things

Down to Oulton roundabout, & a turn onto Oulton Lane, & visit to the Church of St John the Evangelist, for the The CC Trig Point bagger thread
It dropped again...………..

If I'd not been meeting Olivia, an old friend, who I worked with for a couple of years (before she jumped ship to the Yorkshire Ambulance Service) at the Café in Rothwell Park, for 'Brew & Cake' I'd have gone home, but as I was only a mile from her

Tea, talk cake finished, I headed off, to photograph a few things in the town

Then onto the old lines, at the site of John O Gaunts 'Castle' (Hunting Lodge)
Climbing up the remnants of a banking (I'd already been up a couple), forward motion stopped

The chain had dropped, bent the inner ring!
Upon looking, two chain-ring bolts had either sheared or worked loose (I know I tightened them, as I gave the Allen Key a final 'tap' with a rubber mallet)

Nothing to do but turn around & head back, it would thankfully, take the chain on the big-ring
So, not liking doing it, but I rode the flat/downhill parts with the chain at a great cross-over (50 x 23) for gentle pedalling

I passed my parents street, so debated calling in, to leave it there, & get a lift home, then return with the Octavia for it

However, I could ride from the little crest behind their house, all the way home, downhill & on the flat, with only one little rise by going 'off-road'...…
Along the 'Nagger Lines', alongside the River Calder, through NewLands Woods

Finally, the reason why.....:blush:
Upon getting home, & changed, I set to

Looking straight down at it
Chainset. CGR. 2.JPG

It had been catching on the frame with the very lightest noise, but I reckoned that any damage was done when the bolts first sheared, & as there was no load on them now, it was safe to have gently ridden it back home

These two marks are all the damage:highfive:
Chainset. CGR. 3.jpg

On inspection, it had also 'distorted' & stretched slightly
I did try to straighten in the vice, with a couple of steel plates
Too 'stretched'
Chainset. CGR. 4.JPG

Then I noticed...……………….

I'd put it back on, the wrong way round when the dog was barking like a mentalist:banghead:
Hence too large a gap, between the rings
And, the bolts had worked loose, not sheared

So, replacements ordered this afternoon

Dumb-Ass!!!!

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Definite creaking noise coming from the seat post area, but couldn't tightened the bolt on the seat clamp further, so bought a new one today and fitted outside Halfords.

Defintely quieter now!

Mea Culpa!!

I'd put it back on, the wrong way round when the dog was barking like a mentalist:banghead:

Hot damn!!!
I only ordered, from Wiggle, yesterday afternoon about 14:30 - 15:00
Received text, at 13:33, to say a parcel has arrived at the local 'drop & collect'

I thought it better to do that, as Sods Law dictates that if I'd had it delivered here, it'd come whilst I was at papershop, or walking Dog & come back to a card in the letterbox & a later delivery another day

Going round now!

My own fault....

Mea Culpa!!

Dumb-Ass!!!!

Hot damn!!!
I only ordered, from Wiggle, yesterday afternoon about 14:30 - 15:00
Received text, at 13:33, to say a parcel has arrived at the local 'drop & collect'

I thought it better to do that, as Sods Law dictates that if I'd had it delivered here, it'd come whilst I was at papershop, or walking Dog & come back to a card in the letterbox & a later delivery another day

Going round now!

Sorted it within 15 minutes of getting back:okay:
I just put the new inner-ring on, keeping the '50' & the cranks in the bags
Yes, I made sure they were the correct way round this time:angel:

Then, I went out to take a variety of photos, using both it, and, the re-fettled 'blue' bike, as I'd put new brake-block on it
Not too keen on that saddle, as I'd taken the 'Flite' (90's pattern) off it, when it went into storage

Photos;
NewLands Lane

'Pinnacle of Success'

'Bricking It!

Taking 'Stocks'...…….

The 'Transplanted' Bells!

Station to Station

Marking Your Territory

Last edited:
Top Bottom