What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Survivor Bikes

I extracted and cleaned up a Raleigh integrated side stand. (Part 2 of 2)
CFDA427E-77CA-4AF8-9147-D96F3BC872AE.jpeg

Having dismantled everything, give your bits a quick clean...
CB55BA5D-786F-4761-88D8-A339E5818247.jpeg

On a side note, if you ever see a military surplus SA80 cleaning kit, grab one. The little brushes are perfect for small jobs like this.
2F4FA5E6-65DC-469F-AF71-B855DC1EBA31.jpeg

Finally back to the vise once more to reassemble the compression spring. It’s now ready to be lubricated and reinserted.
76E90830-A0D1-4E33-83D3-18E1859064ED.jpeg

Peace ☮

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Added cleats to my son's new Shimano SPD shoes. Hopefully get time to check the positioning tomorrow.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Ah, a non-marking rubber mallet. The cycle owner’s best friend 🙂
View attachment 537973
Ha Ha, good advice at the right time as the tape arrived yesterday and will be getting put on shortly. Yesterday's job was re-indexing (with a little help from GCN) after changing my gear cables. I dodged a bullet when the barrel adjuster got cross threaded though :ohmy:.. My CAADX looks so clean and sounds so smooth after a full strip down 'and many new parts' that it will be a shame to get it dirty now :becool:

JPBoothy

Veteran
Ha Ha, good advice at the right time as the tape arrived yesterday and will be getting put on shortly. Yesterday's job was re-indexing (with a little help from GCN) after changing my gear cables. I dodged a bullet when the barrel adjuster got cross threaded though :ohmy:.. My CAADX looks so clean and sounds so smooth after a full strip down 'and many new parts' that it will be a shame to get it dirty now :becool:
Phew, job done but it took me blinkin ages despite watching a few GCN/Park Tools YouTube clips beforehand. I tried the figure of 8, and the up & over but, there was still a sneaky bit of black hood/bar peeping through. After many re-wraps I managed to get the two little extra pieces they provide to stay in place while I mummified them. Luckily I had some spare 'screw-in' end plugs as the Selle-Italia tape was quite thick and the 'push-in' plugs would have been a struggle I think.. Even with the 'pursuader' (big mallet) :okay:

Survivor Bikes

Phew, job done but it took me blinkin ages despite watching a few GCN/Park Tools YouTube clips beforehand. I tried the figure of 8, and the up & over but, there was still a sneaky bit of black hood/bar peeping through. After many re-wraps I managed to get the two little extra pieces they provide to stay in place while I mummified them. Luckily I had some spare 'screw-in' end plugs as the Selle-Italia tape was quite thick and the 'push-in' plugs would have been a struggle I think.. Even with the 'pursuader' (big mallet) :okay:
Great job mate; time to luxuriate in the glow of a difficult job well done 👍

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
With selling my NeilPryde and TT's re-starting I've a few little jobs to do. First two done today;

- Principia TT2 Light had some cable adjustments before my first TT on Saturday near Northallerton. Son's TT bike needs a bit more work; that's tomorrow and it'll take 3 of us to figure out how.

- Son's PlanetX hillclimb rig had a Dura-Ace shifter swap: 9000 to 9070 on the left. A bit fiddly but it saved about 70g and we won't be using the shifter part anyway, just the brake. We're still considering dismantling and drilling it to save more weight.

Tom B

Guru
My fleet have given me an easy run recently but...

Came back of hols by the sea and gave Mrs Bs bike a clean up, she seems to pick up more crap on her jockey wheels despite less milage.gave them a good clean, and cleaned and lubed the chain. Noticed her noodles are looking a bit scabby but couldn't find any in my box.

I noticed when I took my bike off the roofrack.inhad a front flat. So stripped out the tube, inspected tyre and tube and could not fine any.air escaping, visually auditably or in a bucket. Reinstalled tube and pumped it up. But it's still losing air over 2-3 days.

Had noticed an odd bind or rub on the front brake that only occured when I got out of the saddle. Took the front caliper off hozed it down the brake cleaner and refitted. Problem solved.

Fiddled with my right pedal ( 520s ) but unable to make it hold the cleat well in any shoe, so I think the cleat holding bit is worn out.

Decided I need a new chainring as the current ring is more worn than the worn one I took off a few years ago. Umming and aaahhing about new ring or crankset.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A bit more work on the PlanetX hillclimb rig during my morning coffee break from work. The chain kept jumping off the jockey wheels when in the largest cog if pedalling backwards more than one revolution; that wouldn't normally matter but in a hillclimb it's common to get set with a holder. At 5.5kg with everything lightened we're working with some tight tolerances which makes it all a bit of a hassle.

So I changed the rear mech hanger and adjusted everything but it still kept coming off. The solution? :whistle: Think about the chainline :blush: . Swapping the chainring to the inner slot solved it. Maybe I should have considered that before :blink: .

Just need to get the steerer cut and we'll do a final photo onto this post. All working and we're happy with the outcome given the original budget was £500 without wheels: the cost turned out to be £635 and £935 with wheels/tyres.

This evening we started to remove the 'large' headset spacer from my son's Argon E-116 TT bike to lower the bars. It's got a weird 3D headset and a special tool's needed to dismantle it. Having bought this (it didn't come with the bike) we set about lowering his bars. Not the best photo but this was how they started this evening, having lowered by one spacer already - far too high:

DSCF6761.JPG

To remove the lower 3D spacers the forks needed to come out as they were part of the headset. Everything was stuck, dirty and/or dry which meant slow going. All parts were dismantled and cleaned with new grease. The tool, suggested in Argon's video to be simple to use, needed some 'persuasion' to work but we got there.

Bars lowered and some testing done: In some places you spend money in a wind-tunnel sorting out fit and reach. In my household you use me and a brother since the bars were loose, with mum taking the photos:

Argon-TT-setup.jpeg

He's happy with the fit and after a short test ride (in shoes & helmet), with slight saddle tilt, declared it better. Proper test-ride to follow before a TT on Saturday. The steerer's going to be cut as well once everything's sorted.

My NeilPryde's going to have to wait until tomorrow for a crankset swap.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
New brake cable and guide pipe fitted to grandson's bike, ably (!!) assisted by said grandson.

Cut the old cable and concertinered guide pipe.

Those cable ends are fiddly things for little fingers..

And all the old bits, plus 1 mug of tea and 1 mug of hot chocolate to aid fettling.

Test ride around the garden, a few adjustments
Proper ride around the park, with mum, later.

No swear words were used during this fettle! :becool:

👌

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Today I sorted out my noisy, squealing front disc brake.
I actually bought new pads in preparation for it, thinking it would be the surest fix, but on taking out the old ones there is only maybe 20 percent wear. I cleaned them and the rotor up with rubbing alcohol, refitted the pads and adjusted the brake, and now all is good. And I still have spare pads for the future!

Top Bottom