What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
As mentioned elsewhere, I noticed an odd knock which I could feel through the pedals on the Raleigh last time out. Spinning the wheel at the end of the ride showed the hub bearings were as rough as anything which seemed to narrow it down so yesterday I investigated.

Non-drive bearings were clean and shiny but my heart sank over on the drive side when the magnet pulled out not just the ball bearings but also a clump of filings - not good.

It seems that two of the balls had started to disintegrate. Luckily the cup and the cone are undamaged so I was able to rebuild with new balls and all is sweetness and light again. It made sense to service the front wheel at the same time and give the bike a clean and a check over. The knockabout bike got a clean too while I had everything to hand.

I don't think they are meant to look like that!

Mike_P

Guru
Put a pod in the coffee thingy☕️☕️☕️☕️
Be careful, my Sainsbury's had almost sold out of them on Thursday, almost as scarce in that useless store as frozen veg.

Gunk

Guru
As mentioned elsewhere, I noticed an odd knock which I could feel through the pedals on the Raleigh last time out. Spinning the wheel at the end of the ride showed the hub bearings were as rough as anything which seemed to narrow it down so yesterday I investigated.

Non-drive bearings were clean and shiny but my heart sank over on the drive side when the magnet pulled out not just the ball bearings but also a clump of filings - not good.

It seems that two of the balls had started to disintegrate. Luckily the cup and the cone are undamaged so I was able to rebuild with new balls and all is sweetness and light again. It made sense to service the front wheel at the same time and give the bike a clean and a check over. The knockabout bike got a clean too while I had everything to hand.

View attachment 519606
I don't think they are meant to look like that!

I’ve never seen that before

Replaced the front inner cable on the Claude Butler, rear was done a few weeks back. After I got the old cable out I started to put the new one in, which proved a bit of a faff as the swivelly part that the pear end fit in came out. I laid the new cable down to take this swivelly out, thinking it would be easier to slide the cable through there first and then through the brifter hole and cable. When I went to pick the cable again, it had gone. Like, it was only about 2 minutes since I laid it down. I searched for a good 10 minutes for it, moving things here, moving things there. I went into a Victor Meldrew " I just don`t believe it". Then by magic I spotted it. It had slid off the bench and decided it liked the look of a garden waste bag at the side of the bench, I mean that cable came alive just like a slippery snake. I tamed it and fitted it and now ready to go !

Gunk

Guru
ok got to ask... is that black trombone slide on the side a family size D-lock?? if it isn't I wouldn't have put it past you to have made one to guard your loved ones

It’s one of these, a spare!

A87E57EF-49D4-4C3E-8A39-7AD76DFB4973.jpeg

8mph

Veteran
Swapped tubes and tyres over to my new disk wheels, replaced chain, removed front v-brake from and fitted a hydraulic brake. The bike feels more stable, which is either due to the rim being 10mm wider or 300g heavier than the old one.

Noob mistakes: First time I've used the Shimano quick link and I found it a faff. I didn't have the foresight to order a left hand shifter, so had to remove the brake lever to accommodate the hydraulic brake. The modification works but it'll need a new 3 x rapid fire shifter. Went to fit LX front mech but didn't have a shim, replaced the old deore mech, realised afterwards that the deore mech had a shim I could have used.

There's a little chain rub on the front mech when on the big ring. Tried tweaking the mech again but on closer inspection it turns out the chainring is slightly bent, have parts on the way.

Didn't get a ride in but I learnt a few things along the way. The bikes having a good overhaul, including BB, cassette, shorter stem, hi rise bars and pedals. I don't have a clue about servicing the old Manitou Elite forks, they ride OK but that job are well overdue.

Heigue'r

Veteran
Dropped the saddle height on my tcr sl..Ive had the bike setup allmost to the milimeter of my other tcr but it was never right.Ive tried everything to sort it out,saddle forwards,backwards,tilt up,tilt down.I could not for the life of me figure it out and put it back to same measurements of the very comfy tcr.Saddle height was probably 2 or 3mm higher on the sl but still was way out.Ive had laser levels out and plumb levels out trying to figure out how it was riding so different to the other tcr.All measurments were the same apart from the saddle being 3mm higher so I was not going to cut the post just to get the 3mm...last night I found the difference...the bloody pedal stack height..did not enter my mind to check as both systems are shimano double sided spd's..the £20 ones from decathlon are on the tcr pro and shimano xtr on the tcr sl..there is approx 5mm difference in these..I was tempted to order the parktool tool to cut it but as I had cut it allready and that went ok,it was out with the hacksaw,combination square,pencil and hoover..saved a few quid there^_^

Job done..test ride later or tomorrow as allready been out for a few miles today

Top Bottom