What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Fitted a new crank to the Raleigh Sojourn, after finding a newer, wider spaced crank arm for the non-drive side. I was then able to fit a narrower BB, so the 9 speed rear won't have issues when some cross-chaining is going on. While I am not a big fan of compact frames on a full-dress tourer, I think this bicycle may change my mind. It will depend on how it functions with panniers and touring load.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Noticed a light squeek from the MTB when climbing. The chain and cassette was overdue a clean so dissassembled and degreased. On assembly, found the cassette was slightly wobbly. Re-assembled, the same. Popped the non-drive side end cap off the axel and undid the drive side cap, and popped the freehub off. The outer of the two bearings has a little play on the freehub. Ordered two 6902 bearings from Wych and I'll be pressing the old ones out upon arrival. The hub had new bearings six months ago - they are OK.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Finally got a proper test ride in on the Ventus with the new carbon seatpost - even with carbon assembly paste used and the clamp done up with the torque wrench set at 6nm there was a bit of slippage so I've reset everything and gone for something around 10nm with no cracking noises heard yet (I may have rounded off the allen key head though). Also there was a nasty rattling noise from the back wheel, but I recognised that from a different bike as a loose cassette so the wheel was whipped off when I got home and tightned up the lock ring.

fossyant

Must say, in the two sets of 'formula' hubs I've had, they are easy to service. The bearings arrived earlier this morning. Popped the freehub in the vice, but the bearings wouldn't pop out (being careful). As I couldn't see a circlip, I drifted the outer bearing out with a flat head screwdriver - that popped out easily. Inner bearing was held in by a circlip. Checked it and the inner bearing was perfect, so left it. The outer one was rough and had play, so just pressed a new bearing in using a socket and the vice.

All sorted and freehub perfect again.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Replaced spoke in rear wheel.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Fitted and fettled the two wheels I built yesterday to the commuter. Wrapped the bars. Posted the faulty R7000 mech back to Wiggle and ordered a replacement from BikeInn. Swore about Hermes after the parcel that was due today containing my new brake calipers didn't arrive :rolleyes: There's always tomorrow...

I'm really pleased with the wheels, the 32mm Gatorskin tyres measure 35mm when mounted and inflated so should be a comfy ride 😊 Poor thing has put on a bit of weight though with the slightly more rugged rear wheel and she was hardly svelte beforehand :laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Must say, in the two sets of 'formula' hubs I've had, they are easy to service. The bearings arrived earlier this morning. Popped the freehub in the vice, but the bearings wouldn't pop out (being careful). As I couldn't see a circlip, I drifted the outer bearing out with a flat head screwdriver - that popped out easily. Inner bearing was held in by a circlip. Checked it and the inner bearing was perfect, so left it. The outer one was rough and had play, so just pressed a new bearing in using a socket and the vice.

All sorted and freehub perfect again.
That was supposed to my task today! My new bearings arrived, I got the freehub apart, but then discovered that I need the old 12 mm steel axle type, rather than the newer 17 mm hollow alloy axle type - double drat!!! :banghead:

fossyant

The Formula freehub is very simple. It's basically a cylinder. The pawls are 'external', and engage the serrations on the hub, and then two bearings and a spacer are pressed in.

fossyant

That is a Campagnolo rebrand, isn't it? If so, that's probably equivalent to the freehub that I've got! (On Campagnolo Khamsins.)

No I don't think they are - Formula are a bit of a generic brand (far eastern) - I think FFWD are a Campag brand. This is MTB, so Campag only had a brief spell in the 90's with their MTB gear - my word it was lovely though.

fossyant

Emergency chain repair today. On shifting down from the big to small I got some chain suck under load. Chain jammed on frame. Well, one link twisted on the chain. Crank Bros multi tool to the rescue, bent link out, and fitted a spare quicklink.

Time for a new chain and cassette. I've got just over 4 years on the MTB cassette and two chains. A new chain isn't going to mesh with the cassette, so time to change. Availability not great for a 12-36 so I've plumped up for a slight upgrade from a 1050 to a 1070 cassette, with two chains. £102 poof gone. :whistle:

Thank goodness it's not 12 speed or the bill might be 3 times that. :ohmy:

Top Bottom