What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I replaced the single-sided SPD pedals on my (road) singlespeed bike with double-sided ones. I just nipped out to the shops on that bike and it is much better when clipping in and out in stop-start traffic. I'd had a couple of near-misses trying to clip in quickly to sprint round a roundabout. Now I can just put my shoe on the pedal and clip in without having to mess about flipping the pedal.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nothing yet, but contemplating stripping the old Diamond Back MTB and dropping the frame off for powder coating and tarting it all back up with new cables all round ! What colour ? It's currently a darkish blue - either a slightly brighter metallic blue, or possibly a metallic dark gunmetal - all super glossy.

Leaway2

Lycrist
I put a cheeky bid on EBay for some Cane Creek cross tops and got them for £8. Just got round to fitting them today.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Made the decision to change the stem on my Raleigh Royal from the 100 mm it came with to an 80 mm one I harvested off a cheap donor Carlton. I've also shifted the saddle back about 1/4", so the net reduction in reach is 1/2", which doesn't sound much but is noticeable all the same. I don't like riding stretched out, preferring to be as upright as possible, so I've also maxed the stem height to the safety mark. Aero it isn't! :laugh:
When I've finished faffing around with the exact position of the brake levers, I'm intending to wrap the bars as my tape has now turned up from China.
One thing though, I'm going to wrap from top down, as it's a Raleigh, but if standing straddling the crossbar looking forwards, should I do the wrap from the rear towards the front wheel, or should I stand in front of the bike and wrap the tape towards the rear? Is one way superior to the other for making the tape stay put when being grasped during riding??

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I took everything off my bike today for a deep clean before I put all new Ultegra components on it some time this week.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Started putting new Ultegra components back on the bike, new chain set, derailleur, front mech, levers, new callipers, 11 speed cassette, and serviced and refitted the headset.
Just got to cable everything up now.

Edited to add; I haven’t got a clue what I’m doing, good job for the Zinn book and the interweb.

Attachments

• 44184970-6FDE-4B9E-A1E5-25633370FC09.jpeg
    44184970-6FDE-4B9E-A1E5-25633370FC09.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Am unable to resist the siren call of the Scott roadie, despite the shoulder problems. So, what can I do to reduce the problem?
Raise the bars a bit, for a start.
Just recently, I returned this bike to stock, bar the flat bars. So I decided to return the gearing to 11-34t, and keep the Sora drive train by use of a hanger extender. I also stole the Zoom stem from the Trek and returned that to quill stem. Pics:
Sora

Zoom

Trek

I'll ride the Scott for a bit, and if I can cope, then I'll transfer the 9-speed setup from the Trek, if possible still using the Sora kit.

Top Bottom