What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
@ColinJ Not just the tip of the tooth, but torn at the base. Bit like a tear in a slice of processed cheese! Really unusual.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Praxis GXP BB fitted. It's a much better made unit than the SRAM ones, with alloy 'caps' and a wavy washer on the drive side to hold the cap in. Compatible with road and MTB. It's also easy to service, pop the seals off and regrease. Came loaded with grease which is a good start.

I accidentally fitted the 2mm cap on the non drive side, rather than the 1.7mm - who knew 0.3mm would cause the bearing to bind slightly. Sorted that quickly.

The kit comes with 3 end caps of differing widths 1.7mm, 2.0mm and 3.something and 2 spacers. The spacers are for road 68mm frames. £31.50 from Merlin which isn't much more than the SRAM GXP's, for a much better unit.

Last edited:

JhnBssll

Veteran
Adjusted the brake levers on the stumpjumper, moved them slightly inboard and adjusted the bite point to bring it slightly closer to the bars. Theres loads of adjustability on these Hope levers but I haven't got it right yet :laugh:

I also adjusted the suspension - pumped the shock up a little and reset the damping to suit my tame local trails again :laugh:

Finally I popped the flat pedals back on her. I'll be taking the hardtail to the bikepark on sunday for some XC playtime but the stumpjumper is coming out for a play on monday after work ^_^

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
My stash of boxes of cycle spares, ready for Brexit .

Oooh well, there's a question...
Got the Claud Butler MTB out for a final tweak and clean.
Could not get the gears to index. It has new chain, cassette, cables, mechs and shifters. OK, the FD is original, the RD is new to it...
As I don't yet have quicklink remover, I swapped the Altus RD-M310, by cage dismanling, for an older 7-speed model. No change. After yet more fiddling and swearing, I dug out the original, even older, Acera 7-speed mech. Got it fitted, set limits and...perfect, almost first time*. Which is good on several levels. It's shiny and silver and looks better on the bike than the black Altus mechs. Had to reverse the B screw, but then 1994 mechs didn't envisage messing with 34t sprockets...
It's running 8-speed, which I never expected the Acera mech to cope with at that age, but you live and learn!

Will hopefully deliver it to younger son tomorrow!

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This evening I played with my son's orange fixie. The crankset was over a kilo and I was sure I could find a 46 tooth orange one. Eventually I have, 280g lighter, and fitted that along with putting the orange brake pads into silver holders rather than black. We're much happier with the result:

DSCF6531.JPG

JhnBssll

Veteran
That looks cracking :becool:

I've just spent some time fettling. I tweaked the saddle angle on the Pilot and dropped the stem 5mm. Theres just a 10mm spacer left under it now, I'll see how it feels on next weeks 100 miler but should be pretty close to perfect now :okay: I cable tied my rider number on too, nothing like being prepared :laugh:

20190921_215702.jpg

My old Kona caught my eye as I was locking up, I might give her a fettle in the near future as shes looking a little forlorn :laugh: I'm pretty confident she hasnt been ridden yet this year :shy:

20190921_215854.jpg

Top Bottom