What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JPBoothy

Veteran
My hand.
Pams dog attacked Tara because she was playfully growling as I tickled her. This is from trying to break them up. My neck and chin are also cut and a few minor marks on my left hand.
Pams dog has now been permanently banned from my home. :angry:

View attachment 536809
That was a 'like' for sharing your story not for being bitten by the way :whistle:

What type of dogs are they?

Gunk

Guru
Bar tape again today, I wasn't happy with the brown tape on my Claud Butler, too brown, looked cheap and was horrible to the touch so I swapped it to black instead. this stuff was off eBay and it's been in the garage for years, but looks great and much nicer to the touch.

Last edited:

JPBoothy

Veteran
Bar tape again today, I wasn't happy with the brown tape on my Claud Butler, too brown, looked cheap and horrible to the touch so I swapped it to black instead. this stuff was off eBay and it's been in the garage for years, but looks great and much nicer to the touch. View attachment 536904
View attachment 536905

View attachment 536906
Well it looks good. There is definitely an art to putting bar tape on correctly. It is up there with putting mastic around the bath/shower in my opinion. If done right it looks great but if not then it looks bloody awful :okay:

JPBoothy

Veteran
Following a sudden seized rear wheel on my Cannondale CAADX that some how even managed to snap the QR skewer, I took the opportunity to have a good strip down while the wheel was away being rebuilt using a new sealed hub. The chain, chain-rings, cassette, jockey-wheels & cables are are all off and will soon be replaced, I have managed to open/clean and re-grease the sealed BB + Head/Fork bearing races, and a second hand pair of TRP Spyres arrived today which I have stripped/cleaned in readiness for putting back on tomorrow. I know there is a lot of mixed opinions on the Spyres but I decided they were worth a go if only to satisfy my own curiosity. I have even gone for new pads, compression less outer cable and a new disk on the front to 'try' and get the maximum benefit/improvement over my original Promax Renders. Once you start you can easily get carried away. I think bar tape will be the final piece of the jigsaw though :whistle:
I spent most of the day refitting, replacing and lubing so there is a strong smell of GT85 and Grease in the house tonight. I did make one schoolboy error though by deciding to snip my old brake outer cable into short pieces for the bin and then realised that it was in fact my other new one :blush:

JPBoothy

Veteran
Bar tape again today, I wasn't happy with the brown tape on my Claud Butler, too brown, looked cheap and horrible to the touch so I swapped it to black instead. this stuff was off eBay and it's been in the garage for years, but looks great and much nicer to the touch. View attachment 536904
View attachment 536905

View attachment 536906
I have decided to be brave and fit a coloured tape to my bike this time 'despite colours always getting dirty from your hands' but, I usually struggle with the ends being too bulky to get the plugs in. Any tips?

Cateye computer speedometer etc. Very pleased.

After installing a new suspension front fork Fitted a new longer disc brake hose and successfully filled it with oil so much so that it feels better than the rear which was done in an LBS, also had to fit a new crown race and level the saddle all ready for tomorrow’s off-road to the pub in the next village, what could possibly go wrong :whistle:

JPBoothy

Veteran
After installing a new suspension front fork Fitted a new longer disc brake hose and successfully filled it with oil so much so that it feels better than the rear which was done in an LBS, also had to fit a new crown race and level the saddle all ready for tomorrow’s off-road to the pub in the next village, what could possibly go wrong :whistle:
The pub could be closed :eek:

Survivor Bikes

Hi team. Got time for a quickie?

I extracted and cleaned up a Raleigh integrated side stand. (Part 1 of 2)
9DBEF7A9-A417-4538-A340-218E1B112FFF.jpeg

This frame will be used in an upcoming project. Prior to being blasted back to bare metal, it needs to be completely stripped down. All that remains on this one is the integrated side stand; which is found on a lot of Raleigh and Schwinn models of this vintage.
24F379A8-624B-4C42-8E4A-8C72E6F8F71D.jpeg

Now, I know everyone has their own technique for this; but I favour the ‘bit of notched 3/4 inch pipe’ approach. Basically cut off a couple of inches, and notch it, thusly...
11ACD34F-B35C-489B-A518-8A2420FE7203.jpeg

Next, you need to dig out a good quality G-clamp. As you can see, I’ve got a rather large one. Don’t let that put you off though; it’s how you use it that matters...
EA5FEA27-2A4F-476B-9475-6B1FA064D14F.jpeg

With the frame secured in a vise, arrange your G-clamp and bit of pipe as shown.
BE6303E8-4E09-4991-9646-10D190880E5D.jpeg

Then carefully compress the internal spring, until you can remove the small mushroom shaped retaining pin.
9B120410-9795-4D6A-B312-68243176673E.jpeg

0ECAFEA9-D536-4E14-A2C2-922223B8DEF9.jpeg

The internal parts can then be removed with ease; revealing the dogging action of this assembly.
46AB10DE-FAC0-4FF9-BC43-904ADE2EB10B.jpeg

0239902F-0F91-42F4-B1A5-087D42930797.jpeg

Returning to the vice, carefully compress the spring once more, in order to fully dismantle the assembly.
7F754902-8071-4171-839A-81F43AEE8B75.jpeg

End of part 1

Top Bottom