What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Trued the 5 speed wheel on the Raleigh Ascender and it's now OK, having given up trying to source a replacement 5 speed one. Tyres are a little bit cracked but have held air fine so they're staying. Also worked on the LH gear shifter and it now shifts properly. Finally, fixed the rear derailleur which had been strangled in fishing twine. Chain and derailleurs properly cleaned and lubricated/greased. It'll go on sale tomorrow.

dscf6372-jpg.jpg

Currently replacing the tubs on my son's track bike 5 spoke and disc wheels for winter indoor racing. The Tufo S3's currently on them have been very well glued - they're going onto the Campag wheels off my Gitane purchase.

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
Changed the oil in the rohloff. Realised I’ve now done that every September for 13 years and on a couple of extra occasions. Also fettled the sticky rear v brake which involved removing the rohloff shifter cables because a bolt in the cable bridge had seized. Of course one of the cables frayed a bit so put it back temporarily while I get the enthusiasm for changing it.

Tom B

Guru
Had a play on the MTB around the park yesterday. noticed there was still some rock on the front wheel/headset. Had assumed it was from the knackered hub previously

Added two washers to the thru axle to make it to nip up at a better point. Bearings in new wheel are spot on so reset the pinch on the headset.

Rock sorted.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Took single-speed group off of a Bianchi Squadra I got at the bike co-op, and started the search for period Shimano Tri-color 600 group, most of which was found in my garage, as I have a Trek 600, also from 1986, with the same group, which I have been modernizing as I go. I will put the single speed stuff on my Facet BioTour 2000, as it's a good, light frame with no derailleur hanger. Tange, I am told, The Bianchi Squadra is Columbus Formula 2.
squadra-frame-as-recieved.jpg

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/1...nder-an-assumed-identity.253310/#post-5740513

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Hydraulic brake pipes shortened on the Trek Fuel EX9, with the help of a friend, coffee & cake.

DSC_1996.JPG

They needed shortening as I've gone over to 1 x 11, and the brakes came off a longer bike.

:smile:

DCLane

It's getting cooler in the mornings, therefore 'swapover' time is coming:
  • Pulled son's Boardman AirPro winter training bike out of storage, cleaned and lubricated. All looks to work fine.
  • My 'new' Avanti Circa winter bike needed a new tube on the front. All sorted. I'm not sure running 40mm carbon/aluminium wheels for weekends/commuting and cross tyres on Fulcrum 5 LG's for more turbulent weather will be the most sensible option but so what. They're leftovers which I had hanging around and I've always got my Raleigh Pioneer hybrid if the weather gets nasty.
  • Son's Columbus X-Wing commuter needed some rear fettling and a new skewer fitting. In October it's scheduled for a strip-down and re-build though: he can do that.
  • Then turned his Cervelo S3 from race bike to hillclimber with a wheelset change from the 3T Mercurio 60mm wheels and GP4000S tubs to Mavic Ksyrium Exalith with 4000S (probably 5000S by the weekend) wheels. First hillclimb of the season for him is this Saturday in Halifax.
Just his winter commuter to get from storage, set up and we're ready to roll.

Oh, and I've still got to clean the old glue off his track 5 spoke and disc plus glue new tubs on. That might have to wait until tomorrow ...

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
So ... last night ... I was about to start off on an organised ride of some sort when I noticed that my left pedal was missing. Not only that but the end of the crank was tapered away to a point as if it had been dipped in acid. Fortunately I appeared to be in a garage or workshop of some kind and managed to borrow a crank extractor. Unfortunately I couldn't undo the crank retaining bolt because the only spanners I could find were weird pressed steel ones in very strange shapes, like the cone spanners for a Martian's bike.

Strange dream.

DCLane

Pulled the winter cross/spare wheels out of storage. They were covered in spiders webs and all sorts of stuff.

Used cross tyres fitted to the Fulcrum 5 LG wheels I'm going to use on my Avanti Circa in bad weather. Then checked the other 3 sets; son's winter cross and road wheels and an old pair that I'll use for a bit: all good.

Still got to clean the old glue off his race tubs. That'll be done - probably by him - this evening.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
When replacing cassette and chain on Koga last week, wondered about changing chain rings. Happy with gearing so counted teeth so I could replace like for like - 22-32-43! Yep, not 44 or 42, but 43 ... although the reason was that one of the teeth had sheared off! Never had that before. No idea when it happened.

Replacement ring has arrived, so fitted that today.
Had it really sheared off, or was the top missing? Teeth are cut down on some rings to assist changes between rings.

Annoying creaking coming from somewhere on carbon frame. Took several rides to narrow the cause down. Tightened up cassette a few degrees: gone!
I had the same thing on my (non-carbon) bike - it took me quite some time to work out where the noise was coming from.

Top Bottom