What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
£6.60 a sprocket and £18 for a chain (I ordered 2). A SRAM GX Eagle cassette is around £150. :wacko:

Never expected 4 years from a cassette on an MTB. I've eaten a chain ring in that time. ^_^

9 speed chains £8.99 ^_^

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
With 0 puncture protection

0 on the front, a bit on the back.

Genuine question, how much difference in the final time does he get from that sort of weight shaving?

The low weight should help him. He's 53kg and it's about 1.5kg lighter than his race bike.

We've done a back-to-back test between the two bikes (PlanetX vs Cervelo S3) and it's about 15-20 seconds over a mile uphill.

Drilling the brake pads? No time saving, but I like drillium :blush: . And drilling his carbon chainrings (38/40/42/44/46) would get a bit messy.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
0 on the front, a bit on the back.

The low weight should help him. He's 53kg and it's about 1.5kg lighter than his race bike.

We've done a back-to-back test between the two bikes (PlanetX vs Cervelo S3) and it's about 15-20 seconds over a mile updill.

Drilling the brake pads? No time saving, but I like drillium :blush: . And drilling his carbon chainrings (38/40/42/44/46) would get a bit messy.

He was talking 10 grams saving. Which is what I was referring to, not the overall weight. Drilling brakes for 10g, pointless .

C R

Guru
At those weights zero advantage just compromise, what do you mean by its 1.5kg lighter than his bike that doesn’t make sense in that context, unless his bike is +50kg 🙃🤣
I understood he meant that the hill climbing bike is 1.5kg lighter than the road bike.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
At those weights zero advantage just compromise, what do you mean by its 1.5kg lighter than his bike that doesn’t make sense in that context, unless his bike is +50kg 🙃🤣

His Cervelo S3 race bike is 7kg
The PlanetX hillclimb bike is 5.5kg

That's quite a difference in the weight weenies world of hillclimbing. BTW I'm using his Cervelo in the national hillclimb which will be my excuse :whistle:

I'm hoping to get my Longstaff trike down to 13.6kg for the Holme Valley Whs hill climb on the 10 October :rolleyes: ^_^

putting stock Ultegra on my Cervelo R5 replacing the custom super lightweight wheelset and campag has added 1kg its still 7.1kg with pedals bottle cages and garmin mount, doing the same on my Scott CR1 SL has taken it down to 7.2kg

I can see it wont be long before I put the lightweight wheels back on the Cervelo, matching groupset vs weight mmmmm :whistle:^_^

Might not use the Longstaff for the hillclimb as I have just picked up a Rogers with differential drive , it's running single speed at the moment with the option to run it fixed :ohmy: but it's a possibility and should be lighter than the Longstaff just needs new wheels it might even come in under 13kg :cycle:

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
Finished mounting SKS Wide mudguards on both left and right rear trike wheels. Obviously with a trike the stays can only be fastened to the inboard edge, so a minimum of four stays per side were required.

Frustratingly, none of the stays could run in a straight line from the fixing points to the mudguard edge - they've had to navigate around brake calipers and seat stays (a pipe bender produced some impressive curves). And the end result looks remarkably like last year's village fete Buzz Wire game.

Gunk

Guru
Finished mounting SKS Wide mudguards on both left and right rear trike wheels. Obviously with a trike the stays can only be fastened to the inboard edge, so a minimum of four stays per side were required.

Frustratingly, none of the stays could run in a straight line from the fixing points to the mudguard edge - they've had to navigate around brake calipers and seat stays (a pipe bender produced some impressive curves). And the end result looks remarkably like last year's village fete Buzz Wire game.

A post like that deserves some photos

figbat

Slippery scientist
Today I built my first ever wheel. Then I built my second. Using the original hubs out of the original 440 wheels on my Kingpin I laced them to a new pair of 451 alloy rims. The lacing process was therapeutic and enjoyable. I had a quick go at truing the rear wheel and quickly realised it needed more than a few minutes so I left it and will go at it fresh tomorrow.

D8BC0B6B-3AFD-42DE-B6F8-A5E8F6FD94C4.jpeg

E1EA658A-3F6C-483D-B98A-E9A4F002C7FD.jpeg

14A6D7B5-D7B3-4818-9C4B-CAD6A2793CA9.jpeg

EAA7846F-656F-4250-88C6-958B332AA0E0.jpeg

Top Bottom