What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Singlespeed fettling saga, episode 27:

I repaired my chainwhip ready to have another go at removing the stuck-fast lockring. Broke the chainwhip again. Repaired the chainwhip again but STILL can't get the damn lockring off! I actually chiselled off one of the spacers to try and loosen the lockring but it didn't help... I reckon the problem might be due to corrosion.

It dawned on me that pouring boiling water on the lockring will probably make it tighter. Perhaps I could try freezing it?

An alternative might be to bypass the chainwhip and clamp the sprocket in a vice. I don't actually own one though... It would be quite a handy thing to own so I might buy one.

PS I had a flash of inspiration - I used a Mole Grip instead of a vice to hold the sprocket. Result... the damn lockring still won't budge, but at least I am not re-re-breaking the chainwhip! I am using such a ridiculous level of force now that I am worried that I am going to wreck the wheel or injure myself if something suddenly slips or breaks. The next attempt may involve the use of a hammer! :laugh: Either that, or get someone else to hold the Mole Grip so I could try standing on the 12 inch spanner, or use something long and strong to extend the spanner (scaffold pipe!?). The lockring tool is starting to deform under the load so that itself could break.

Last edited:

crossfire

New wheel time? If it`s only for the trainer then used or cheaper?
Just a thought
john

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Helping out at local "repair shop" ended up fixing the awful cheapo plastic brakes on an old ladies wheeled walking frame thingy.

Took my own mtb wheels along and changed over to the ice spiker tyres in anticipation of winter.

New brake blocks on the commuter but didn't have time for a new chain, tomorrow's job.

Managed 20 miles on the tandem after, including a perfectly timed hour in the cafe while the heavens opened.

All good!

ColinJ

New wheel time? If it`s only for the trainer then used or cheaper?
Just a thought
john
I'm beginning to think that myself!

A small friend was round today (5' 1" tall, probably about 50 kg in weight). I got her to hang onto the mole grips while I stood on the 12" spanner. She couldn't hold the tool down! Every time I pressed down on the spanner on one side, the mole grips on the other side went up but the lockring remained firmly locked.

Aaaaaaaargh!

I think I still have a crappy old rear wheel in the cellar. I'll check tomorrow.

Other fettling news...

I have been getting random squeaking noises from my singlespeed Specialized bike. I searched for the Usual Suspects but couldn't track down what it was. And then the penny dropped... it is due to my heels-in pedalling style.

Mucky cycling shoe.jpg

Yes, it's a mucky left side cycling shoe. A cycling shoe which has been gently polishing a left side crank! :banghead:

About to start re-building the X-Trail with Shimano 105 in it's new guise as all-round commuter/utility bike/gravel bike.

Well partly successful for the above.

Stripped down ok but had a couple of niggles mostly due to routing of rear brake hose which took longer than expected although did manage to squeeze the dynamo cable through with it though.

Had to cut off the olive and insert to route the front hose through the fork and then realised I had no replacements to re-connect to the shifter :rolleyes: :banghead: (just ordered some from SJS just in case Madison are out of stock).

Otherwise,rear mech on,forks cut and star nut in with stem and bars on.

So still to do;

Connect front hose and bleed both.
Fit 12mm end caps to front Hope hub.
Fit mech cable and set-up mech.
Fit rear rack and connect dynamo cable.
Re-fit bar tape and tidy all cables.

delb0y

Legendary Member
Thought I'd put the original 50mm tyres back on the Toughroad, as they're a bit more winter friendly when the trails and tow-paths get muddy. Alas, discovered that the mudguards I put on after dropping some slicker 38mm tyres on earlier this summer don't have enough clearance for the 50mm tyres. So I've ordered some new 38mm tyres with a bid of tread.

Anyone know of any mudguards that can accommodate 700c 50mm tyres?

Cheers
Derek

Skanker

placing vinyl tiles on the kitchen floor, self adhesive? right i have had to no nails glue them down :cursing:

I have also replaced the ball cock valve on my mums hot water header tank.
I laid some self adhesive(self pealing) tiles the other day, they now have the Evostick permanent carpet adhesive holding them in place, marvellous stuff!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Cleaned the Harry Quinn commuting fixie and removed and regreased the quill stem (did the seatpost 3 weeks ago). Also swapped the front wheel for the dynamo one. It still needs the front light fitting to its bracket, a brake pad change and a full winterising with vaseline on all the chromed steel nuts and bolts.

ColinJ

I think I still have a crappy old rear wheel in the cellar. I'll check tomorrow.
I went down there earlier and found a pile of front wheels, plus a broken rear wheel, but then, right at the bottom - a rear wheel that looked usable - yay!

It still had a cassette on it so I could choose which sprocket to use for a perfect chainline. Hang on, the freehub is kaput - I can turn the cassette in both directions! Oh, it needs servicing. I'll just whip off the cassette and give everything a good clean/lube.

And ... of course, my bloody chainwhip needs fixing again! :banghead::laugh:

Guests about to arrive for curry night. It will have to wait until tomorrow now.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If it's a Shimano freehub, black magic is required to get into it. I don't think you can crack one open with a pin spanner.

Top Bottom