What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skanker

I haven’t shaved in a very long time, my beard is like a permanent snood!

Manufactured a few head lamp mounts for trikes ,using welder , grinder , old handlebar, 6mm tee and plugs .
produced a jig to make them easier . Assaulted by matt black paint , now for the cup of tea

On the Trek 800:
Front derailleur. It gave me some grief riding today, but then seemed to index perfectly. Suspicious...
Front and rear V-brakes. Needed to balance to stop some minor rubbing, although could not see any un-true-ness in wheels.
Identified the need for a new BB. Need tools first!
Replaced saddle with the Selle Royalgel one from the Scott roadie. I have a problem with the other two saddles (Trek and Norco) in that they soak up water from the atmosphere. Bike lives outside under a cover. This makes the early part of any ride somewhat...moist. :biggrin: Hopefully this one won't be quite so absorbent.

Last edited:

JhnBssll

Veteran
Gave the commuter a minor fettle this evening, cleaned and lubed the chain, trued the front wheel and cleaned the brakes.

Tried to true the rear wheel but the nipples and seized, I'll ride it through the winter and think about replacing the rim and spokes in the spring. Hopefully I can find a similar rim and whip the stickers off as the front is fine having only recently been rebuilt with a dynamo hub.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Got the final bit of glue off my son's track wheels, so the new tubs are currently 'stretching' on a pair of clinchers for a couple of days and will be fitted Thursday.

Then started to strip down the Carlton I bought a couple of weeks ago; https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/carlton-catalina-or-constellation-arrived.253213/
Lots of non-original bits and the frame is mid-blue with red forks, so may be a different model from 1962 with Catalina forks. Much is very rusty!

Took the Mavic tub wheels off the probably-a-Gitane ( https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/new-arrival-gitane-or-something-else.252539/ ) to remove the old cracked tyres and the tub tyres just rolled off without any effort. I did 12 miles on them like that :eek:
Spare Campag wheels fitted and I'll decide whether to fit some spare tubs later, or just to sell the wheels as is.

Also had a cassette sort-out with several unwanted ones to go one sale.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Cleaned up a track fork from the Bay of Thieves. Seller didn't measure the steerer accurately and it's 3/16" short of the claimed 6", so it isn't long enough for my frame.

But...it's a truly great fork: straight, nice crown, sensible brake drop, only 677g, as light as a steel fork gets. I'll get Argos to replace the steerer tube when the frameset goes for respray.

si_c

Guru
Ordered a replacement set of brake pads for the new Trek, it's been a couple of years since I fettled rim brakes and I'd forgotten that you don't need to take the pad retaining grub out entirely and that if you do they are a pain in the arse to refit.

New Koolstops fitted though replacing the stock Tektro pads which I'm not a huge fan of - they're hard wearing but they don't provide the amount of control I'm used to with Discs. Now off for a ride to make sure they're toed in right.

Drago

Legendary Member
Rode to the Doctors a couple of villages along. Got back and the Felt was a bit grimy so gave it a clean and waxed the frame - that glossy red paint causes Y front turmoil every time I see it. Then tidied up the handlebar real estate, moved the Garmin onto the stem top cap leaving more room on the bars for the murder death kill slaughter evidence camera up on the bars.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Some more work on my Aunt's 1948 Raleigh: Refitted the repainted luggage rack, repaired the bell and spent a few hours getting through several sheets of aluminium foil to polish the heavily corroded chrome up to as good a shine as I can manage. After that it all had a good wipe down with some ACF50 which will hopefully keep further corrosion at bay.

After a couple of test rides and adjustments I think it's about as good as I can get for the moment. The rear reflector lens is missing so I'll have to see what can be done about getting a new one but apart from that I'm quite pleased.

The finished article:

It'll never look like new without a full repaint and rechrome but then it would lose the originality.

Top Bottom