What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Cleaned the chain and cassette on the Racelight after ride in pretty grim conditions yesterday. I'd hosed the bike off afterwards so the worst was off the bike, but the chain had gone slightly rusty as had parts of the cassette.

All sorted now although the wheelset needs a good clean to get the crap off.

Availability not great for a 12-36 so I've plumped up for a slight upgrade from a 1050 to a 1070 cassette, with two chains. £102 poof gone. :whistle:

Thank goodness it's not 12 speed or the bill might be 3 times that. :ohmy:

Ouchie! I feel your pain... (or rather, your wallet's pain)

si_c

Guru
Emergency chain repair today. On shifting down from the big to small I got some chain suck under load. Chain jammed on frame. Well, one link twisted on the chain. Crank Bros multi tool to the rescue, bent link out, and fitted a spare quicklink.

Time for a new chain and cassette. I've got just over 4 years on the MTB cassette and two chains. A new chain isn't going to mesh with the cassette, so time to change. Availability not great for a 12-36 so I've plumped up for a slight upgrade from a 1050 to a 1070 cassette, with two chains. £102 poof gone. :whistle:

Thank goodness it's not 12 speed or the bill might be 3 times that. :ohmy:
Eep! :ohmy: That being said I've just replaced the 11-46 on the MTB a week or so ago - dreading replacing the GX Eagle cassette on Mrs Cs MTB:crazy:

JhnBssll

Veteran
Brakes arrived for the commuter this morning ^_^ Seems Hope have started shipping calipers with a bleed syringe with is jolly decent of them :becool:

You may notice I've been my usual tarty self and ordered some blue bore caps, which also arrived today 😄 I've got a few different sizes of hope bore cap tools and knew I had the right ones for these so had them swapped out fairly quickly...

I popped the rear one on first, bolted it roughly in place and trimmed the hose to length. I had already fitted the hose at the lever end, and run it through some heatshrink tubing with the dynamo wire for neatness. Once it was all the right length and I'd put the barb and fittings on I got the heat gun out and shrank it down :okay:

popped the back wheel in to check for clashes and all is good :okay:

Same again at the front but minus the heatshrink :laugh: This time I had to bend the upper mudguard stay slightly to allow it to pass around the caliper without touching.

Once both hoses were fitted I unbolted both calipers and let them spin around to release the twist in the hose before refitting them - tightening the fittings on these seems to wind the hose around with them so you can build up quite a bit of twist if you're not careful :laugh:

I'm now off out to dinner and will likely be late home, but will try and get some mineral oil in them and give them a bleed before I go to bed 😊

Landsurfer

Veteran
Had a quiet morning testing a traction controller for installation on a train in Dartford tomorrow afternoon
346 Fine English Miles ...
Probably take me 3 days + to cycle there and back .... but it's work ... so need to back the same day ..:sad:
So off on the "super high risk" Motorbike ..... ^_^ Eat your heart out Covid ...:laugh:
p.s ... work are paying me 60p a mile non taxable expenses ... HUZZAH !

Last edited:
A couple of lists ticked

Commuter;
(2017 Ribble CGR)
- pump up of tyres (as I was feeling tree-roots, when heading home through NewLands Woods)
- wipe-over of chain/jockey-wheels/chain-rings with a 'red' diesel rag
- brake pads taken out to check for wear
- 3 of the rear-lights taken off to put on charge
- magicshine front light taken off to charge
(4 front lights/4 rear lights)

My car;
(2011 Skoda Octavia estate 1.6Tdi)
- oil level checked (first time I've physically touched car since going to York on Sunday, but going to Sutton-in-Ashfield, tomorrow afternoon)
- tyre pressures checked
- washer bottle topped up
- air filter taken out/visually examined for condition

Wifes Toyota C-HR hybrid, & daughters Vauxhall Adam were checked yesterday tea-time

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Anyhow, today's fettling was simply to let some of the air out of the Bootzipper's tyres. It's a rigid 29er that I mainly use on road and some smoother bridleways so I keep the tyre pressure at around 45psi for road bias. Tomorrow I'm planning on going up to Rutland Water which is more off road & rougher so the tyres have been dropped to around 25psi for a bit of bump absorbtion.

Top Bottom