What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Had the day off work today so after seeing @Arjimlad 's TCR with mudguards,I got a set myself,sks raceblade long..fittet with 25mm michelin pro 4 endurance..There is probably less than a mm clearance under the rear brakebridge bracket,hat to wedge an allen key beteen it and the tyre to get maximum clearance before tightening the brake caliper bolt.I didnt fit the rear front piece of mudguard as I did not have ball end hex keys to hand and it would of rubbed on the seat tube.Probably sunny skies for the foreseeable now they are fitted
That will soon clog up with mud. Part-solved the same problem on my old Ribble winter bike by dispensing with the bracket altogether and fitting a self adhesive felt pad on the guard to stop it rattling. The natural spring in the mudguard was easily enough to hold it in position against the brake bridge.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
New disc brake pads fitted front & rear on the Giant flatbar followed by cleaning & lubing the chain and pumping the tyres up a bit. Then, as it was too wet & miserable for a ride, the chains on another five bikes got the clean & lube treatment plus some air in the tyres. Nothing done to the other two bikes as they've not been ridden more than 40 miles between them in the past month.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Today I did a 'bike swap' at my work's storage unit; in went my son's orange Carlton fixie and my Principia TT bike. Out came my GT Timberline MTB and my son's Carrera Tanneri winter commuter.

The GT just needed a wipe down and was fine.

The Carrera needed cleaning, together with a new chain fitted.

All done and that's the winter/ice bike plus a winter commuter sorted.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Had a creaky click thing going on and discovered some play in BB so fitted a new Hollowtech 2 bottom bracket to my Kinesis Racelight this morning. Fairly straightforward although I did have to give the BB spanner a good braying to get the old cups off. There was a surprising amount of water in the BB shell.

20190927_085535[1].jpg

old bearings & cups, new bearings & cups

No play in BB now and a quick test ride up & down the street was OK but there's still a creaky click thing going on. Need to take it out for a longer test ride but weather iffy and real life stuff needs to happen before I can get out.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I squeezed the rear end of a Jim Bundy* track frame in a bit. It was 124mm but it's now 122mm, which means not having to ram the wheel in but is a bit closer to spec. Steel straight edge on the BB shell says the rear triangle is dead straight. Other than the slightly stretched rear (some philistine might have been running a 126mm hub?) it's the best-built frame I've seen. And I have a Ron Cooper.

I need to chase and face the BB shell and head tube next. It's having a cup and cone BB and headset, so it needs to be good. Came with a nice enough road fork but I've found a proper track fork which should fit. I like the feel of a track fork when climbing out of the saddle - no front brake rub and a bit less tyre scrub.

*Sydney, Australia framebuilder - legendary there. There are probably one or two of his frames in the UK.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
So I had a package arrive from a Dutch bike shop this week, with my new hub bearings and a new magnet to hold the folded bike together after one half of mine decided to jump ship one day.

IMG_20190926_162931983.jpg

I can almost strip this hub blindfolded now! So in two shakes of a lambs tail it was all in pieces on my workbench.

IMG_20190927_095616952.jpg

So I quickly cleaned and re-greased the bearing races before popping in the new bearings along with some new grease. Then it was back together again, ready for a full winters commuting duties.
IMG_20190927_101242422_2.jpg

The magnets were also fitted and finally I think I'm on top of everything, the bikes riding as smoothly as new and the coaster brake is producing some cracking rear wheel skids again.

Skanker

Just finished fettling a new battery pack for my nestling front light as original one decided to die on me. Currently charging it up using the charger from my 12v power drill so fingers crossed it doesn’t burst into flames!
BA004DD6-FAA5-4CF9-832B-5C6AC68505AD.jpeg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nothing much, other than a quick tidy in the garage and 'umming and arring' about whether the Aldi free standing bike hanger will be any good. It would have saved space, but both MTB's are d-locked and cabled together, which I couldn't do if suspended, so the answer was 'don't buy'.

Popped the bottom off the One-On Bobby Dazzler 2x LED light. The inner is sealed against water, and the plus point is it uses 2 x normal 18650 batteries, so if they pack in, you can just buy some quality ones (Samsung, Xtar etc).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Had an annoying creak on the commuter. Thought it was the new bottom bracket I fitted last week. So off with the cranks. The BB seemed fine and didn't need tightening. Putting the cranks back on I noticed that one of the crank bolts was very loose. So tightened it up along with the other bolts. So commute tomorrow will see if the bolt was indeed the culprit.

Top Bottom